Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's you favorite part of the Christmas dinner?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

Namlub wrote: »
    Who puts butter on roast potatoes :eek:

I know, I found that so odd as well :D. I think butter would ruin a nice roast spud

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I like the slightly weird side of Christmas - pickled walnuts (Opies are the only people who make them, I think) with hot mash, cold turkey and ham and salad on Stephen's Day. Stilton and cranberry jelly sandwiches. The crunchy streaky rashers from the top of the bird. Amontillado sherry (never drink it the rest of the year). Snowballs (the cocktail). Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

The dessert!!

The actual dinner is always lovely as well but the dessert is the best part.

Opening naff crackers is always fun too and the dog trying to decide who to beg for food off of!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Post dinner Snowballs!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Without a doubt its the sprouts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

My mouth is watering already................

this is last yrs offering !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Looks great I can never get my ham right any tips would be appreciated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

My ham work starts on Dec 23

Dec 23

i steep it in water to draw out some salt.

Dec 24

I boil it in half water half orange juice for about 4 hrs ( changing the water once to rid it of salt )

Then i let it cool a bit and peel back the main layer of fat with a sharp knife. I then score the top of the ham with a the knife in a cris cross fashion. I then cover the top of it in a good quality orange maramlade and put cloves in the slites done in the top of the ham.

I then cover the top with honey and pop in the oven for about 2 hrs at 180c. I top up the level of honey on top.

I let ity cool and have a sneaky sambo on batch bread later that evening !

There is a pic of last years finished ham attached !

Dec 25

Enjoy !

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Threads merged, we already have a mountain of Christmas dinner threads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Christmas cake nom nom nom.

And roast potatoes. I really like roast potatoes but rarely eat them :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

A whole pot of gravy just for me. Don't normally eat potatoes either, so having a tonne of roasties is always good!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

2am and I'm seriously thinking of whipping up a mound of mash and some veg with gravy after reading this thread. Makes me want a nice "mammy" dinner. :D

My fantasy plate, nicely roasted potatoes, really creamy sweet garlic mash with scallions, fresh croquettes from M&S (not the frozen ones), quorn roast, sprouts with a dash of cream and broken up bits of veggie "bacon", roasted parsnips and carrots and a big jug of thick salty gravy.

I prefer to keep the cranberry for the sambos later that evening. Leftover mash spread on toast, slight spread of cranberry and a strong cheese, heated until it's all crispy on the outside and gooey/sweet/tangy on the inside. Variations include adding quorn roast and mashed up sprouts or frying the leftover mash, frying an egg and having that on toast with loads of cheese. I will probably have one of each variety. :o

Dessert - I'm stumped for this year, I want something light and sweet like pavlova or eton mess but is that too summery?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Pavlova - the all year round dessert...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

the ham when i get the crusty bit with the mustard and brown sugar that has been toasted - yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Bev

Cranberry sauce! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Exoskeleton

Roast shpuds for sure!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Sprouts. End of

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPT

Crispy roast potatoes all the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Ooh roast potatoes, om nom nom. <3 And stuffing, I love stuffing! And pavlova for dessert, mmm! Only 1 week to go! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭smares

potato croquettes i love them and for some reason they taste the best on Christmas day

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

So much to choose from! I think creamed/mashed potatoes, turkey leg, bread sauce and delicious stuffing balls are my favourites. I couldn't choose between those though.

My sister and I spend hours making the stuffing on Christmas Eve (usually ends up with some cut fingers from chopping onions and celery and grating lemons) and then Mum makes it into little balls on Christmas day and roasts them in the oven, so they're nice and crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside. Like a festive armadillo!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

smares wrote: »
    potato croquettes i love them and for some reason they taste the best on Christmas day
    I get Marks and Spencer ones- they are just so yum!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭claire2010

Creamy mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, turkey, ham , sprouts, stuffing, gravy on meat and stuffing

Pavlova/banoffi pie

Yum!! :)

Advertisement