Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

moving to mac

• 28-09-2010 11:28pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭

due to a series of heart breaking events - external back up dying...followed by laptop 6 days later , total data loss.
    im investing in a macbook pro. going cheap as its an unplanned purchase, looking at a 13inch standard mbp. will 4gb and shared gfx cut it? looking at ssds too, see you can swap out disc drive for a ssd and the like... ideally id like dedicated gfx but i cant stretch that right now... unless i realllllly need to... do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

the hard drive in a mac can die just as easily as a pc. two backups is really a minimum for any serious photographer, as hard drives will die at some point

but in saying that, i love my imac and macbook pro far more than any pc i've ever owned. i use the 13in MBP and find it plenty fast with Adobe Lightroom and hundreds of huge 5DII raw files or full HD video

let me know if you'd like to see it in action if you want to see how fast lightroom works on a MBP in real world applications

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

does yours use onboard gfx? whats your spec? and man i'ver learnt my lesson...sniffle. flickr has the guts of my shots in hires jpeg... and the laptop, well the gfx died and wont boot, so data is recoverable...just it hasnt got most my stuff on it, ah well, using final cut this year so its prob for the best... the d700 is back on the back boiler again...sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

tis the core2 duo 2.53 GHz, 4GB RAM, with NVIDIA geForce 9400M

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the 329m is meant to be a big enough boost for games, dunno bout photoshop, pretty much same spec as i want to go for otherwise, so looks to be a good move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

My macbook is just over 3 years old. started with 512mb RAM, 120GB HDD and 2.16 GhZ C2D intel preocessor. I've upgraded to 4GB RAM (3.3GB recognised) and it was super fast. I upgraded to a WD Scorpio 500GB HDD and it slowed down a bit. maybe it was the extra HDD size that it has to search on a bigger HDD so it is going to be slower than my original laptop was designed for but it still works and is reliable. 3 years, a few upgrades that cost about €100 and its good for another year or two if nothing fails. Since being away from home the past year its been my main computer.

NooSixty had a 17" toshiba that was maybe 2 years old and was struggling with CS2 until I upgraded it to Windows 7 (until it got stolen). She upgraded to a Macbook Pro a few months ago, similar spec to yours, the cheapest MBP, 4GB RAM, C2D, 250GB HDD, 2.5ish GHZ processor and its awesome. It handles my D3 files way easier than my macbook.

Macs are made for graphic usage in mind. I can never, ever see myself returning to PC/Windows system ever again since switching to Apple Mac OS.

I know its cliché to say but....once you go mac, you don't go back!

• Advertisement

i'm turning my back on pc after being adement against macs for so long, mainly cos i NEED final cut, i feel like im cheating on a partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

you said both your drives failed right? Ive done a little data recovery in the last year (hardware wise not recovery software) so Id be glad to see what I could do for you as loosing all your photos and data is just very unfortunate and quite a loss as regards to photos.

Im in greystones so PM me and Ill see what I can do to get them working again. It is quite possible to do and theres 2 chances of getting your data back which is definitely better then trying the one.
    Also if you want to drop your laptop/pc over I repair them so Id be happy to take a look at that if you were willing to give the PC side one more chance to probe itself ;)

Im actually heading into UCD tomorrow for 1 to meet someone so I would be happy to meet you there as its probably closer to you.

you said both your drives failed right? Ive done a little data recovery in the last year (hardware wise not recovery software) so Id be glad to see what I could do for you as loosing all your photos and data is just very unfortunate and quite a loss as regards to photos.

Im in greystones so PM me and Ill see what I can do to get them working again. It is quite possible to do and theres 2 chances of getting your data back which is definitely better then trying the one.
    Also if you want to drop your laptop/pc over I repair them so Id be happy to take a look at that if you were willing to give the PC side one more chance to probe itself ;)

Im actually heading into UCD tomorrow for 1 to meet someone so I would be happy to meet you there as its probably closer to you.

oh man if you could thatd be awesome. my classmates live in greystones, i could pass it onto her to meet ya. i'll pm you tomorrow if thats cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

thats no problem,glad to help. Id hate to see a good PC go to waste plus glad to help out,Talk to you then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

As others have said, the basic MBP will be more than fine for running LR and Photoshop, I have one that's 2-3 years old at this stage, and it's more than fast enough to handle RAW files.

As for SSD, I've thought about it, and don't think it's worth the price at the moment. I'd get a FireWire external HDD, and use that as your Lightroom Catalogue (I've found it's performance is increased by having the catalog on a separate drive to LR itself), and you'll be laughing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I got an iMac back in January, upgrading from an old Dell desktop. Love it. Still have a Windows laptop and it's painful to use compared to the mac. Must save up for a Macbook!

just ordered a macbook pro...

i feel dirty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

just ordered a macbook pro...

i feel dirty

You wont regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

I have always had mac laptops

till couple of years ago, and one of many failed badly

so i went and bought a decent pc laptop, withing 4 weeks i sold it as i couldnt live without final cut on both desktop and laptop for on site stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

i moved from a windows laptop to an imac a couple of months ago and have never looked back, the screen alone is amazing, i hope you'll be happy with your macbook!

sorry about the data loss, that sounds awful :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Im the same - Dell Laptop to iMac.
    It's an astonishing change - but for nearly double the price.

It's well worth it though - use it for everything - illustrator etc., and given that it's less prone to viruses, I don't have to fear surfing online. Love the benefits of the mac to ipod connection too! :D

Advertisement