Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bmx cranks for a youngster

• 28-09-2010 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

The 7 year old is hitting his knees off the handlebars on his ancient 14" bike so I popped down to rothar.ie to get him something bigger.
    Dad has a bit of a nostalgia moment and ends up getting juniour a fairly bog standard bmx (apollo mx 20.3, I suspect it is a generic halfords yoke) with pegs and spinny around front brake cables.
    There are a few days wait to collect the new bike so Dad is upselling bmx by showing various Danny McAskill videos.
    Kid collects bike and isn't doing said tricks. Dad has bruised shins from pegs and wondering if this was such a good idea.
    Question, the frame of the bike seems a fine size but the cranks are definitely more appropriate for someone older than 7, can these be reduced (I reckon they are c. 17cm)?
    I had a cursory scan of various websites, but inclusion of bmx in any search seems to assume semi-pro level of expenditure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I'm guessing the cranks you were looking at were expensive cos they were 3-piece cranks?

Rider Inseam Crank Arm Length
    20" 140 mm
    21" 145 mm
    22" 150 mm
    23" 155 mm
    24" 160 mm
    25" 162 mm
    26" 166 mm
    27" 171 mm
    28" 175 mm
    29" 177 mm
    30" 180 mm
    31" 182 mm
    32" 185 mm
    33" 185 mm
    34" + 190 mm

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Would indeed, also can't find any < 17cm.
    Bearing in mind the whole bike cost e80, any ideas where to look for cranks that are a) cheap b) < 17cm, c) fit the axle/bb/crankshaft/bit in the middle.

Probably Rothar again, or see if they have an 18inch bike for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Becareful, Cheap bikes are usually 1 piece cranks. AFAIK they only come in one size. You could get a 3 piece but this would require pressing in BB cups and new bearings etc and possibly a new front cog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

souter wrote: »
    Would indeed, also can't find any < 17cm.
    Bearing in mind the whole bike cost e80, any ideas where to look for cranks that are a) cheap b) < 17cm, c) fit the axle/bb/crankshaft/bit in the middle.

There is a shop in greystones that sells BMX all the kids go there to get their fancy bits, as much as Im told about it, I do not have a clue what the name is.
    Perhaps try G1 skate supplies on connell street?

Id imaging 170 is quite common, the issue is that BMX have Massive BB shells. Otherwise ya be laughing, you could stick a MTB crank on.

• Advertisement

kona wrote: »
    There is a shop in greystones that sells BMX all the kids go there to get their fancy bits, as much as Im told about it, I do not have a clue what the name is.
    Perhaps try G1 skate supplies on connell street?

Id imaging 170 is quite common, the issue is that BMX have Massive BB shells. Otherwise ya be laughing, you could stick a MTB crank on.

www.theeboardroom.ie ???

Advertisement