Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Triton showers need to have no power supplied when not in use?

Options
  • 28-09-2010 11:20pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We have a Triton T90xr and, on occasion, we've forgotten to pull the string that supplies power to the unit (I think this is called an isolator switch?). Now the only noticeable difference from the outside is the red light on the shower unit (as the shower unit itself isn't turned on).

Does this matter? If the "isolator switch" is on, does it make make a difference unless the shower unit itself is turned on and pumping/heating water? I don't want to burn out the unit just because I accidentally forgot to pull a string on my way out of the bathroom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

No it does not matter as far as i am aware. However i will move this to electrical and see if an electrician knows....

fyi I have not turned off my isolater since i installed it 5 years ago....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

prob nothing will happen-leaving it on 'standby'

but you should isolate

they should be switched off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Its not going to do any harm leaving it on particularly with RCDs protecting them, however i was always of the opinion to switch off isolator when not in use is best. While isolators are generally beside machines to allow it to be made safe to work on it, a shower spends most of its time off and is manually switched on for every use anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OK guys I had to kill a couple of posts, sorry to everyone who took so long typing them. There seems to be an issue with company reps jumping in and out of forums, this was addressed a while back to the best of my knowledge in another area on boards, that's why you will see that from time to time I move an ESB question to the Consumer Issues forum where the ESB have a rep.

To thank you Mr Triton and everyone else.

OP in short turn it off at the isolator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sparkfireman

Stoner wrote: »
    OK guys I had to kill a couple of posts, sorry to everyone who took so long typing them. There seems to be an issue with company reps jumping in and out of forums, this was addressed a while back to the best of my knowledge in another area on boards, that's why you will see that from time to time I move an ESB question to the Consumer Issues forum where the ESB have a rep.

To thank you Mr Triton and everyone else.

OP in short turn it off at the isolator.

I dont understand? Are they Butting in and talking nonsense or whats the story? I dont really follow!! Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I asked Stoner the same thing in an Private Message. I have't received a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

We, the mortals

i assume it's to prevent 'surreptitious' advertising:)

keep them in check- in other words

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

ixoy wrote: »
    We have a Triton T90xr and, on occasion, we've forgotten to pull the string that supplies power to the unit (I think this is called an isolator switch?). Now the only noticeable difference from the outside is the red light on the shower unit (as the shower unit itself isn't turned on).

Does this matter? If the "isolator switch" is on, does it make make a difference unless the shower unit itself is turned on and pumping/heating water? I don't want to burn out the unit just because I accidentally forgot to pull a string on my way out of the bathroom.

this switch is a safety switch it allows current flow to the triton box when on or it stops it at the switch when turned off.
    its safer obviously to turn it off but it makes no difference to the shower unit if its turned on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sorry guys I was away and it was difficult to mod using my phone, such tiny boxes to tick.

10.10.20 I did reply to you, a lovely long response, but the PM portal died on me as I sent it. I just checked my sent items and it's not there, sorry about that, human error on my part.

The issue related to company reps. There are lots of issues here that are above all of us, i.e. is a poster really a rep, even if a users works for somewhere do they have permission to speak for that company. Is boards the correct place for any company to administer customer support or help?

I know that in this case that we seemed to have a decent guy giving a well informed opinion, but there are overall rules that I have to follow. Nothing would have been removed if the user had a more generic name and nobody quoted him/her.

I had recently received direction about not editing posts that break rules so that everyone can see why there was an issue to begin with, so that is what I shall try to do from now on.

Anyway I'm sorry to everyone who took the time to address the OPs question only to have their post removed. I might rebuild the thread and bring everyones long posts back, I just have to edit some bits from them. It is a subject we have discussed here before and there was no issue before.

Best regards

Stoner

Advertisement