Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Paperwork for 457 sponsorship-OZ

Options
  • 29-09-2010 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi Guys,
    Hopefully this week or next we'll get the go ahead from the boyfriends boss that they are willing to sponsor him/us. We would love to have the paperwork ready to go so there is no major delays. Does anyone have a list of the necessary personal documents we will need to supply to immigration. We are together many years so that should not be an issue. Will we need medicals?? Irish police checks? Basically I would love someone who is/has been in a similar situation to give me the low down on what exactly you need to supply. We are planning on using an agent but would love to go prepared so there is no unneccessary stalling in our application. I should point out that we have been living in Oz the past 2 years.
    Many thanks to those who take the time to reply to this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

niamh19841 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Hopefully this week or next we'll get the go ahead from the boyfriends boss that they are willing to sponsor him/us. We would love to have the paperwork ready to go so there is no major delays. Does anyone have a list of the necessary personal documents we will need to supply to immigration. We are together many years so that should not be an issue. Will we need medicals?? Irish police checks? Basically I would love someone who is/has been in a similar situation to give me the low down on what exactly you need to supply. We are planning on using an agent but would love to go prepared so there is no unneccessary stalling in our application. I should point out that we have been living in Oz the past 2 years.
    Many thanks to those who take the time to reply to this.

Hmmm never did a 457 but some requirements are the same.

1: You need to collect every bill, letter, invite , picture etc that shows you lived together for 6 months prior to the application. So things like electricity bills, bank statements , your flight tickets that have you both on the same flight from Ireland, bills from Ireland 2 years ago etc.

2: You also may need two stat decs from people that knew you as a couple for 6 months. Just source these people for now preferably australian Citizens.

3: Start the garda check process now, from here I hear it can be lengthy.

Anyone spot a mistake in the above please correct me.

Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

What Zambia said is correct for the proof of relationship stuff. You need to give them as much info as possible.
    Im on a 457, got it in March. I did it on my own though, my OH is an Aussie citizen. If you both have private health insurance, you will not need to have a medical. i didnt anyway.

Here's a checklist for the application which has everything you need:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/_pdf/457-application-checklist.pdf

You should be able to find pretty much all the info about the 457 visa on here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/

I did it myself, didnt need an agent. Is not that complicated. If you have any questions call them on 131 881. You'll probably be on hold for a while, but they are helpful when you do get through. Good luck!

Oh and, make sure that if you are leaving the country while its being processed that you apply for a Bridging Visa B to allow you to get back into the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 niamh19841

Thanks for your replies so helpful,
    Was on the Garda website there do i presume we just ring up and apply for clearance?? whats the deal with Australian clearance??
    Another issue just came to me. The boyfriends employers already are sponsoring an Irish employee so I assume they dont have send in the application again?? as they are already approved, perhaps though their accounts etc?
    Thanks again guys just trying to get organised. May possibly even think of doing it ourselves as you say migration are pretty helpful just don't want to be constantly hassling the boss for documents etc is all. Many thanks again.

Was on the Garda website there do i presume we just ring up and apply for clearance?? whats the deal with Australian clearance??

Right with the Garda dont be Coy

State
    "I want a police background check for the purposes of emigrating to Australia"

With the Aus one well chances are they will request one nearer the time. In victoria it takes about 2 weeks so dont stress over it. Chances are if you get it to early it will expire. It might be a Federal Police check.

What state are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Was on the Garda website there do i presume we just ring up and apply for clearance?? whats the deal with Australian clearance?? .

You have to write a letter to the Superintendant of you place of residence in Ireland. You'll find it on www.garda.ie
    I dont think you need an Australian one, i didnt and i was in Australia for nearly a year at that stage. But i would check that out.
    Another issue just came to me. The boyfriends employers already are sponsoring an Irish employee so I assume they dont have send in the application again?? as they are already approved, perhaps though their accounts etc?.

That good news, that means that his employer has already been approved as a sponsor. That takes care of the first part of the application, which takes the longest. They just have to nominate your boyfriend, then your boyfriend applies to the sponsored, along with you.
    Thanks again guys just trying to get organised. May possibly even think of doing it ourselves as you say migration are pretty helpful just don't want to be constantly hassling the boss for documents etc is all. Many thanks again.

No worries, it can be pretty stressful, but just keep calm and dont be afraid to ask your employer/immigration/the fine people of the Australia/NZ forum for info. :)
    Its better to get it right first time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Have been through the process and have had numerous friends go through it all too and I've never heard of any of us having to get the police checks done at home? Maybe it depends on the type of work you're doing out here?!

As for proof of a relationship, like Zambia says, just get all bank statements, leases, utility bills etc together over the last six months to a year. They don't have to be joint, once they're for the same address that's usually enough. Also, any flights/holidays ye may have booked together comes in very useful.

If your boyfriends' company already sponsor somebody else, they shouldn't have to apply to be a sponsor again, but that all depends on when they actually sponsored the other person. This might help out in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Traq wrote: »
    Have been through the process and have had numerous friends go through it all too and I've never heard of any of us having to get the police checks done at home? Maybe it depends on the type of work you're doing out here?!

As for proof of a relationship, like Zambia says, just get all bank statements, leases, utility bills etc together over the last six months to a year. They don't have to be joint, once they're for the same address that's usually enough. Also, any flights/holidays ye may have booked together comes in very useful.

If your boyfriends' company already sponsor somebody else, they shouldn't have to apply to be a sponsor again, but that all depends on when they actually sponsored the other person. This might help out in that regard.

You dont need a police check, it is basically a de-facto visa you are on so its not needed.

The only thing he will really need to do is get Health Insurance (then cancel it or not get it at all if applying online!)

It is only $275 to apply online as well getting a solicitor just bumps up the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

you dont need nealth insurance if you are irish. its pretty confusing and i thought i did but in the end i didnt.
    from my migration agent:

DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE

Updated Curriculum Vitae / Resume

Certified Copies of Qualifications (Detailed certificates, transcripts, etc)

Certified Copies of Written Letters of Employment References

NOTE: Above required for main applicant

Certified copy of bio-page of passport

1 Recent passport photograph for Form 1066 (print name, DOB and sign on back of each photograph)

Colour passport-sized photograph - less than 6 months old (please refer to the attached for more information)

NOTE: Above required for main applicant and all accompanying dependent family members

certified documents that prove your dependent children’s identity - preferably a certified copy of birth registration showing both parents’ names

Certified copy of all marriage certificates or evidence of de-facto relationshi

Certified copy of divorce decree or death certificate of deceased spouse

Certified copy of name change, for example by marriage or deed poll

Certified copy of documents that verify custody and access arrangements and/or adoption papers / Evidence of dependency for children over 18 years

Certified copy of military record or discharge papers if served in armed forces

NOTE: Above required for main applicant and accompanying spouse/de-facto partner

Signed and completed Form 1066

Signed and completed Form 956

Evidence of Private Health Insurance

Note: Residents of the following countries have access to Medicare under reciprocal arrangements hence only travel insurance covering initial stay in Australia is required with subsequent enrolment with Medicare after arrival in Australia.

§ United Kingdom
    § Sweden
    § Finland
    § Norway
    § The Netherlands
    § Belgium
    § Malta
    § Italy
    § Ireland (travel insurance is not required)

the italics are listed as "if applicable" the rest of the stuff is a requirement.

the hardest thing for me to do was get someone to bring my degree into trinity to get a certified copy sent over and then to get a translation and transcript.

hope that helps.

uglyjohn wrote: »
    the italics are listed as "if applicable" the rest of the stuff is a requirement.

the hardest thing for me to do was get someone to bring my degree into trinity to get a certified copy sent over and then to get a translation and transcript.

hope that helps.

That would be worth mentioning on the trinity or general third level thread.

Seeing as I hear all degrees that can be used to work abroad have upped in pionts to get into in the last few years.

• Advertisement

well, it was hard due to time zones and term times and office hours and family members at home working and so on.

i think people in trinity are used to being asked for translations of degrees into english.

Do they offer a engilish transcription alongside it if you ask?

Surely for Foreign Students its a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 niamh19841

Wow lads thanks a million,
    Kind of getting my head around it now a bit. I had just assumed we needed police checks but perhaps its not the case which is good. Spent a good deal of time on the immigration website your right def laid out to do it yourself perhaps see how we get on with it. The key appears to be organisation.
    I'd like to thank each and everyone of you again for your replies feel a bit more confident now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Daithio2

Don't write to the Gardai, ring up your previous local station and tell them exactly what you need it for. I've done it twice now, once for myself, and once for a friend when I was in Ireland and he was in Aus. For me they just sent it out to Sydney, didn't need any proof of ID or anything. My friend had to fax in a stamped copy of his passport. Each time I stressed that it was urgent, and both times they arrived within about three weeks. Get the name of the Garda who you first talk to and chase him/ her up.

The Aussie thing takes about 2 weeks if I remember. It's a much more formalised process. It's a federal police clearance you'll be looking for, cost $43 when I did it, you can get the form from any police station and then you just fill it out and send it off with your credit card details.

As regards the proof of relationship thing, the photos etc are important, but people tend to overdo that side of things, and not gather enough hard evidence of proof of living together/ financial inter-dependence etc. Although I've never heard of a genuine relationship getting refused, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Also, I wouldn't bother wasting your money on an agent. All the info you need is there online and the immigration helpline is very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭saraj14

Hi
    My boyfriend and i got the 457 visa about 2 months ago. We went through an agent. All that was required was the following:
    (For us both)
    Chest x-rays.
    Medical Insurance
    Documents to prove that we lived together for six months.
    Bills, bank statements and a lease etc.
    Photocopies of our passports and all stamps from Australia.
    (For him)
    Letter of offer of employment
    References
    CV

Our agent did not want to see any photos, or letters etc.

Hope i didn't leave anything out.
    Our visa was processed within 3 weeks once everything was submitted.
    Best of luck hope it all goes smoothly.

Advertisement