Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New neighbours in modern managed apartment block - insane noise and disruption

Options
  • 28-09-2010 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

Some new neighbours have just moved in above my gf in a very new, modern, managed apartment block (I won't say which one, other than it's upmarket and in Dublin).

On Saturday, we were woken after 5 am by pumping dance music and banging doors, moving furniture, people screaming etc. We alerted security who said they'd have a word, which they did, and the music was turned down for about 5 minutes before going back up again. There were people in the corridors and on the staircase and smoke was pouring out of the apartment.

Security called up to them again at 7.30 and 8.15, with no change in music. The music continued until about 11 am, when people started leaving. I would estimate there was at least 20 people at the party, and perhaps as many as 50. The occupiers appeared to be students aged about 20.

We had notified the Gardai after security had failed to have any effect; they said there was nothing they could do. Keeping in mind these people moved in on the Tuesday before hand, it is does not bode well for the future. If this happens again, or just the general ignorant attitude towards noise continues during the working week, she would have no option but to move out.

I guess the question is, what course of action can be taken? In general, what powers do management companies have to deal with tenants like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I know they should be considerate, but maybe you are jumping the gun. They just moved in and you describe just one incident which may well have been a "house warming" party.

Give it a couple of weeks before you panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

koHd wrote: »
    I know they should be considerate, but maybe you are jumping the gun. They just moved in and you describe just one incident which may well have been a "house warming" party.

Give it a couple of weeks before you panic.

One incident is a party that goes on til 4 or 5 am for a housewarming - that would have been grand.

A situation where security call three times, between 5 am and 9 am, music continues until 11 am and no recourse or genuine apology is made; unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

mloc wrote: »
    One incident is a party that goes on til 4 or 5 am for a housewarming - that would have been grand.

A situation where security call three times, between 5 am and 9 am, music continues until 11 am and no recourse or genuine apology is made; unacceptable.

Have to say I would have gone up there myself in the first instance and had a word, nothing heavy but letting them know I'd like them to cool it a bit.

As have been said I'd give it some time and see do they make a habit out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I disagree...if the rules say no noise after 10pm/Midnight (which any developments I've encountered have said), then 4am is not acceptable. By turning a blind eye to a 4am party you set a precedent.

In this case it's definitely one for the Management Agent and Management Company. If your gf is renting, she needs to go through her landlord. But she should be entitled to quiet enjoyment of her property.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

athtrasna wrote: »
    ... In this case it's definitely one for the Management Agent and Management Company. If your gf is renting, she needs to go through her landlord. ...
    Make a specific, detailed complaint to your landlord (if you are renting), to the upstairs landlord (if they are renting) requesting that the PRTB anti-social behaviour third-party complaint letter be issued to the tentants in the upstairs property, see here - http://www.prtb.ie/act.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

OP, I'd waste no time and get straight onto the landlord. These guys have set the bar for their parties. Do people think they'll quit future parties at a reasonable hour, and there'll be less noise because it's not a house warming??? If this is how these guys have announced themselves don't show them any courtesy and make the complaint now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 triskellion

Eusure the building management company are aware of what has happened, write to them to make certain and request they send a registered letter to the occupants informing that they are in breach of building regulations.
    If they are tenants, their landlord will receive a copy of the letter. If you know the landlord, cc. them on the correspondence also. They can then follow up with a written notice to the tenants informing them that they are in breach of building regulations and that any further breach may result in an eviction notice.
    Eviction in any situation is difficult however if you can provide evidence (as seems possible in this case) the matter may carry more weight.
    If they are tenants that can also be followed up with the PRTB. However as they have just moved in, the tenancy may not have gone through the red tape yet.
    It's likely however that the threat alone will quiet them down.

Advertisement