Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game trade value.

Options
  • 28-09-2010 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hey everyone.

Do many of you guys trade games?;
    Either online or in shop?

My question is do you find the trade value for them low? I started working in a game shop and the value gamers get when they bring in games for XBox n the rest is very poor.
    Your comments please people!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Unless it's a game that's relatively new they're fairly low alright.

I know Gamestop have/had an offer whereby if you trade in two new-ish games you could get a new release for €2

It seems like a good offer but I remember I traded in a game that had been out for two weeks and got €35 credit for it.

New games usually retail around the €50-€55 mark so if I traded in two new-ish games I should be looking at getting €60-€70

If Gamestop were any decent they'd give you the game for free and a store credit voucher that makes up the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

traded in Halo:ODST shortly after it was released. paid £30 for it over in England (when i was on holiday) and got €35 in gamestop. i just wanted to get rid of it, but if i was getting rid of games, i'd rather sell them on adverts than trade them in cos of the raw deal you get from the shops. get much more selling them yourself but you don't get the money then and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I remember buying the original Colin McRae Rally for ps1 back in the day, from a small computer parts shop which sold some games as well. I brought it back over a month later and got back the retail price minus 5 pounds. The owner was a decent skin, but not surprisingly he went out a business!

Since then ive been doing trade-ins with the big chains like Gamestop and its almost always a rip off. I just put em up on ebay now, and usually do better.

Out of interest, has anyone traded in Red Dead? I see that Xtravision are still selling that for 40 quid pre-owned. Id like to know what they give people for it in a trade.

With the new FIFA 11 game coming out on Friday I made some enquiries to HMV and Gamestop about trade in values for Mafia 2 and Madden NFL 11.

For Madden NFL 11 in HMV they were offering me €24

For the same game in Gamestop they were offering €16.

Mafia 2 was €30 in Gamestop and in HMV they're offering €36.

Huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

That_Guy wrote: »
    With the new FIFA 11 game coming out on Friday I made some enquiries to HMV and Gamestop about trade in values for Mafia 2 and Madden NFL 11.

For Madden NFL 11 in HMV they were offering me €24

For the same game in Gamestop they were offering €16.

Mafia 2 was €30 in Gamestop and in HMV they're offering €36.

Huge difference.

I traded 3 games in hmv 2 weeks ago, they gave me €38 for them, I asked in gamestop before and they qouted me €20 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Gamestop is an absolute joke for trade in's tbh. They make a crazy amount of money back from people. Is it any wonder why companies are trying to cut down pre-owned game sales.

thorbarry wrote: »
    I traded 3 games in hmv 2 weeks ago, they gave me €38 for them, I asked in gamestop before and they qouted me €20 :eek:

Gamestop are a joke. Went to Gamestop years ago. Traded in a Lord Of The Rings DVD and they gave me €15 credit and when I went back in a week later they were selling it for €25.

Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

i use trade in to the likes of game and gamestop but not anymore, i prefer to put em up on adverts and save someone the money for the same game instore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Greyfox

thorbarry wrote: »

That's because the price of a 2nd hand games is usually a lot cheaper in gamestop then it is in HMV, I really don't know why people buy games in hmv, their very expensive!

Trading in games has always been a massive rip-off wherever you go which is why I never ever trade games in, I'm glad i'm in the minority on this though as it's no thanks to me that theirs such a great selection of second hand games out their these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭will.in.cork

Is there any website that just deals with trade in's.

As in if I went onto the website and traded in a new game I could get maybe two old games?....Anyone ever hear of such a website?

Thanks for the replies.

W.

• Advertisement
Advertisement