Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Twister Vicks Gone ?

• 28-09-2010 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Just wondering is Twister Vicks Gone thought it was reopening a few weeks ago ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Gone from what I hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

My band was supposed to play there Friday 2 weeks ago. With all the uncertainty we rang "Vic" to see what the story was and he wouldn't answer his phone. Par for the course with that place really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Another one bites the dust

Been a long time coming with that place though so not much of a surprise is it?

Shame, i like Vic and its a pity it didnt work out for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I liked it in there,

But it goes back to a point that I made a while ago that the only way you can draw a crowd is to aim for the women. Out of the 12/15 of us who go out it's generally the women in the group (or single guys looking for women) who push for harveys and off we go, places like this don't get a look in cause you can't "dance".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Its a fact of life these days that young men will always follow women when they are out drinking which is why places that attract just men will kinda be on the back foot straight away. I know that women used to go in there but it was a very masculine place to me which is why any of the girls I know did'nt really go in there. So I never went in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Jesus John street must be a ****ing ghost town these days. I wonder how long it will take for the City to get back on it's feet. Never seen as much closures in such a small area over such a short time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Where's that chap that wanted a rock bar because he didn't like pop music? Think I remember him saying that an alternative venue like that would definitely do well in this town...

same as people who reckon a pub aimed at 30+ age group will do well

unfortunately it just doesnt happen in this town

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Aruba08

its gone?? really?? damn shame!! Was in there a good few times. There will be nothing left in waterford eventually:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Late bar and the cost of that plus band costs and no cover charge could never be sustained in the long run unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Asmodean wrote: »
    Jesus John street must be a ****ing ghost town these days. I wonder how long it will take for the City to get back on it's feet. Never seen as much closures in such a small area over such a short time :(

That was my thought last night, the turnover down the years is quite something. Its got the stench of decay about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Has he not open or is reopening in Tramore ??????

just something I heard doing the rounds

I was walking up John St. today and it was actually depressing. With Ruby's, Muldoon's, Twister Vic's, Riordan's shop, Sinnots/Bling(?), Ten and the betting shop beside Ten all closed up and with For Sale/Lease signs on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I remember when tgat betting shop was strand video :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

The saddest thing of all is that Johns St. could potentially be one of the nicest spots in the entire city if it was utilised properly.
    strand video

I always remember how long that shop seemed to be! Fond memories of heading down there every Saturday and renting my SNES games for the weekend. Sorry for the OT post.

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Has he not open or is reopening in Tramore ??????

just something I heard doing the rounds

there was talk of him going to Portlaw and a guy from Portlaw coming into town, but it doesnt seem to be on the cards anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Asmodean wrote: »

Its divine retribution for trying to call a street a 'Village'.
    kryogen wrote: »
    same as people who reckon a pub aimed at 30+ age group will do well

unfortunately it just doesnt happen in this town
    Kryogen, there are plenty of pubs that target the over 30s and are successful. Just look at all the local pubs, and places like the Mansion House or McLoughlins.

Personally I think the central pub area kept migrating towards the Infirmary, and will naturally move back toward the centre of town again. I expect places like what was the Old Stand or Temple Bar will eventually reopen.

EDIT: will find out more about this one before I comment again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I believe the mansion house is also closing down or is already closed down.

What? Nooooooooooooo :(

• Advertisement

I hope I'm wrong about that one cause I always liked that place. Someone said it to me as if it was common knowledge. Haven't been around town lately so wasn't sure whether it happened or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yeah I have that from someone who'd have been a Mansion regular for years. The reason he hasn't been able to confirm it to me is because he hasn't been drinking there recently which kind of tells the whole story!

dayshah wrote: »

Kryogen, there are plenty of pubs that target the over 30s and are successful. Just look at all the local pubs, and places like the Mansion House or McLoughlins.

maybe i should have specifically said late bars/clubs?

thought it would be understood. apologies

kryogen wrote: »
    maybe i should have specifically said late bars/clubs?

thought it would be understood. apologies

You are probably right. I can't imagine a place like that being successful. Maybe an existing older persons pub could try it out, experimenting with a extensions on popular weekends (eg Spraoi, Christmas, bank holidays), but I can't see it working on a permanent basis.

Old fogies like me like to be in bed by 11 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Its divine retribution for trying to call a street a 'Village'.

Personally I think the central pub area kept migrating towards the Infirmary, and will naturally move back toward the centre of town again. I expect places like what was the Old Stand or Temple Bar will eventually reopen.

I heard that the Mansion House is closing aswell.

Thats bad. In my view no pub with a trap door should close. I suppose they just over extended the place.

In my opinion pub prices are too high, but I don't think supermarkets should be allowed sell for that cheap either. Encouraging home drinking will lead to more problems with alcoholism.

Thats bad. In my view no pub with a trap door should close. I suppose they just over extended the place.

In my opinion pub prices are too high, but I don't think supermarkets should be allowed sell for that cheap either. Encouraging home drinking will lead to more problems with alcoholism.

Wacky Apple has a trapdoor, don't think it would be a great loss if it closed. :pac:

Adyx wrote: »
    Wacky Apple has a trapdoor, don't think it would be a great loss if it closed. :pac:

I agree. It should be closed, the accounts fully audited, and reopened as tne New Rogue.
    www.revenue.ie/en/press/defaulters/archive/q404-2.pdf

How about a márla (is that how you spell it) themed pub with a trap door (though only those aged 25-35 have a clue what I'm talking about :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I agree. It should be closed, the accounts fully audited, and reopened as tne New Rogue.
    www.revenue.ie/en/press/defaulters/archive/q404-2.pdf

How about a márla (is that how you spell it) themed pub with a trap door (though only those aged 25-35 have a clue what I'm talking about :)

I'm 25-35 and have no idea what you're talking about! Also, is there something interesting in that pdf?

• Advertisement

And WTF is the obsession with a trapdoor. As a child i was always told not to open that trap door, that I'd be a fool if I dared.

Advertisement