Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

howth or malahide

Options
  • 28-09-2010 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Am looking to rent a house with the gf. i will have guests staying so a 3bed+ detached house. would be looking for a nice community feel, good social scene for late 20s to mid 30s. what are the main differences in the two areas and is there any similar areas worth a look?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mayflyatr

Malahide, much better social scene with alot of options ie. pubs and restaurants. You are a short taxi drive from Tomangos (of you dare), Wright Venue in Airside or Swords village.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I'd say Malahide too on the grounds that it is more "happening" than Howth and closer to everywhere, especially if you are driving (getting in and out of Howth by car can be a pain at times). That said, I do prefer the natural setting of Howth (walks, seaside, seals,...) and the fact that if I lived there I would get fresh fish, évery day!

I think Malahide is more suitable for a younger crowd - more restaurants, late night bars and nightclubs + a fairly decent selection of shops.

Mind you - neither of them are cheap in regards to renting compared to some other North co Dublin locations, but then again, that does have it's reasons.

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

I'd go for Malahide aswell. It has a lovely community feel with good restaurants and pubs. The pubs are usually packed with a mix of all ages with plenty of people in their late 20's to mid 30's. Howth would be a more settled/family place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Another vote for Malahide. I like Howth a lot but I think Malahide would be more what you're looking for with the social scene and it just has more of a younger feel to it I think. Good luck with the move! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

im from malahide so probably bias

howth is good for a visit but id way way prefer to live in malahide

also bear in mind how rubbish dublin bus is and the fact that malahide dart station is now the main dart station and also has direct trains passing through it that dont stop until connolly

means you can get into town in less then 15 mins

id try and stay near the village if i were you and away from estates like seabury as you are kinda losing out on the benefits of the village atmosphere by living out there and things like the beach and malahide castle are literally at your doorstep

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 p1x1e

howth is lovely and scenic but yeah i'd go for malahide- great coastal walk, the castle, lots of sports activities, pubs, restaurants etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

Id go for Portmarnock!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Malahide for all the reasons above

Advertisement