Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Connemarathon half training diary

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭shoegal!

RayCun wrote: »
    Well done - I did this almost exactly a year ago, and the 20 minutes non-stop is a big step up from the 10 minutes runs you were doing before. Look at it like this - you'll probably never double your running time in a single week again.

Thanks RayCun! I'm still feeling very pleased with myself for getting it done 'cos I really didn't think I'd be fit for it. I never thought about it like that, doubling running time in a week before! Now I'm even more pleased! (if that's possible :D)

kagni wrote: »
    Well done Shoegal! The 20 min run feels like a bit of a milestone alright.
    Best of luck with Wk6, I've just finished it myself.
    The step back in running time on Wk6D1 and Wk6D2 made it a bit easier and I didn't find the 25 min run on D3 so bad. The best part is that the walking breaks are over now. To be honest I prefer the continuous running, the stopping and starting was starting to annoy me.

Hi Kagni! I've just finished W6D1 and am planning (hoping!) to do D2 tomorrow. I'm still enjoying the walking breaks though - I'm not as fit as you! I'm glad you didn't find D3 that bad because I'm quite dreading it myself so that's good to hear. But sure I won't worry about it for another couple of days anyway and hopefully I won't find it so bad either! :)

Like I mentioned above, I did W6D1 today. It consisted of:

5 mins warmup
    5 mins run
    3 mins walk
    8 mins run
    3 mins walk
    5 mins run
    4 mins cool down

There's not much to report really - it was grand. In fact it seemed to go really quickly. I had a bit of a diversion because my cat Jess took a notion to run up and down beside me, which made me laugh a bit (when I had some breath to spare!) Although he was doing this little routine - which I used to think was cute but now I'm not so sure! - of running ahead a bit and then lying down right in my path and rolling over on his back for a belly scratch. The first time he did it I jumped over him; the second time he jumped up at exactly the same time and we were both lucky to come out of it with no broken bones!! So I think tomorrow when I attempt D2 I'll be making sure he's locked up inside for his own safety...

...(besides, being consistently outrun by a cat is not good for my morale... :()

Did W6D2 today. It was two runs of 10 mins each with 3 mins walking between them. I found it tough enough, lots of little niggling pains in my dodgy ankles. But ah well, it's done. It was 3.9km in 33 minutes.

I'm planning to go for D3 tomorrow: the big scary 25 minute run. Ideally I'd leave it until Friday or Saturday but I'm heading away for the weekend early on Friday and I'm not bringing my runners! So hopefully I'll be on again tomorrow evening to say that it's over and I'm still alive to tell the tale... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Keep up the good work. My own training has hit a few bumps in the road this week and I've allowed myself to get distracted and a few times just not bothered going out for a run.

I didn't realise you were a nordy also. I'm up home in Armagh at the moment, but should be heading back to Dublin on Saturday. And back to training!

• Advertisement

Hi GM, thanks for the encouragement! Yep Tyrone woman born and bred! I worked for a couple of years in Dublin as well but I'm back up home now because my contract finished up. Hope you get back on track with the running, remember that 5k coming up!!! :)

I'm sitting here looking out at the lashing rain and trees thrashing about like mad in the gale force wind - I really don't want to go out for a run in that! Nooooooooo!!!! :(

Yaaayyyy!!! W6D3, in lashing rain and gale force winds: DONE. Take that, severe weather warning!!!

I hated every minute, at times it was a struggle to stay upright in the wind and I was barely moving, but it's done, thank God, and now I can enjoy my weekend away. Apart from the weather, the run itself wasn't too bad at all, although my right calf is pretty sore now. Nothing that a few day's rest won't cure.

So 4.5k in 40 minutes. Now I'm going to tuck myself up in bed with a hot chocolate and a good book, then fall asleep listening to the wind and rain. Heaven! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Shoegal, Well done on C25K...you are almost there..almost at that pt where running is part of your make-up applying/apprentice watching routine so big pat on the back!
    I finished c25k in Aug and have signed up for Connemara Half also! I am running 6-8 miles now on long runs and loving it. I cant believe before May I could not run for 30 secs & this will be you too soon.
    My only advice to you is ignore the postman and others like him who will have particular views on us because of whatever they think...they are probably just jealous..could they run for 20/25 mins??? Unlikely.
    You dont seem to be caught up in the distance and thats great because I only started looking at distance once I had done 30 mins and only then started on the 5K.
    You are well on your way for Connemara...just think how disappointed you will feel in April if you dont make it this time and that may motivate you to get out there when its raining!
    Best of luck:)

Thanks for the lovely post Maria74! So you're doing the half as well? I'll have to try to catch up with you on those 6 - 8 mile runs although that'll be way down the line for me. If you're doing those lengths of runs now you'll be absolutely flying it by the time Connemara comes around!

I am actually starting to get a bit caught up on the distances now though - a downside of having bought the Garmin is that now I keep checking to see how far I've run. I keep thinking how tiny my distances now are compared to the half marathon and then I get discouraged. But I need to take baby steps for now. The big distances will come in time - I hope!

Well I'm back after my birthday weekend away and back into the oul' running. I got back Monday night and planned to go out yesterday, but my poor legs were absolutely in bits after a hectic few evenings trotting over Edinburgh's treacherous cobblestones in high heels so it was a non-starter. Ah well, I enjoyed myself which was the main thing and as they say, it's my birthday and I'll cripple myself if I want to! :pac:

So my legs had kinda forgiven me by today and I went out for W7D1. I couldn't be bothered with the podcasts so I just walked briskly for five minutes to warm up and then started running. I worked out what song I’d need to get to in the playlist to get to 25 minutes running but my lack of maths skills let me down again and I ended up running for almost 30 minutes. It was fine but I have this niggling pain from the inside of my right ankle all the way up the inside of my calf and at times it was really sore during the run. I don’t know how that happened. I hope it’s okay by tomorrow.

I was quite disappointed to see that when I stopped running I’d only done 3.86km in 29 minutes. I feel so slow! Even if I’d kept running for the round 30 minutes and done over 4k I would feel better. I am definitely going to be the last at this 5k run next month. Oh the humiliation!!

Anyhow let's not think about that. The plan is to do another run tomorrow if the leg allows it, and then another on Saturday. I'm scrapping the podcasts and will just run for 30 minutes this week I think. The major aim now is to actually cover the damn 5k and see how long it takes me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yea,

Well done shoegal, your doing brilliant.

There actually appears to be several people from here doing that half [I am too!] we can meet up for training runs at the weekend, and down there afterwards for a congratulations drink or two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

You're going great guns Shoegal!
    I'm only a couple of days ahead of you in the program and also dropped the podcast this week (Wk7). I'm just listening to my own music and am concentrating on just completing 5K and forgetting about the time for the moment.

You are doing great.
    Easy to say I know but I bet you wont be last. I ran 5K and took 37 mins. In runs before that I had done 34/35 mins so was dissapointed. But I realised afterwards that it really didnt matter...there were walkers behind me and people coming in up to 46 mins.

I was really preoccupied with this also before my 5K. I spent at least 10 mins beforehand checking I was right at the back and then checking if there were any walkers in the race. Everyody was scrutinised to see if they were walkers!!:D My relief when I saw a few was not helped when I realised after a few mins that they ambulance were sitting right behind me...cue a nasty look at them..they soon drove away!!

Everybody was so nice though and I met at least 4 girls who were all at the back with me and we had all done C25K!! And it was our first race. Once you cross over that line nobody notices or cares if you were last, third, one hundreth etc..not even you!

SO just take pride in the fact that you have come so far...thats what Ia doing! :)

Yea,

Well done shoegal, your doing brilliant.

There actually appears to be several people from here doing that half [I am too!] we can meet up for training runs at the weekend, and down there afterwards for a congratulations drink or two :)

Thanks Vaggabond, it's always nice to hear from other people doing the Conn half, there seems to be a good few of us about alright! I'm up in Tyrone now so the training runs might be hard to get to but I am 100% up for the drinks afterwards! I think we'll deserve them! :)

kagni wrote: »
    You're going great guns Shoegal!
    I'm only a couple of days ahead of you in the program and also dropped the podcast this week (Wk7). I'm just listening to my own music and am concentrating on just completing 5K and forgetting about the time for the moment.

Thanks Kagni, I'm still trailing along behind you as you see! The podcasts weren't that great and really there's no need for them now that we're not doing the walk/run anymore. It does go faster when you've got your own tunes to listen to!

I'm trying to get the 5k done also but I'm caught up on time because I'm entered in the Jingle Bells in a couple of weeks and I'm freaking out about coming last. In a way it's a pain cos the pressure to run it in a decent time is taking away from the sense of the achievement that I can run now for longer than I ever have in my adult life. But then again, if I wasn't entered for it I probably would've slacked off on the training long before now. I'm just never satisfied! :rolleyes:

maria74 wrote: »
    You are doing great.
    Easy to say I know but I bet you wont be last. I ran 5K and took 37 mins. In runs before that I had done 34/35 mins so was dissapointed. But I realised afterwards that it really didnt matter...there were walkers behind me and people coming in up to 46 mins.

I was really preoccupied with this also before my 5K. I spent at least 10 mins beforehand checking I was right at the back and then checking if there were any walkers in the race. Everyody was scrutinised to see if they were walkers!!:D My relief when I saw a few was not helped when I realised after a few mins that they ambulance were sitting right behind me...cue a nasty look at them..they soon drove away!!

Everybody was so nice though and I met at least 4 girls who were all at the back with me and we had all done C25K!! And it was our first race. Once you cross over that line nobody notices or cares if you were last, third, one hundreth etc..not even you!

SO just take pride in the fact that you have come so far...thats what Ia doing! :)

LOL at you Maria and the ambulance! :D You've made me feel a lot better about the 5k so thank you! I know, I should focus on how much better at running I am now compared to last year and not on whether I'm the last person to straggle over the line at a race. I'm looking forward to the craic and the atmosphere as well. Doing the run and supporting the charity is the main thing at the end of the day so bring it on! :)

Disappointed today :(

I went down to a nearby sports arena with a floodlit running track today to see what it would be like to run in the 'real world' with other people around. It wasn't a good experience. I've had a sore throat and a bit of a sore chest and achey limbs for the past couple of days but I thought a wee run wouldn't hurt. But it was really horrible.

The track was quite hilly and almost as soon as I started I felt my right leg and ankle begin to complain in a big way. I'd felt a bit self conscious about stretching in front of all the people out playing soccer and tennis etc so I didn't do that much. No wonder my legs weren't impressed with me. Then my chest started hurting when I breathed in. Plus I was really conscious of the other runners zipping past me at the speed of light so I started out running faster than usual and couldn't sustain it. I did 3 laps and had to stop to walk three times for about a minute at a time.

I'm really gutted because I'd been feeling so proud of myself for being able to run 30 minutes nonstop. Now it appears that I can't. Maybe it was because I'm a bit under the weather, or just psychological because it was a new track and out in public, or maybe it was the hills that got the better of me. Anyway I only managed 4.1k in 29 minutes so I'm very glum today.

The plan now is to go back down there again on Saturday; hopefully I'll be feeling grand by then and able to do better. I think from now until the 5k I'm going to do all my running down at that track. I need to get used to running with other people and on different terrain. Onwards and upwards from here hopefully!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

shoegal!, stick at it you'll be fine!

I started couch to 5km in Feb 2010 and was doing 5km runs in 45-50min in February, during the summer I managed 5km in 25min 50sec for the first time and ran a half marathon in Sept in under 2hours.

I';ll be honest I got to week 4 of the plan and stopped doing the run/walk stuff as I found it made things harder....I also got knocked back due to a chest infection, instead I just started running slower and managed 5km non-stop eventually.

Over time I increased my pace.

The first few times you run 30min non-stop won't be lovely and nice and easy but keep at it and things will get better, you doing great to come this far.

Hi Cabaal, thanks for the encouragement! Bloody hell, you started C25k in February and you could run 5k by the end of the month?! Respect! It's taken me God knows how long and I'm still not there yet! Your running progress sounds completely amazing, doing that time in a half marathon so soon after starting running!

I'm glad that you said that about the first few times running 30 mins not being that easy because in my naivete I honestly thought that once I'd cracked it they would. Like I'd do it once and never look back. I'm trying not to bring myself down over this and if I'm feeling physically better tomorrow (doubtful at this point) I'm planning to try again and maybe not walk as much. Thanks for the wee boost :)

If you feel better go do a run and take it really slow. If you dont feel well stay home and look after yourself. I still listen to podcasts after I have had a bad run or 2. Motivates me I listen to chubbyjones podcasts and she does them all way up to 70 mins runs. Might help? Good luck.:)

• Advertisement

Thanks Maria, I may look up those podcasts you're talking about and see how it goes! I didn't run until today because I was still feeling under the weather, but I'm feeling a lot better now.

FINALLY did 5k this evening. I set the timer on the Garmin and tried not to look at it until it went off, but after running for what seemed like ages I was convinced I'd missed the alarm and sneaked a peek... and it was only 3.6k. Grrr. In the end it took me 38:36 to do the 5k, and I wanted to be under 40 minutes so I'm pleased with that. I'm planning maybe to do it again tomorrow, but I managed to get two big blisters under the arches of my feet (how does anyone ever get blisters there, of all places?! :confused:) so we'll have to see how it goes. Pleased with myself for finally doing the distance anyway :)

shoegal! wrote: »
    Thanks Maria, I may look up those podcasts you're talking about and see how it goes! I didn't run until today because I was still feeling under the weather, but I'm feeling a lot better now.

FINALLY did 5k this evening. I set the timer on the Garmin and tried not to look at it until it went off, but after running for what seemed like ages I was convinced I'd missed the alarm and sneaked a peek... and it was only 3.6k. Grrr. In the end it took me 38:36 to do the 5k, and I wanted to be under 40 minutes so I'm pleased with that. I'm planning maybe to do it again tomorrow, but I managed to get two big blisters under the arches of my feet (how does anyone ever get blisters there, of all places?! :confused:) so we'll have to see how it goes. Pleased with myself for finally doing the distance anyway :)

Shoegal, Thats brillant! Well done on getting 5K. Bet you feel great, and thats a great time too:D Jingle bells here you come!!
    Need to get youself some running socks? Once I got t 5/6K my feet started to get blisters etc and thats when the socks came in...before that I thought they were just for marathon runners.

Shoegal, Thats brillant! Well done on getting 5K. Bet you feel great, and thats a great time too:D Jingle bells here you come!!
    Need to get youself some running socks? Once I got t 5/6K my feet started to get blisters etc and thats when the socks came in...before that I thought they were just for marathon runners.

Thanks Maria! Yeah I'm pretty pleased to have done the 5k and not found it too bad. And I've taken your advice and bought some running socks but haven't had a chance to try them out yet cos of the snow :(

Gloom gloom gloom :(

In case you haven't guessed, I'm feeling a bit down at the mo. My plan for this week was to run four times, 5k each time, and the same next week, to build up some confidence for the Jingle Bells AKA my First Ever Race since school. But that hasn't happened.

I ran on Monday and then I wanted to give my blisters a bit of a chance to get better so I didn't run Tuesday or Wednesday. I planned to go to the running track on Thursday for my next run, but on Wednesday night we had snow and getting the car on the road was impossible! I half thought of being brave and trying it - even though I'm a complete wimp about driving in snow - but I took a walk up the hill and met not one but two of my neighbours frantically shovelling grit in an attempt to get their cars going again. So back home I went and tried to run on the lane, but I kept slipping on the ice so stopped early for fear of broken bones.

Since then we've just had pretty much non-stop snow so there's been no more running for me, on the track or otherwise. The curse of living in the Sperrins! I'm so annoyed about it, and also because if the weather man is to be believed there's no way I'll get down to Dublin for the Jingle Bells next week. Which is fairly annoying. If I miss the race that's bad enough, but at least the entry fee goes to charity so that's something good out of it. However I've planned a night out in town afterwards and I'll be gutted if I miss that!!! :p

Anyway, pity party over. I suppose I have to hope for the best. I'm just crossing my fingers that the snow this year isn't as bad as last, because then there'll be no running for me until the end of January!!! That would be a disaster...

Jeez, I can't believe I'm actually fretting about not being able to get out and exercise! How things change! :)

Well, I just wanted to write and say what I’ve been doing since I last wrote. It hasn’t been running, anyway. The snow here is too deep and no matter what I’ve tried, it’s just not working. I can’t get the car out so there was no going to the track for me, and apart from that I usually run up and down our lane but it’s way too slippy from repeated footprints all over.

So, seeing as I’m a farmer’s daughter (insert broad culchie drawl here) I decided to try running in the fields. That didn’t work because the snow was nearly up to my knees so it was just horrible; slow and dragging. In a last ditch effort I attempted the fields again in my dad’s welly boots but that was quite ridiculous, like something you’d see in a comedy. I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry, it was funny yet agonising! Oh my poor calves! So I have come to the conclusion that running outside is not viable for me at the moment. Bring on the thaw!

I’m really worried that I’ll lose any little vestige of fitness that I’ve built up so I’ve resorted to exercise DVDs to keep active. The one I’m doing at the moment is one my mum bought me about a year ago (thanks mum, I get the hint!!) which is the Mel B Totally Fit one. It’s really good – I have aches in places I didn’t even know I had muscles! You can choose your own program so the one I’m doing lasts just over an hour and I find it quite tough but really enjoyable. I do it nearly every day, plus about an hour of yoga most days as well, but that’s more for relaxation really rather than exercise.

I know it’s not the same as running but because, despite my best efforts, I really can’t run now, I think it’s better than nothing. Plus, about four times a week I do a four mile walk into our nearest village for supplies so that keeps me fit as well. Lot of hills on that walk – which is why we can’t get the damn car out!! – I think that’s good enough practise for Connemara!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

You'd get full marks for effort! The worst thing that could happen in this weather - apart from getting injured - is losing your interest in keeping fit, and that doesn't seem likely going on your last post! You might lose a bit of fitness, but it's not the end of the world!

I know how you feel, I tried running once in the snow but hurt my ankle. It is very frustrating and I have resorted to the xtrainer in gym. Like you I am not sure if I am doing anything to keep up my fitnessbut it is better than sitting at home?
    I considered my DVD's also but went to gym when I can instead.
    I think Micilin is right, at least we havent lost all interest, and hopefully then once the thaw comes we will be likely to get back out there:)
    My other concern is that this weather will continue to appear throughout the winter and therefore we will have to have a back-up plan for these times (Davina DVD are the best I have come across...)

By way love the thought of you trying to run in the field with the wellies...:D

You'd get full marks for effort! The worst thing that could happen in this weather - apart from getting injured - is losing your interest in keeping fit, and that doesn't seem likely going on your last post! You might lose a bit of fitness, but it's not the end of the world!

Micilin you're so right! I'm actually amazed that I'm so concerned about losing interest in running - if you'd told me this time last year that this would happen I'd have laughed at you. What a difference a year makes! During this cold snap I've felt myself craving running like I used to crave chocolate... and let me tell you that is some craving!! I just feel like I'm cheating myself somehow now when I don't get outside. I'm determined to do the Connemarathon half next year so maybe that's what's behind it!

I know how you feel, I tried running once in the snow but hurt my ankle. It is very frustrating and I have resorted to the xtrainer in gym. Like you I am not sure if I am doing anything to keep up my fitnessbut it is better than sitting at home?
    I considered my DVD's also but went to gym when I can instead.
    I think Micilin is right, at least we havent lost all interest, and hopefully then once the thaw comes we will be likely to get back out theresmile.gif
    My other concern is that this weather will continue to appear throughout the winter and therefore we will have to have a back-up plan for these times (Davina DVD are the best I have come across...)

By way love the thought of you trying to run in the field with the wellies...:D

Ooooh Maria I see you're a Davina girl... Me and my friend are having ongoing wars about whose DVD is best! Ouch, you're on the other side!! I'm a Mel B gal through and through!!

I totally agree with you about the winter lasting so long and so we have to have these other options to back up our training. Hopefully it won't be too long til we can actually get out there and run again. Your fitness base is a hell of a lot better than mine though so you're definitely on track for the Connemara half. It still seems like a far-off dream to me! frown.gif

PS Glad my wellies adventures amused you - I definitely think it amused a few of my neighbours as well!! :D

• Advertisement

So seeing as there's been a bit of a thaw yesterday and today I actually managed to get out for a wee run. It was so great to be able to get out again! Even though there's still a lot of snow lying I felt like lying down and kissing what bits of bare ground I could see! Cabin fever is over for now!!

I'd like to say the run was great but it wasn't. I did all my usual warm-up stretches etc and it was fine; I'd made a kick-ass playlist on my ipod and the first while was great, but after about 13 minutes my right ankle began to kick up an almighty fuss. It was just that horrible dull ache from my ankle up the back of my leg again. I don't know what it is but it's horrible. So I began to make bargains with myself... 'Just get 2km then quit'... 'Just do 20 minutes then you can stop'... 'Just stay out til 3k...' 'Just last 30 minutes'... etc etc.

This carrot and donkey method must work for me because eventually, despite the fact that my right ankle really wanted to go home and sleep (and perhaps retire forever from any sporting activity), I decided to stay out and do the 5k. Unfortunately, at 4.5k I thought I saw something moving in the shadows in the hedge, got totally freaked out and ran back to the house shaking like a leaf. :rolleyes: Yes, I am a total child. But I'm alone in the house this evening and I was scared!! And I must point out that it was 6pm when I was running and I live out in the depths of the countryside so it was very dark! Pity me!!! :p

So 4.5k in 35.40. I've definitely lost fitness since my last run. Damn. But the short-term pressure is off now cos I'm not going to do the Jingle Bells 5k. It's been postponed until 18th Dec, but one of my brothers is doing aid work in Uganda for a year and he’s coming home for Christmas on that day so I've got to pick him up at Belfast Intl at 11am. And he's been gone since July, I miss him so much and can't wait to see him. I really don’t mind missing the race because of that.

Which means, now I’m not worrying about 5k races, I’ve got to work on my half-marathon strategy from now on. That means business. Gulp :eek:

Advertisement