Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-Op for Games Students

Options
  • 28-09-2010 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Does anyone know how likely it's going to be for a games student to get Co-op? We had a talk from the Co-op office last year and they said hardly any of last year's third years were going on Co-op....

They put it down to bad prep on the side of the students but I'd imagine there aren't that many games companies in Ireland that can afford to take on and pay interns for 9 months every year.

I'm just wondering if I should try and sort it out myself, let them do it or resign myself to the possibility that I'll be spending co-op time broke and still in UL.....

Any info or thoughts from anyone would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

hi it is most likely that the co-op office should be able to place a few of the games students . but i would advise trying to organize your own co-op and when you are doing this remember the large range of skills you have not just the games development part . ie;the programing part of your course

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

From my friends doing the course, you get internships in general IT companies from Intel to Bank of Ireland. This is because the course so similar to Computer Systems and there are actually a good set of IT companies in Ireland/companies that have an IT department.
    If you want it to be in a games-related company, you'll have to organise it yourself. There's no harm in looking yourself in places they won't while they do the regular companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JellyBeana

Cool, cheers lads. If they're going to send our cvs to the same companies as comp sys then that's fine, at least I'm likely to have something and by then our skill set is mostly the same with the exception of graphics and linux development.

Advertisement