Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attack in Renmore

Options
  • 28-09-2010 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Very similar to previous post regarding attack in Dun na Coirbe. Young girl (15) attacked in Renmore this evening (8-8.30pm) while waiting for a lift from her mum. She managed to get away & the guards were called. Upshot is they arrested a man for this. He had 2 knives when arrested so I think this girl was very lucky. I don't have any link for this but the girl is a relation so I know the story is true. He's in custody in Mill St, for the moment... I hope they keep him

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

trish23 wrote: »
    Very similar to previous post regarding attack in Dun na Coirbe. Young girl (15) attacked in Renmore this evening (8-8.30pm) while waiting for a lift from her mum. She managed to get away & the guards were called. Upshot is they arrested a man for this. He had 2 knives when arrested so I think this girl was very lucky. I don't have any link for this but the girl is a relation so I know the story is true. He's in custody in Mill St, for the moment... I hope they keep him

I just posted about this in the Dun na Coiribe thread; a friend who was in the scout hall at the time texted me about it. Can't believe the guy had two knives; what a scumbag; glad your relation is ok; poor girl must have got a terrible shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

Thanks, Madame Razz, she's fine but I believe badly shook. I'm just shocked that this would happen, regardless of the time but certainly that early, anywhere in Galway. I know these things happen but I've still always thought we lived in a 'safe' part of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since the assailant was arrested I have removed the "Warning" in the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Jesus. The Den? That's like a minute up the road. Hopefully he'll be kept in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Trish, I hope the poor girl is ok, dirty scumbag glad he was caught hope something actually gets done about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Poor girl. Hope she'll be alright, what an awful thing to happen to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

Jesus. The Den? That's like a minute up the road. Hopefully he'll be kept in.

I agree,look what happened when they let out someone else for a similar offence,i don't think they are gonna make the same mistake twice :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I hope your relation is OK trish. My heart goes out to her.

DOTHEDOG wrote: »
    I agree,look what happened when they let out someone else for a similar offence,i don't think they are gonna make the same mistake twice :mad:
    trish23 wrote: »
    Thanks, Madame Razz, she's fine but I believe badly shook. I'm just shocked that this would happen, regardless of the time but certainly that early, anywhere in Galway. I know these things happen but I've still always thought we lived in a 'safe' part of Ireland.

Better get used to stuff like this.

You see these days its cheaper to let prisoners back out then to pay to keep them locked up, it doesn't make any difference to the Government who they attack or rob from, it's keeping the bills down.

Was reading recently that something like 1/3 prisoners or some similar ridicules number were been given early release, not to mention the petty sentences for most offences(6 months for assault, you do HALF.... EVERY time :mad:) that only clock up a few months each.

It came to light when some lad who was given early release after something like two/three weeks ended up murdering someone(and who committed the second bout of offences while on a suspended sentence...... exact details i can't remember but it's something like that)

Fact is unless you murder someone is this country you won't do more then a year in prison, if i go to court in the morning on say a drink driving charge i get the same sentence as some piece of dirt who has 1000 convictions, and you also have the problem where a scumbag shows up who on four different dates committed various crimes but only gets say a year as for the crimes he committed a year is all he can get.

That way they know when they're waiting on court ''i can do what i want, i won't get any more time added :)''

Personally i think the most important thing to have is security and safety, schools can fall to ****, hospitals aren't needed by us all today but having low lives walk the earth effects us all, i'd personally come down hard on them if i had the power.

I'd build another 3/4 prisons, up the re-offending sentence time, overcrowd the cells and keep spending to the min', but most of all remove the good behaviour bull* where scumbags only do HALF of their sentence each time they get one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

http://www.galwaynews.ie/15260-teenager-arrested-after-knife-incident-city

I sincerely hope he was the asshole at Dún na Coiribe last weekend and that there aren't 2 of these around the city.
    September 29, 2010 - 10:50am
    TEENAGER ARRESTED AFTER KNIFE INCIDENT IN CITY

A 17-year-old Connemara boy is being questioned by Gardai after he approached a teenage girl with a knife in the city last evening.

The incident happened outside Renmore Community Centre at around 7.45pm as the 15-year-old girl waited for a lift home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

Knife crime is on the increase in Ireland.
    Stiffer sentencing needs to be employed to deter people carrying knives.
    The other factor is educating young people on the damages inflicted on society.
    Showing teenagers in the UK videos of knife injuries sustained from attacks in schools, has reduced the numbers carrying knives. This has worked in conjunction with stiffer sentencing. The same tactics should be employed in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Maybe I've missed it, so correct me if so, but I don't see any mention in the Advertiser today of either attack, which is disappointing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Would suggest he's no stranger to Gardaí.

He's only 17...I can only imagine what he could be progressing to in 10, 20 years.

It's these cases; this guy, the Dun na Coiribe guy etc., that I wished we had a Battle Royale-style justice system - they get shipped off to the Aran Islands, given some random weaponry, and the last person that survives gets redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

It's these cases; this guy, the Dun na Coiribe guy etc., that I wished we had a Battle Royale-style justice system - they get shipped off to the Aran Islands, given some random weaponry, and the last person that survives gets redemption.

Hmm you want to release the strongest? I'd prefer to release the first dead ;)

seriously though, nasty piece of work - second this week too. These kinds of predators need to be locked up (or controlled). They don't have a place in society imo.

Advertisement