Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let people know who's ignored ?

Options
  • 29-09-2010 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

I've got 2 or 3 people on my ignore list, and I have to say that I've given in once or twice to clicking the "View post" urge.

What I've spotted in those cases is that they're baiting me saying "your silence is deafening" and other such crap, even though I simply don't want to engage them anymore.

So is there a way to let people know that the ignore is in play, so that bull**** like this doesn't given the individuals in question a "we won" sense of victory - or more to the point, since I couldn't care less what the ignored individuals think - so that others reading the threads know the reason for the non-reply ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Report thier posts, tell the mod you have them on ignore but they are baiting you which can be consider breaking the 'being a dick' rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

there's a firefox addon for vbulletin management called FfVb which is really good - you can add users, threads and forums to your ignore list and they are gone forever, you don't see any posts made by users you've ignored or threads started by them.

I recommend.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

tbh wrote: »
    you don't see any posts made by users you've ignored

Is that not exactly what the Ignore button does?

It's a bit silly to click on the View button if you don't want to know what someone is saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

It's a bit silly to click on the View button if you don't want to know what someone is saying.

With the firefox App you don't even see that they have posted

I ave never used Ignore but it seems to be soemthing that bothers people that they can still see that someone has posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

it is a bit silly but
    it's human nature to want to know the kind of thing you're missing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Report thier posts, tell the mod you have them on ignore but they are baiting you which can be consider breaking the 'being a dick' rule.

Cheers Thaedydal.......that did cross my mind, but it also shows that curiosity got the better of me, so it's partially my own fault in that regard.

It did make me think about how it comes across to other people reading the thread, though, which is why I posted this.

Basically, there's no way of dealing with it without "checking" to see if they're continuing the baiting, which goes against the whole concept of ignoring them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I know it's a pita, esp when your trying to ignore it and rise above it.
    I have told people they have hit my ignore list when I am disengaging so that they know they won't get replies from me but some people just won't quit which is unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I have told people they have hit my ignore list when I am disengaging so that they know they won't get replies from me but some people just won't quit which is unfortunate.

Thats pretty much what i would have said.

Sorry, i refuse to engage with you anymore, forgive me if i dont respond

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

download and install this -> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7023/

really handy. had to use it on the soccer trolls who the mods cant/wont seem to do anything about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

From what I've seen people take great pleasure in announcing to everyone that they have now put someone on ignore anyway. Which to me comes across as fierce petty and inflammatory in itself.

YOU'RE ON IGNORE NOW - SO THERE.

If you're gonna do it, do it, but making a big song and dance about it is so childish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

For me, ignoring is a cognitive action. I'm not sure I need VBulletin these days to make me disregard posters I don't like.

Public ignore lists would be like a thumbs-down button: just a source of friction and oneupmanship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i was big against using ignore tbh, but its kinda like a filter system. instead of reading pages of crap you can actually just get to the good, informative parts a lot quicker and not have to put up with rubbish spouted in a game of baiting

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Cheers Thaedydal.......that did cross my mind, but it also shows that curiosity got the better of me, so it's partially my own fault in that regard.

It did make me think about how it comes across to other people reading the thread, though, which is why I posted this.

Basically, there's no way of dealing with it without "checking" to see if they're continuing the baiting, which goes against the whole concept of ignoring them.
    Honestly Liam,I used be like that but,it costs nothing to walk away from posters with whom you find so little common ground such that their posts upset you that much.
    The best thing to do in those circumstances is ignore them.

You could put a list of who is on your ignore list into your sig,but people with sigs off wouldn't see that.
    I'm aware that I have been on your ignore list in the past,undeservedly in my opinion.
    Ye Godz if I had to put alll the people I have different opinions to,on ignore on this site,I'd be missing a lot of threads and so would everybody else.
    Part of the crack here,like it or lump it,is you are supposed to be here to discuss stuff and part and parcel with that comes posts that you will from time to time (and posters ) utterly disagree with.

If they know you have them on ignore and still flame you,then report them but walk away if the purpose of putting them on ignore in the first place was you don't feel they deserve engagement with you.

Thats my crucial bullwark round here,do people deserve my time or not.
    Most people show that they do thankfully even if they don't always like what I say.

Advertisement