Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth Bothering...?

Options
  • 28-09-2010 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

I have being flirting with the idea for some time now of joining the garda reserve. However I just have to ask....

I personally dont have a record. Im clean as a whistle. I have being to college, I have spent about 3 years doing voluntary work with various organisations. I have some great character references from previous jobs. And I can get plenty of people to attest to my character.

However my 2 brothers. One is in jail at the minute for drug trafficking and the other is on the run for manslaughter. And all 3 of them have being in and out of trouble since they were 9 or 10. Mountjoy is their second home at this stage to be honest about it.

Am I just wasting my time applying? Or would I be able to explain to them that you cant choose your family?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

You can't chose your family as they say. You should apply and see what happens. The worst they can say is no.

Maybe you could have a chat with the sergeant in your local station. Ask him if he thinks you have a realistic chance of being accepted. He would know your situation and have a good understanding of how the background checks work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Gerry.L wrote: »
    I have being flirting with the idea for some time now of joining the garda reserve. However I just have to ask....

I personally dont have a record. ...

Am I just wasting my time applying? Or would I be able to explain to them that you cant choose your family?

I think that when you know for certain you are committed to the idea of being a Reserve Garda then the endless 'what-if' possibilities won't be such a factor. You will find yourself applying and saying "right! this is it, I'm going to give it my all and that's all I can do".

I completely agree with DavidH82, 100% could not have said it better. Tell me, have you thought anymore on the idea of applying since you posted here last?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Tell me, have you thought anymore on the idea of applying since you posted here last?

Yep. I have indeed. I talked to a community garda.

He took my details and is going to enquire for me. Im expecting a call in the next week or two.

However his "off the record" opinion was not to get my hopes up.

I never said in my op (not that I was hiding the fact, if anything I thought it would help my case) but I do voluntary work for an organisation that helps republican prisoners. He thinks that might be an issue, but wouldnt comment- or at least "officially" comment.

So that coupled with the fact my family are well known for drugs and stuff its not looking good.. :(

Its a pity because I would really like to do this- and to be honest I shouldnt be held responsible if my brothers made their money by importing lorry loads of drugs :mad: :mad:

Though if this fails Ive got my eye on the civil defence. He recommended I try that out. Any ideas what thats like..?? I was looking at their hours and they only meet up once a week for an hour or two. Id like something a bit more... emm something I can get stuck into and maybe make something of myself with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Well done on approaching the Community Guard. I would take heed to what they said to you. You're going about this the right way in my opinion and not rushing in head-first.

Take a look here for all various threads and info on Voluntary ES like the Civil Defence.

I hope that you will keep us posted as I would highly doubt you are alone in this scenario you presented to us here.

Advertisement