Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we have separate forums for Metal and Rock?

Options
  • 29-09-2010 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I am not into the Metal too much, just the Classic Rock or rock in general. Threads on Metal don't interest me too much and i am sure that other members have the same view. That would also work for Metal fans that don't care for Rock or Classic Rock.

Personally i would like to see a separate forum for Metal and a forum for Rock threads.

BTW, Malice gave me the go ahead for this poll.:)

Forums for Metal and Rock? 29 votes

Separate forum for Metal and another forum for Rock etc.
    0%
    Leave the forum the way it is.
    100%
    CreatureNevynBlistermanmachiavellianmeenda1Motley CrueslayerkingVic VinegarSunset Vdarrenw5094Joe_DullDrumStevelol5605topper75brendansmithdocdolittledrawnacroliguycyphariusbigwormbundoran 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The topic was discussed in this thread which lasted over a year. After plenty of discussion, the powers that be decided there was no need to separate this forum for many reasons.

If you decide to trawl through the thread, many posters (including myself) thought that separating the forum would create hassle as there is a very thin line between the types of bands that would fall into either category. Also, the R/M forum doesn't have enough traffic to warrant a split and doing so would open the gates for other music forums to split into countless other sub forums.

I am dead set against it as I like both, and separating R/M into two forums will hinder the amount of overall discussion. If you don't like metal, don't read metal threads and if you like classic rock, read/contribute to/create classic rock threads. Simples :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Lets have NO discussion at all and everyone just vote.

I gave the poll a lifetime of 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Lets have NO discussion at all and everyone just vote.

I gave the poll a lifetime of 2 weeks.

No discussion on a discussion board, hmmmmmmmm :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Lets have NO discussion at all
    Thats what would happen if you seperated the forum tbh.

Rock & metal is how it should be imo, who defines what is "rock" and what is "metal", each person would have a slightly different definition. Creates more unnecessary work for the mods, having to move threads etc. You would be splitting one forum that doesnt get a lot of traffic into two forums that would get even less. Doesnt make much sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I vote we have a sub category of "emo sh|te" that we can throw all phaggotry emo sh|te into, and leave the forum pure :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'd like it if I could separate the forum into "stuff I like" and "stuff I don't like".

Max Power1 wrote: »
    ...one forum that doesnt get a lot of traffic...
    In comparison to the other genre-specifc forums in the music category, Rock & Metal has way more traffic than all of them except for Electronic Music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

My 2c says that a general rock and metal forum allows metal to be discussed alongside other rock music instead of it being removed from overall discussion, if that makes any sense. To so many elitists metal is viewed as a joke, I'd prefer to see it out on the main stage here. Personally I have no issue with genres even the emo stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Malice_ wrote: »
    In comparison to the other genre-specifc forums in the music category, Rock & Metal has way more traffic than all of them except for Electronic Music.
    I meant in comparison with a forum like AH, PI, soccer or Motors - all of which would have enough traffic to withstand such a split.

Point taken - I dont want to rain on your forum!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No way, grand the way it is, if you don't like a thread don't read it. Lots of threads about bands I don't like.

Also, lots of bands easily fall into both categories due to changes in style over time.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I think it should be left as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I voted to leave it as is.As others have already said,it would be damn near impossible to differentiate between them.

*wonders if Dr Bollocko has gotten wind of this thread.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I meant in comparison with a forum like AH, PI, soccer or Motors - all of which would have enough traffic to withstand such a split.

Point taken - I dont want to rain on your forum!
    Ah okay. Yes, in comparison to those Rock & Metal is probably quite small! Also, it's not my forum, it's everyones. Well, technically it belongs to the site owners but you know what I mean :).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I think separate threads would have advantages, but then the traffic through both might be substantially lower then it could be through one....therefore having less opinion and less chance to comment on stories you wouldn't otherwise

Besides, I come here for both genre's....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Keep it the way it is. I like both Rock and Metal, and it's handier to just have it all in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It's grand the way it is imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

Im in the yes camp here, although what got me into metal was listening to bands like GnR and Skid feckin Row :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

voted to leave it as it is like everything in one place.If it aint broke it dont need fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Im in the yes camp here, although what got me into metal was listening to bands like GnR and Skid feckin Row :)

WHat is rock? What is metal?

I would have put those 2 bands into the metal category and softc0ck stuff like U2 into rock. Comprende?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I think Malice summed it up, everyone has a "what I like" and "what I don't like" view on this.

Rock and Metal are notoriously broad, so best to keep it all together.

Had you asked me this 5 years ago, I would have insisted there weas a split, but then I found Metal Ireland and had another outlet.

That said, I reall really really hate threads about bands that are basically mainstream pop passed off as rock because they use guitars turned up past 7....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

There's not enough traffic to warrant splitting the forum, plus it creates very, very annoying elitism. On another site which has much more traffic than here, they have Metal, Classic Rock, Hardcore, 80's Rock and Progressive forums and it just leads to lots of arguments about whether a band is one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Harrocks wrote: »
    voted to leave it as it is like everything in one place.If it aint broke it dont need fixing.

+1.

On another site which has much more traffic than here, they have Metal, Classic Rock, Hardcore, 80's Rock and Progressive forums and it just leads to lots of arguments about whether a band is one or the other.
    Out of curiousity, what's that site? You can PM me if you don't want to publicise it :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

sure it works grand as it is!

besides i'd hate to miss out on the exposure to new bands i get here from people with all kinds of eclectic tastes;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Malice_ wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, what's that site? You can PM me if you don't want to publicise it :).

Ultimate-guitar, I love it otherwise. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

WHat is rock? What is metal?

I would have put those 2 bands into the metal category and softc0ck stuff like U2 into rock. Comprende?

Skid Row are supposedly Heavy Metal but i would put them into the Hard Rock category alongside GnR. There is a signicficant difference between what I consider rock to what is metal.

Advertisement