Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilbeggan Distillery Night

Options
  • 28-09-2010 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I always mean to post up our nights here but keep forgetting so apologies. So if anybody is free tomorrow night ye would be more than welcome.

Kilbeggan Distillery

Date:Thursday, September 30th (This Thursday Night )
    Time:
    Doors open: 7:30pm (please wait in the bar before this time so we can set up the room)
    Tasting begins: 8:00pm sharp
    Where:Brooks Hotel,
    Drury Street, Dublin 2.
    Tickets:Members: €15
    Non-members: €22.50
    Please reserve and pay for your place on our booking page.

Event Description

Locke's Distillery at Kilbeggan in County Westmeath is a magical place. With its spectacular waterwheel and picturesque setting on the river Brusna, its centuries-old edifice has long stood tall in Kilbeggan village.
    But like so many other Irish distilleries, its fall into disuse and disrepair was a tragic one, and for more than half a century, it was a mere monument, its stills sadly silent.
    Built on the site of an early medieval monastery, the derelict distillery was reputedly haunted, and the volunteer heritage workers who strove to maintain the site during its long slumber often reported seeing strange lights and being disturbed by noises that could not be explained.
    But against all odds, the distillery was maintained for decades by a determined group of locals who hoped to see whiskey produced there once again. Chief among them was Brian Quinn, now the distillery manager, and Bernadette Quinn, who now oversees product development.
    Cooley bought the site in 1988 and transformed it into a whiskey museum and storage centre in which their casks of whiskey could slumber.
    But it was always their intention to bring Locke's back to life again, and only a few years ago, the stills at Locke's roared into use once more. Earlier this year, the first new whiskey from Locke's in more than half a century was bottled.
    The amazing tale of Kilbeggan, simultaneously Ireland's oldest and newest distillery, is one of hope for Ireland's once moribund whiskey industry.
    The Irish Whiskey Society is delighted to welcome Brian and Bernadette Quinn, who will tell the magical story of how Locke's Distillery came back to life.
    And they've promised to bring some special drams along for us to enjoy, which hopefully will include the very special new Distillery Reserve Malt - the first whiskey made on site for 53 years.
    Brian Quinn is a noted raconteur and a living repository of profound whiskey knowledge, and the society is honoured to welcome both him and Bernadette.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Date:Thursday, September 30th (Tomorrow Night )
    It's not, you know.

I really must get along to one of these some time. Please do keep posting them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's not, you know.

I really must get along to one of these some time. Please do keep posting them here.

Doohhh ... Thanks ... been a long week and it's only Tuesday :o

Edited.

Won't be there myself ... a 7 month old is preventing wanton abandon :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

a 7 month old is preventing wanton abandon :(
    I thought they had to be a minimum of three years old before you drank them ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

BeerNut wrote: »
    I thought they had to be a minimum of three years old before you drank them ;)

If you put the whiskey in their milk then it's usually ok.

Advertisement