Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The October Studio.

• 28-09-2010 11:09pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Devloping B+W Film is this October's lesson.

On line questions about simple developing techniques answered, culminating to a one off hands on demo by someone knowledgable at the end of October in my studio in the city centre.

I want to keep this simple so it's not about printing this month but simply: how the hell does it get from a B+W roll to a manageable neg roll?

Brief is: ask questions here, find out what's needed to do it, take some pics. When roll's finished and by end of the month, a group of 4-6 meet in my place and get a hands on demo.

This month's (October) demo is being hosted by fajitas!

So I'll start with my own question,

Will I need to have my own dark bag on the day?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Sounds like you have a good set of plans.

What supplies would one need to bring?

Would there be a suggested donation for space, time and materials needed?

Is it just a demo or a chance to get a bit hands-on and develop a roll?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Hopefully the roll you bring will be developed by you that evening.

It's all free other than the gear you'll need to bring. I don't know myself at mo what that is but when the time comes and from info and chat through this thread we'll all be a bit wiser.

Idea is: let's find out what basics is on line and then get down and do it in an afternoon.

I'm probably in the same position as yourself JD, I haven't a scoobie but am curious and want to know and learn. So I thought sure if I'm going to do it for myself then it's just as easy (and more fun) to open it up to those like me.

Oh and the pooling of resources such as chems and what not would spread the financial burden a bit too.

Keep it cheap and cheerful.

Exactly!
    Though I have done B&W develop and print in my life. It was almost 20 years ago.

Thought that material costs was all you were thinking, but thought I would get the question out of the way early. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

cant find the link now, but you can develop film with your pee pee if you have some rare kidney condition... just like...ya know... if your trying to cut costs...

• Advertisement

cant find the link now, but you can develop film with your pee pee if you have some rare kidney condition... just like...ya know... if your trying to cut costs...

Ah no.

Exactly!
    Though I have done B&W develop and print in my life. It was almost 20 years ago.

Thought that material costs was all you were thinking, but thought I would get the question out of the way early. :D

Not about costs, just about doing. Sure it's cheap as chips anyhows. It'd be fun learning and doing it with a couple of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'd certainly be interested in that. I haven't the foggiest what's involved in developing.

I'd certainly be interested in that. I haven't the foggiest what's involved in developing.

Well here's the place to put your questions for preperation of the big day.

Anyone with any knowledge is more than welcome to answer anyone's queries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Hi, is this open to everyone or is it a specific pre-selected group that has already shown interest? Id love to learn to develop my own rolls of film :)

If it is open to others, I dont have any chems or dark room gear so would I need to buy a set of chems or would I be able to pay someone who is going and has them for the quantity I would need?

Cheers :)

• Advertisement

Hi, is this open to everyone or is it a specific pre-selected group that has already shown interest? Id love to learn to develop my own rolls of film :)

If it is open to others, I dont have any chems or dark room gear so would I need to buy a set of chems or would I be able to pay someone who is going and has them for the quantity I would need?

Cheers :)

It's open to anyone and glad to have you in. I don't have any of the stuff either and nor know what to get so stickin with the thread and keeping up is the first step to developing your own.

I do have a neg scanner though. Which probably works.

humberklog wrote: »
    I do have a neg scanner though. Which probably works.

ha!

Thats great. Thanks, Id love to learn as Ive just really started to try out film photography.
    Ill keep an eye on the thread so :)

A neg scanner sounds handy if developing your own rolls, did it cost you much/is it high res? I love editing on the PC so im quite interested being able to edit digitally.

Thats great. Thanks, Id love to learn as Ive just really started to try out film photography.
    Ill keep an eye on the thread so :)

A neg scanner sounds handy if developing your own rolls, did it cost you much/is it high res? I love editing on the PC so im quite interested being able to edit digitally.

Mine was free and here's a thread I made a while ago about it. I'm still not that much nearer turning it on and making it Go though.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055963927

Mine was free and here's a thread I made a while ago about it. I'm still not that much nearer turning it on and making it Go though.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055963927

Thats pretty cool,I missed that thread somehow. It looks like a pretty nice scanner from what ive read. Id say its a matter of using it a few times and getting used to the different modes and settings...plus the pc/software side of things so you can get the results you want with it.
    Its an interesting tool though and pretty handy if you were to develop your own stuff so you could bypass the entire lab involvement. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Great idea Humberklog, will it be the last weekend in October? or maybe the date isn't set in stone yet..

Great idea Humberklog, will it be the last weekend in October? or maybe the date isn't set in stone yet..

No date set yet but aiming for end of Oct. Sure we'll what interest there is on thread, who's in etc. and then in about 2 weeks we'll all be clearer on what dates and times we have free.

Any updates one this as to the date it will be on? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I would think the necessary equipment would be:

Developing reels (as many as you have rolls of film to develop)
    Developing tank (to hold as many rolls as you want to develop AT ONCE.)
    Dark bag
    Rolls of shot film
    A copy of the "Ultimate Dev Chart" or similar information about what to use for developer times for specific films in specific chemistries.
    Something (or someone with a watch) to use as a timer. (preferably something that can say "ding" or something similar when it's time.. and that you don't need to fumble around with to get going. your hands will already be busy!)

Chemical needs might arise:

Film Developer
    Stop bath (often not used with film.. pretty optional)
    Fixer
    Perma-wash/rinsing agent/fixer remover
    Stabiliser
    Craploads of water (filtered or distilled if you can manage it.. but this could get expensive QUICK)

(If they aren't supplied.)

I'd think 1-2 people could get away with sharing a dark bag. If 2 people each have 1 roll of film, and it's the same type shot at the same ISO, they could share a 2-roll developing tank and the work to get the job done.. but that would make it less hands-on for both.

Have fun!

October's moved up on the sliding scale towards November asx there might be bigger things afoot with the idea (new camera club but hush, hush;)). But that'll be the first on agenda...just the change comes from pm's and chit-chat in real life, so I'll update as it goes.

• Advertisement

Sounds good to me :) cheers for the speedy update, looking forward to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Can't believe I missed this thread, I'm in for whatever the "october studio" is or is evolving into :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Sounds like a deadly idea HK :D I missed this thread till today too.. I haven't had time to read here in ages..

I can give a loan of some equipment if you like - I have a darkbag, tank (double 35mm or single 120), thermometer, jugs (fnar) and measuring syringes/small yokes. I'll also give yis a litre of fix as you can re-use it on the day (good for about 20 goes, so that should be plenty). I wouldn't bother with stop - just use a bottle of cheapass vinegar. R09 Spezial deveolper is cheap as chips - about a fiver a bottle I think in Gunns - would be more than enough, especially if you're diluting 1+30. Can throw in some photoflo as well. You only use a few drops anyway.

Sure let me know dates Neill, and I can drop the stuff in to you.

And I love the idea of a different camera club. Shhh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Poor old HK'd never get the stink of vinegar out of the studio!

That'd be great Sinead, I don't have any of my dev gear at the moment.

Ok so...will we look into mid to late November then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

This sounds like a great idea, I'd love to take part!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Sounds good,would love to check this out.

That's deadly Scamp and Jim. Not gonna set deffo date til next week.

I was thinking that another 2 things I'd like to do aswell are cyanotypes and home made pin hole.

I'll chat with the relevant people (you know who you are) for a date next month that suits them for the bag developing. And thanks a bunch Sinead for the offer which I'll def take you up on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

That's deadly Scamp and Jim. Not gonna set deffo date til next week.

I was thinking that another 2 things I'd like to do aswell are cyanotypes and home made pin hole.

I'll chat with the relevant people (you know who you are) for a date next month that suits them for the bag developing. And thanks a bunch Sinead for the offer which I'll def take you up on.

Would be very interested in this too -and can bring Chems to use for everyone, and a 2 roll tank

• Advertisement
Advertisement