Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super League Grand Final

• 28-09-2010 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

I really can't wait for this match. Has everything needed to be a cracker in particular that local rivalry and passion that is at the centre of this, the greatest game on earth.

So what is everyones predictions? Let's have your..
    (a) Winning team
    (b) Winning Margin
    (c) Harry Sunderland winner.

here's mine...

(a) My prediction is for Wigan to win. I think they will be too strong for the Saints and after the last 3 years i think Saints have lost the ability to win on the biggest stage.

(b) I reckon it'll be just over the 2 converted try margin, so by 13.

(c)Tomkins to get the MOTM although Pat Richards will be there or there abouts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm guessing you're hoping for both teams to lose somehow? :pac:

Saints to win by less than a converted try. Just have a feeling Wigan will choke somewhat. MOTM is such a hard one to guess, because it massively matters which team plays the best and also what way they go about their game. I'll probably plump for Sam Tomkins meself, but it could easily end up being Richards, Cunningham or that big Wigan forward who's put in ridiculous amounts of work the last two weeks whose name I can't remember. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

amacachi wrote: »

Saints to win by less than a converted try. Just have a feeling Wigan will choke somewhat. MOTM is such a hard one to guess, because it massively matters which team plays the best and also what way they go about their game. I'll probably plump for Sam Tomkins meself, but it could easily end up being Richards, Cunningham or that big Wigan forward who's put in ridiculous amounts of work the last two weeks whose name I can't remember. :pac:

If only both teams could lose! But I suppose it's not their fault they're from wrong side of the pennines. I would never wish injury on anyone but... if Keiron Cunningham could tweak an eyelash in the warmup... the last things i would want is him to win the motm.

Big wigan Forward = Paleaaesina ??

If only both teams could lose! But I suppose it's not their fault they're from wrong side of the pennines. I would never wish injury on anyone but... if Keiron Cunningham could tweak an eyelash in the warmup... the last things i would want is him to win the motm.

Big wigan Forward = Paleaaesina ??

Ah I dunno, would be fitting for his last match I suppose.

Not Paleaaesina, I said he'd got through a lot of work. :pac: Just wikied it, 99% sure it's Riddell I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Fr Tierney

Just checked and the bookies have Wigan minus 4 for the spread.
    Will put a few euros on that.
    My predictions are easy to pick:
    Winners : Wigan
    Margin: 8
    MOTM: Pat Richards

• Registered Users Posts: 18 XXVII

I really can't wait for this match. Has everything needed to be a cracker in particular that local rivalry and passion that is at the centre of this, the greatest game on earth.

So what is everyones predictions? Let's have your..
    (a) Winning team
    (b) Winning Margin
    (c) Harry Sunderland winner.

here's mine...

(a) My prediction is for Wigan to win. I think they will be too strong for the Saints and after the last 3 years i think Saints have lost the ability to win on the biggest stage.

(b) I reckon it'll be just over the 2 converted try margin, so by 13.

(c)Tomkins to get the MOTM although Pat Richards will be there or there abouts.

Given your previous track record, I'm not going to disagree!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 XXVII

Wigan forward and ridiculous amount of work....probably O'Loughlin.

Having said that, I'd love to see Joel Tompkins getting MOTM. He's been amazing all season, and must be the fastest forward in Super League. Delighted he made the dream team, as his contribution is often overlooked. MOTM would be a great reward.

10 minutes til kick-off. :) Fancy Wigan to do it just about.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

First half was certainly fit to grace a Grand Final. Wigan deservedly ahead - hope the second-half is as good.

Thought Leuluai's near-try was hard to call as to what the punishment should've been, looked a ball steal to me.

Though Wigan just got a penalty for a ball steal I wouldn't agree with and Meli was very lucky there for the high hit on Tomkins, awful stupid thing to do.

Been a long time since I have seen Saints make so many basic errors, take so many poor options and play with such ill-discipline. Can't ever remember a Saints side pressing the self-destruct button like this one.

• Advertisement

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    Been a long time since I have seen Saints make so many basic errors, take so many poor options and play with such ill-discipline. Can't ever remember a Saints side pressing the self-destruct button like this one.

Even in the first half I thought they were nowhere near as lively as usual, second half they seem to have just completely given up.

Very disappointing second-half - a real anti-climax:(
    When Eastmond was ruled out I thought Saints would be up-against-it, but there can be no excuses for such an under-par performance.

Cunnigham, Roby, Wellens and Grahams could not be faulted for effort but Wigan were better in all departments.

Let's hope Wigan are not about to dominate the game again for the next decade:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Well that was disappointing (from a Saints fans perspective). Shockingly poor handling errors and weak defending for the tries. Wigan were on form tonight and deserved their win, but we could have made a better fight of it than that. The gap wasnt impossible at any stage up until the end, and with a bit more discipline it could have been a tighter and better game.

Dunno about Graham, didn't think he was great and the pissing and moaning at the end didn't show him in a great light.

Dunno about Graham, didn't think he was great and the pissing and moaning at the end didn't show him in a great light.

Agree, his petulant, disrespectful behaviour will not win him many admirers and his performance was hardly international standard but his work rate, especially on defence, could not faulted. That was the only point in his favour in an otherwise miserible display.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 YuriZhivago

Guys help!!!!! Which pubs are likely to have the grand final on in Dublin? I'm at your mercy!!!!!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

what an unbelievable game!!!

Rob Burrow and Kevin Sinfield are brilliant!!!

So sad that this is Buderas's last game for Rhinos :(

but what a great game and performance from Rhinos.

Just unreal!!!

Was hoping for a Saints win but Leeds were the better team.

I am delighted for Brian McDermott ( a fine Wakey lad;)). Looked like his tenure was going to be rather short earlier this season but he has turned the team around and they were deserved winners.

With Buderus, Lauititi and few others rumoured to be leaving it will be interesting to see how he rebuilds what is an ageing team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Only got to watch the match highlights now. Fantastic game. with all the pressure that Leeds had to absurd at the start of the second half and then to concede the 2 tries I thought they were out, but great resolve by Leeds and burrows had some game!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I know the play off system is here to stay now, but I personally would prefer to see whoever finished top of the league deemed the Champion, not just a little shield. It takes away all the glory for the endevours from a long, arduous season and boil it down to a knockout competition. Whos best over 3 or 4 games to me doesnt prove who is most deserving of the plaudits. Still, its not a new thing, all teams know what they are playing for at the start of the season and congratulations to Leeds and McDermott.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    I know the play off system is here to stay now, but I personally would prefer to see whoever finished top of the league deemed the Champion, not just a little shield. It takes away all the glory for the endevours from a long, arduous season and boil it down to a knockout competition. Whos best over 3 or 4 games to me doesnt prove who is most deserving of the plaudits. Still, its not a new thing, all teams know what they are playing for at the start of the season and congratulations to Leeds and McDermott.

Agree completely Doofer.

Whilst Leeds won the Grand Final no way were they the best team in SL this season - they were the 5th best team, the table doesn't lie. The League Leaders Shield is scant reward for the Wires great season.

The fact that there is also no relegation :( significantly diminishes the importance (and excitement) of league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I dunno, I kind of like the way the season is structured towards the Grand Final with the league form dictating the route from the playoffs. It works well in the major american sports as well.

As for the game... Wow! after watching the tripe served up in the RU World Cup that morning and then watching this match I don't think anyone could have any doubt as to the best code.

Burrows was magnificent and fully deserved the MotM award. I felt for Saints though. Losing to Leeds 4 times in a GF must be heart breaking and the loss of Wellens and then Shenton's horrific injury was a major blow to them.

Lautiti and Buderus will be missed. I'm hoping Mcshane can make his breakthrough and become first choice hooker, else I'm sure Burrows could do a job there.

I've got to be honest, I though McDermott was not the man for the Rhinos after the Catalan catastrophe and thought sinfield was pretty restrained at the end with his speech when picking up the trophy "And last, but not least, to all those people that wrote this team off, all those people that criticised this team, tonight, this is for you". Thanks Kevin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I think the structure is designed for the TV station, not to truly see who is the best team for that season.

Advertisement