Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Cycle Based Inventions

• 28-09-2010 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭

While browsing some sites in the last few days and stumbled across this thought provoking little item. All of these things that we take for granted now, like Sti,wasn't it so enraging when the gears would slip, especially going up a lung bursting climb!! and power links, Carbon fibre!! Thank you Nasa Lol. Hurray for engineering progress.;)

http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/blog/cycling/top-10-modern-cycling-inventions/

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

To me, nothing beats the wheel - it must be the best cycling related invention ... ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The spoked wheel is a great refinement. Such an incredibly elegant, strong and light design. Ok, not as aerodynamic as some other types of wheel, but remarkable invention nonetheless. And it's been around quite a while.

Still, this list is for modern inventions, so I should think of something not from the 19th century.

The LED light? I think I could still live with mostly 70s technology as a utility cyclist. But LED lights are streets ahead of what was available before in terms of low power-draw and reliability, and they're incredibly bright now too. No need for carrying spare bulbs anymore either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Beasty wrote: »
    To me, nothing beats the wheel - it must be the best cycling related invention ... ever!
    Agree but in conjunction with Mr Dunlops pneumatic tire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Not strictly related to cycling, but I'm a big fan of sat nav.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'd also throw in for your consideration:-

- Scotchlite and Scotchbrite (esp at this time of year)
    - Chamois cream
    - Gel inserts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Rear derailleur?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

They are all great but, in all fairness, the modern helmet must be the best. How many of ye would have got a potentially damaging bang on the head without one??

They are all great but, in all fairness, the modern helmet must be the best. How many of ye would have got a potentially damaging bang on the head without one??

.........and we're off:)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not without wheels, you wouldn't...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Jawgap wrote: »
    .........and we're off:)

And it's only Wednesday :)

I'd agree about the wheel, and I'd offer ball bearings as another one for the list. True, they've been around for a long time but the first patents were for use on bicycles, so I suppose you might say they were perfected for the bicycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Taking a broad interpretation of 'cycle based inventions', how about something like these?

Bicimáquinas at Maya Pedal, Guatemala.

They're inventions based on bicycle principles (and parts), but used for fundamentally different purposes... (As Beasty says, without wheels, the helmet point is moot, but without food and water the wheels point is moot too! :))

(I met this guy over the summer who told me about the project- he volunteered there for a while.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

2nd best invention?.. BRAKES! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

TBH in all the years i've been cycling, I've never actually hit my head. I've damaged by Shoulder, Elbows, Hips, Knees, Hands/fingers, but my helmet is still intact.

I hope this post doesn't Jinx me for my cycle home! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

What did the Romans ever do for us..?

er... Roads!

Jabel wrote: »
    What did the Romans ever do for us..?

er... Roads!

Helmets:-

AW5503MiniClose-roman-helmet.jpg

Or if you like......