Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Connemarathon half training diary

Options
  • 28-09-2010 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all, Boards newbie here. I’ve decided to start this diary in the hope that it will inspire me to keep on with my training for the Connemarathon half, as cleverly alluded to in my title. I entered the 2010 half but kept putting off starting my training, so it ended up that I woke up one morning and thought ‘Aaaghhh! I’m doing a half marathon in two months!’ and threw myself into an ambitious training regime, despite not being able to run the length of myself beforehand. Not a well thought out start I have to admit.

Long story short: I tried to do too much too soon, ended up hurting myself and wasn’t able to run on the day. Admittedly it wasn’t a total bust, as I went down anyway to cheer on my brother who was running the half, and had a great weekend. But on the spectators’ buses out to the finish line, I couldn’t help but wish I was running. The atmosphere, even on the bus but especially at the race, was so amazing; the high was contagious.

So, on a whim (and possibly fuelled by a couple of cheeky Bulmers with the runners afterwards at the hotel at Maam Cross) I rang one of my best friends and nagged her into running the half with me next year. Fast forward a few months and here I am – just signed up to the 2011 half marathon with my friend, and boy does the prospect terrify me. I’m not particularly fit – I walk a couple of miles most days and I’m on week 3 of the C25k programme, but otherwise I’m pretty inactive – and I have zero confidence that I’ll be able to achieve my goal.

I’ve been reading various inspirational logs here for a while and hope that in a few months I’ll be running a good few miles like the rest of ye. But for now it’s going to be C25k. I really want to finish this half marathon, even if I have to crawl over the finish line on my hands and knees with my tongue hanging out. So I hope that keeping a log of my training will help me to keep going and drag me out of the house on those rainy cold wet evenings when I’d really rather be elsewhere. Fingers crossed! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Welcome to the logs and best of luck with the training. Hoping to do the half in Connemara next year myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good luck with the training.
    Keep up with the couch to 5k, it's a good programme that loads of people on here (including me) started out with. If you finish that programme you'll be in great shape to start training for Connemara.
    The key thing is to be consistent - if you do all your runs and follow the plan, you'll be able to build your fitness slowly up to half-marathon standard. Start missing runs and either you'll drop out completely or you'll rush to get back on track and maybe get injured. So just follow the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck with your log and the C25k training. I started with C25K myself and found it great. If you stick with it, you be moving onto a half-marathon training plan in no time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭shoegal!

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement guys! I'll be keeping an eye on your logs for inspiration as my training progresses!

Received my Garmin GPS watch in the post this afternoon, woohoo! I decided to splash out on one in anticipation of all the big long runs I’ll be doing as the months progress. I better stick to this now after spending all that money!!

The postman was curious about what had me so excited so I explained what was in the parcel, and that I was going to run the half marathon next year. There was something about his raised eyebrow and the cynical glance he cast at my... shall we say ‘well padded’... figure that suggested he wasn’t entirely convinced that I’d achieve this aim. Well you wait and see Mr Postman!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

welcome to the logs and best of luck with the training. +1 on what guys are saying about the C25k plan, it's how I started too.

Have fun with the Garmin too :D

shazkea wrote: »
    welcome to the logs and best of luck with the training. +1 on what guys are saying about the C25k plan, it's how I started too.

Have fun with the Garmin too :D

Thanks Shazkea, it's always great to hear about other people starting out with the C25k, makes me feel I'm in good company! Funny I was just looking at your log a while ago, your post about getting over the physio with lots of wine made me laugh, it's right up my street!! :D

Anyway took my shiny new toy out on my W3 D2 today, it took me 27 minutes to walk/jog 1.9 miles. Hmm... doesn't sound great but sure I have to start somewhere! :o

Finished week 3 day 3 yesterday, it was grand although my dodgy ankle was a wee bit sore towards the end. Looking forward to starting week 4 on Monday!

Hmm... Well that didn't go entirely to plan. I set my alarm for 7am this morning, planning to get up and head into the nearby forest park to start my Week 4 day 1 run, as a change from the boring training so far, running up and down our big long lane at home. But... it was so cold and rainy and miserable outside, and I was so nice and warm in bed, that I didn't make it out. Pure laziness.

So the run didn't happen today. And I'm not working at the moment so I can't even use being busy as an excuse. In fairness, there is a lot going on at home right now, we have builders in etc but I could easily have spared half an hour if I'd organised myself better.

I've taken on board what RayCun said about not missing a run and following the plan, cos I know if I do I'll end up putting this off and ending up in the same situation I was in last year, leaving everything to the last minute and then not being able to do it. So I'm definitely starting W4 tomorrow. Even if there's a cyclone outside!! (Tempting fate there knowing our weather!)

W4D1 done today. It consisted of:

5 min warm up
    3 mins jog
    1 1/2 mins walk
    5 mins jog
    2 1/2 mins walk
    3 mins jog
    1 1/2 mins walk
    5 mins jog
    2 mins warm down

2.04 miles/3.28 km in 28 minutes.

I did not enjoy it one bit! My legs felt like lead, especially during the first couple of jogs, and I found that I kept glancing at my watch, willing time to move faster.

I think it was maybe because I didn't sleep too well last night so wasn't feeling all that sprightly. I hope so anyway. Going to do the second day on Thursday maybe and see how that goes, and if it's still awful I might repeat week 3 again. I can't wait to start enjoying running instead of forcing myself to do it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

shoegal! wrote: »
    W4D1 done today. It consisted of:

5 min warm up
    3 mins jog
    1 1/2 mins walk
    5 mins jog
    2 1/2 mins walk
    3 mins jog
    1 1/2 mins walk
    5 mins jog
    2 mins warm down

2.04 miles/3.28 km in 28 minutes.

I did not enjoy it one bit! My legs felt like lead, especially during the first couple of jogs, and I found that I kept glancing at my watch, willing time to move faster.

I think it was maybe because I didn't sleep too well last night so wasn't feeling all that sprightly. I hope so anyway. Going to do the second day on Thursday maybe and see how that goes, and if it's still awful I might repeat week 3 again. I can't wait to start enjoying running instead of forcing myself to do it!

Don't worry about it, it can be hard at the start. I finished Week 8 last week and Day 1 of Week 8 was awful. I didn't feel tired, but at the same time I had no energy and my legs felt like lead and that was even before I completed the extra 3 minutes that Week 8 added on. I felt very frustrated as I was used to the time and distance at that point so I should have been able to knock it out of the park without even thinking.

Anyway I just had to grind it out that day and completed it, although even afterwards I felt a bit better physically from having done the exercise, I was still annoyed and frustrated with myself.

Cut to Saturday and I go out again and this time it's a complete 180. I felt much better and completed the workout with no issues. I felt so good after it I couldn't resist going out again on Sunday morning and it was even better. For the last 3 minutes I pushed the pace and wish I'd done so sooner as I was well able to maintain it for longer than I did.

After Sunday's workout, I felt amazing. It was one of those "euphoria workouts" that you have to look forward to. It's the workouts where you start to feel good and I mean really good. As the workout progresses, you feel like you have limitless speed and energy and all you can think and say to yourself is "faster, faster, faster".

It's truly a mesmerising experience and such an addictive feeling.

Just wait till that happens to you. Might take a while, but eventually it will happen.

Well done on getting out to do the run anyway.
    If tomorrow's run isn't great, maybe instead of going back to week 3, repeat week 4 again next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

best of luck Shoegal, I'm at the same stage as you on C25K - I just did W4D1 on Monday. I found it fairly tough too. Planning to get W4D2 done tonight.

...So here I am, slinking back onto boards with my tail between my legs and a guilty expression on my face. I have been a bad, bad girl. No running since the last time I wrote. It's been a mad busy time between one thing and another (yeah, excuses excuses...) and I just didn't have the time to run - or post here about my lack of running. Or didn't make the time, more like.

I really want to get to the stage where running is a routine part of my life and as much a part of it as, let's say, sleeping, putting on makeup, or watching The Apprentice (I prefer mine with Sugar, by the way!) But at the moment it's something I have to force myself to do, and I don't build time into my day to do it.

I haven't been totally idle though - during the last while I've been doing a lot of walking and have no problems making time for that every day, because when I've got a lot on my mind I find that walking really allows me to think about things and relaxes me in a way that running doesn't. It's probably because I'm still getting used to running and have to concentrate on it, rather than it being relatively effortless and leaving my mind free to think about other things. Plus, the music I'm listening to on the C25k programme kinda intrudes upon my thought processes - I can't make up my mind whether it's woefully awful or in a strange way, fabulous!

Well, enough slabbering. I'm going again for week 4, hoping to get out Monday, Weds and Friday. It struck me during my walk today that I'm going the same way as last year, putting things off, thinking 'there's loads of time' and then suddenly finding myself completely unprepared. So please everyone, cross your fingers that this week I stick to my plan!!!

It's truly a mesmerising experience and such an addictive feeling.

Just wait till that happens to you. Might take a while, but eventually it will happen.

Thanks GM for that! I've actually been following your progress on the C25k thread and it's good stuff. Really like this about Boards, that I can take advice and inspiration from people who are at or who have once been at the same stage as me and who have cheering tales to offer. I really hope I feel that addictive feeling soon.... You've cheered me up! :)

RayCun wrote: »
    Well done on getting out to do the run anyway.
    If tomorrow's run isn't great, maybe instead of going back to week 3, repeat week 4 again next week.

Thanks Ray. As you can see, up til now I didn't exactly take your advice... :o BUT - you will be glad to know - I have taken on board your words of wisdom now, as my friend who's doing the Connemarathon half with me is just about to start week 3 of her C25k training next week and wanted me to join her. I was tempted to, but then I thought, maybe I'll stick to week 4 as you suggested and do an extra week of it so that in a couple of week's time we'll be on the same level. So as I am struggling my way through week 4 next week I will be thanking (or cursing) you!! :p Thanks for the advice!

kagni wrote: »
    best of luck Shoegal, I'm at the same stage as you on C25K - I just did W4D1 on Monday. I found it fairly tough too. Planning to get W4D2 done tonight.

Hi Kagni! So delighted to find someone on the same level as me! Fair play to you for continuing on with W4 after the tough start - you've obviously got more determination than me. Good luck with your C25k - I'll be looking to you for motivation from now on!!

Totally forgot to say, I've signed up for the Jingle Bells 5k on 4th December. I'm looking forward to it (more to having a few drinks with my Dublin friends afterwards if I'm totally honest) but also a bit scared because now I really have to get going - don't want to be the last person over the finish line! Motivation!!

Gosh I'm so bad at updating this. There's really not much to say though. Since the last time I've only made a few half-hearted attempts to keep on with week 4, as my ankle got pretty sore each time. I didn’t know whether to run on or stop, so I took the easy option and quit. I gave my ankle a wee break for a while and tried again yesterday, and I’m glad to say it was grand. It did hurt a little, but I stopped a couple of times to flex it and wiggle it about a bit, and after that it was fine. And I actually – shock horror - quite enjoyed being out running again.

I don’t really know if there’s anything I could do to improve my dodgy ankles. I’m hypermobile so I do have a tendency to go over on them anyway, which doesn’t help. Maybe I should stretch before running? I stretch afterwards but maybe I should take five minutes beforehand as well.

Anyway I’m intending to do another week 4 run again tomorrow, so I’ll try stretching first and see if it makes a difference. I wouldn’t go as far as to say I’m looking forward to the run, but I’m certainly feeling a lot more positive about it after yesterday’s session!

Just back in there from another W4 session. I did some stretches beforehand and my ankle was a lot better, so I was really glad about that. Only a few wee twinges, nothing like as bad as previous. However I'd drank a big glass of cold water just before I went out and I don't think I should've, I got a bit of a stitch, so I'll learn my lesson for next time.

I think that next week I'll move on to W5D1, cos I've been doing week 4 for all eternity it feels like and I think I'm ready to move on. Also one of the songs on the W4 podcast is so annoying it makes me want to poke out my eardrums every time it comes on. So on to week 5 it is.

So today I did 2.2 miles/3.5 km in 31 minutes. I think I'm improving :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done shoegal, keep up the good work. Good luck with W5

So I did W5 D1 today. I meant to do it yesterday, but the day just got away from me and by the time I thought of running it was dark and scary outside and I didn't fancy heading out. I didn't much fancy heading outside this afternoon either in the lashing rain, but I thought I'd better. Part of my motivation was that my friend who I'm training with did her W5D1 yesterday and I didn't want to get left behind. So I texted her and told her I was going out, and then there was no going back!

So W5D1 was 3 x 5mins jogs with I think 3 minutes walking in between each (can't remember exactly). Just after the first 5 minute run the pretty persistent rain turned into a real Co. Tyrone special - raindrops the size of your fist combined with a howling gale (or so it felt like to me) and I began to question my sanity in staying out, thinking that in 10 seconds' time I could be back in the warm kitchen making a nice hot coffee, if I chose. But then I thought, I'm already wet, may as well keep on with it.

It wasn't too bad. During the first run I was moaning in my head like a whiney child, going 'Oooooh God, I haaaaate this, what am I dooooing, when is it ooooover???' until I was fed up listening to myself. But then when I actually thought about what exactly I was finding so hard, I realised it was just boredom. I was feeling fine; running no bother, breathing fine, no aches and pains - apart from my left ankle giving me a bit of an occasional twinge just to assert that the right one shouldn't be the one getting all the attention - so there was no physical reason for not enjoying the run. Just a bit of boredom from listening to music I don't enjoy and running up and down the same lane all the time.

Acknowledging that I was bored, and would really rather be elsewhere, made me think back to when I was in school and how sporty I was then. I ran cross-country for my school and was captain of the track athletics team, as well as being a member of the horse riding, camogie and netball teams. I really enjoyed being active back then - somewhere along the way I got lazy and out of the habit. Just thinking about the buzz I used to get back then inspired me to think differently about the exercise I was doing now, and I really wanted to feel that joy in moving my body again. Remembering that, I actually enjoyed the last two 5 minute runs, and didn’t find them long at all. I was competing against myself, trying to better my distance from my last run, and it really added some fun to the experience.

Anyway this post is a lot longer than I meant it to be. Long story short: I did 2.3 miles/3.7 km in 30 mins, and I really enjoyed it. The best part was coming in soaking wet, jumping into a long hot shower and then having an even hotter cup of coffee, feeling delighted with myself for getting out there. Happy days :)

I’m planning on doing W5D2 tomorrow. An 8 minute run, gasp! I kind of have to though, as I really need to get W5 completed this week if I’m to be on target for the Jingle Bells 5k. That means I need to get W5D3 done on Friday because I’m going to Down Royal on Saturday so the weekend will be a write-off. I hope I can do it! I’ll have a go anyway!

I'm disappointed this evening. I went to do my W5D2 today, even though I was definitely feeling in my legs that I'd run yesterday. Surprising as I don't usually feel any adverse effects the next day, but it didn't seem like a big deal.

So I went into the local forest park for a change of scenery, and as I had to drive there it meant that I didn't really stretch properly beforehand. Also, as it had been a last minute decision to go to the forest, I hadn't left much time between eating lunch and going out. But I thought it would be okay.

However, almost as soon as I started the running bit I found it unbearably hard. My legs were protesting like mad and I felt a bit sick. Then, to top it all off, I felt a little 'ping!' and my bra snapped open! The gods of running just didn't want me to do that run!! Sorry if that's TMI but there was no way I was running on after that, so I just walked the rest of the way round the path and then headed home. 2.7km walk in 30 minutes.

I don't know what to do about the rest of week 5. I'll try W5D2 tomorrow, but if my legs were achy after the first day I'm sure they'll be worse after D2, and D3 is the 20 minute run so doing that on Friday might be too hard for me. However, if I don't do it Friday, I'll have to do it Saturday... And I have to be in Belfast for 10am, which means starting to get ready at around 7am... so that means getting up about 6.30 to do the run. Hmm... I have a feeling I'll be a bit too lazy for that!

Well anyway, a disappointing day. I'll try again tomorrow and just play it by ear after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Don't worry about today. There'll be days like that. Sometimes it just doesn't work out for no particular reason and you'll be right as rain again the next day.
    Connemara is a great race for your first HM!

Thanks Littlebug. Connemara and the half marathon seem a long, long way off in the distance at the moment!!! Reading your post encouraged me to get out again today and I finally got W5D2 done, and it was grand. It consisted of:

5 mins warm up
    8 mins run
    5 mins walk
    8 mins run
    Couple minutes cool down.

It was so different to yesterday and I was surprised how quickly the 8 min runs went by. Maybe because I wasn't looking at my watch. I did feel a kind of tight pain running up from my ankles to mid-calves on the inside of both legs all the way through, but not enough to make me want to stop. They're still a bit sore now so I'm guessing tomorrow will have to be a rest day!

I did 3.5k in 30 minutes - this I don't understand because on W5D1 I did 3.7k in the same time and I was running more today! Maybe my Garmin isn't working properly and I'm kidding myself with the distances it's recording. I hope not or I'll get a real shock at this 5k race coming up!

Overall though, I'm glad I got it done. Bring on the 20 minute run next!!! :eek:

Woohoo! W5D3 done! I still can't believe I actually did it cos I really thought I wouldn't be able to!

Now I know all you experienced marathon runners may think this is small fry but for me it was like climbing mount Everest:

5 mins warmup
    20 mins - yes, a whole 20 mins! running
    Few minutes cool down

So I did it this afternoon and it was really fine. I felt a bit apprehensive but at the same time thinking 'Bring it on' - I can really feel my competitive side kicking in now - at long last!

At the start of the run I felt like it would last for ages and thought that I might just stop due to sheer boredom. In retrospect 20 minutes running isn't long at all (better get that perception out of my head before Connemara!!!) but in true Drama Queen fashion I had blown it out of all proportion and it felt like I was staring at a life sentence or something. So I thought of turning off the podcast and just listening to some of my favourite music for 20 minutes, but herein lay a problem as my favourite band is Radiohead and I didn't feel they would be really conducive to running - curling up in a ball and weeping at the injustice of life, maybe; but running: no.

So I briefly flirted with the idea of Lady Gaga or something similarly upbeat but then I realised that I quite pathetically really wanted to hear the downward chimes of the podcast announcing that I'd finished the run, so I just stuck to the cr*ppy workout music. I amused myself with trying to guess how many laps I'd make before the 20 minutes was up - I guessed 10; in reality 13. It sounds really lame but the time just flew and I was so delighted at the end.

I feel great now. I know for a fact that if someone had told me a couple of months ago that I'd be able to run for 20 minutes straight I would have laughed in their face. I'm so proud of myself :) I ran/walked 3.7km today in 30 minutes, so the idea of the half marathon still seems so unbelievably daunting... but then again so did the idea of running 20 minutes nonstop a while ago. So I'm just going to relax for the weekend, enjoy the day out tomorrow and get stuck into week 6 on Monday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Well done on completing W5D3!

Are you running laps of a park? If so, this could be where your boredom lies! I've recently started cycling to a bigger park (Phoenix Park) and running there. Not running laps is far more interesting for me!

Well done - I did this almost exactly a year ago, and the 20 minutes non-stop is a big step up from the 10 minutes runs you were doing before. Look at it like this - you'll probably never double your running time in a single week again.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Well done Shoegal! The 20 min run feels like a bit of a milestone alright.
    Best of luck with Wk6, I've just finished it myself.
    The step back in running time on Wk6D1 and Wk6D2 made it a bit easier and I didn't find the 25 min run on D3 so bad. The best part is that the walking breaks are over now. To be honest I prefer the continuous running, the stopping and starting was starting to annoy me.

• Advertisement

Well done on completing W5D3!

Are you running laps of a park? If so, this could be where your boredom lies! I've recently started cycling to a bigger park (Phoenix Park) and running there. Not running laps is far more interesting for me!

Thanks Micilin Muc! I'm still so delighted about it. All day on Saturday my friend and I kept saying to each other 'We're runners now'!! Little amuses the innocent!! :rolleyes:

I'm not running laps of a park, it's even more boring than that. I'm running up and down the lane at home and it's not that long. I know I give out about being bored but the one time I tried running in the nearby forestry park I ended up having to go home (combination of factors) and I was secretly glad to get back on the old familiar lane again. I hate feeling that I could pass people I know from our wee small village - where everyone knows what you're doing before you've even done it - and they'd be like 'Oh God look at yer one there out running, who does she think she is, Linford Christie or something...' etc etc. I know no-one would ever bother thinking that, I'm not the centre of the universe, but I am a bit paranoid!!

Hope you're enjoying your Phoenix Park runs and they're keeping you interested!

Advertisement