Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Melbourne? Let's see if we can get a group together!

Options
  • 29-09-2010 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I'm moving to Melbourne soon, and I don't know anyone there. It'd be great to meet some people who are doing the same thing to travel with, and maybe find a place to share?

What would be great would be to get a few people together some evening who are all thinking of going at around the same time for a couple of drinks - we could get to know each other and help each other out.

Anyone interested?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I'm moving to Melbourne soon, and I don't know anyone there. It'd be great to meet some people who are doing the same thing to travel with, and maybe find a place to share?

What would be great would be to get a few people together some evening who are all thinking of going at around the same time for a couple of drinks - we could get to know each other and help each other out.

Anyone interested?

When do you arrive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PurpleMonkey47

I'm already here a month but give me a PM if you're interested in meeting up over here, could always do with more drinkin buddies:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Melbourne beers???

• Registered Users Posts: 24 melbournebound

There's a fair in the RDS this weekend, so I'm going to that before setting definite dates last week, but I'm going in October anyway.

And I'll definitely be PMing, PurpleMonkey! Really appreciate it!

Doc wrote: »
    Melbourne beers???
    Friday 22nd October ?

The Irish times ?

6-7 pm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Friday 22nd October ?

The Irish times ?

6-7 pm?

Yes?

Doc wrote: »
    Yes?

Lets see what the level of interest is ...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 b mac donncha

Friday 22nd October ?

The Irish times ?

6-7 pm?

Hey Zambia, Heading to OZ in lesss than two wks and will be arriving in melbourne on the 19th Oct so i would be on for meeting for a few beers defo

Brennie

Hey Zambia, Heading to OZ in lesss than two wks and will be arriving in melbourne on the 19th Oct so i would be on for meeting for a few beers defo

Brennie

Good stuff. You should just be over your Jet lag ...dont underestimate the effect of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Lets see what the level of interest is ...:)

Aw bugger, would love to but I'll be away for the second half of October! If there's one closer to Christmas I'm there! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Moving to Melbourne for at least 6 months the last week of November. Only arriving for two weeks at the start to get things sorted and then off to Sydney til January but after that will be in Melbourne until July at least.

Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

Just seen this topic. I'm travelling to Australia on November 7th. Going on my own :eek: Starting off in Melbourne. I arrive in Melbourne early on the Tues morning Melbourne time 9th Nov. I've no idea how long I plan to stay there. Defo 1-2 weeks till I get my Australian bank account sorted. Would defo be interested in this. How long does the jet lag usually take to get rid off. 2-4days?

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    Just seen this topic. I'm travelling to Australia on November 7th. Going on my own :eek: Starting off in Melbourne. I arrive in Melbourne early on the Tues morning Melbourne time 9th Nov. I've no idea how long I plan to stay there. Defo 1-2 weeks till I get my Australian bank account sorted. Would defo be interested in this. How long does the jet lag usually take to get rid off. 2-4days?

2 Days will be fine enjoy your flight

2 Days will be fine enjoy your flight

I'll try. Any hints on how to keep myself occupied for nearly 20hrs lol. I'm flying via Kuala Lumper. All part of the adventure I suppose.

I'll try. Any hints on how to keep myself occupied for nearly 20hrs lol. I'm flying via Kuala Lumper. All part of the adventure I suppose.

PSP is always handy .

Inflight movies

Or if your really lucky sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Count me in! Sleep on the plane if you can. Even after many vodkas I still could not get to sleep. I slept for 4 hours between monday morning and wednesday morning. Arrived 6.30am cooked breaky and went into the city for a look around. I went into the Young and Jackson for 2 pints around 5pm. I totally crashed all of a sudden, tired to the point of confusion. Went to bed and slept for 18 hours straight. It was epic:)

PSP is always handy .

Inflight movies

Or if your really lucky sleep.

I'm not really a good sleeper on journeys, but I'll try. I'll bring plenty of word search books as well and the Ipod to keep me going lol.

Hey Rebel Boy, I am flying out to Melbourne on the 7th aswell, are you flying from Dublin?, I am going Ethiad leaving at 8.50 in the morning, might be an idea to meet if we are on the same flight?!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Hey Rebel Boy, I am flying out to Melbourne on the 7th aswell, are you flying from Dublin?, I am going Ethiad leaving at 8.50 in the morning, might be an idea to meet if we are on the same flight?!:)

Going on my own on the same flight leaving on the 5th.

Hey. I'm going Cork-Heatrow, Heatrow-Kuala Lumper, Kuala Lumper-Melbourne. Leaves Heatrow at 10pm Sunday the 7th November. I leave Cork at 4pm around 5hr wait in Heatrow with isn't the worst. Anyone staying in Base hostel in St. Kilda? I'm going to be there the Weds & Thurs anyways.Prob move on else where on the Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cooper90

howa ya im going in the next 3 weeks just waiting on selling my car. I have stayed in base before! its not the worst place in the world! How much did you all pay for your flights iv found flights on go.hop for 950, it through KL so think i might go with that as much as id like to splash on singapore for the comfort!

cooper90 wrote: »
    howa ya im going in the next 3 weeks just waiting on selling my car. I have stayed in base before! its not the worst place in the world! How much did you all pay for your flights iv found flights on go.hop for 950, it through KL so think i might go with that as much as id like to splash on singapore for the comfort!

I got mine for €1037 return. 6 month ticket but I have the option to extend that if I wish closer to the time of return etc, which may cost a small fee. Before I booked I got a quote for Singapore airlines which included having to stay one night in Singapore but you would have to get your own accommodation separate It was dearer but can't remember how much. I might try to take in K.L on the way home depending on funds thats if I come home lol.

Hasmunch wrote: »
    Going on my own on the same flight leaving on the 5th.

Am heading on 5th November got my dates wrong! Anyone got any tips on a place to stay ? Might try a hotel for the first few days

Ooops! Looks like we slipped onto the second page!

There's a fair few of us going off in the next week or two. We should get together in the next few weeks. We can keep in touch on this thread and keep each other up to date on the progress and what's going on...

booked today, going via toronto and San fransico and arive on the 3rd of december in melbourne! going to book a week in a hostle and hopefully have some where to live by then! and start work on the 5th of january! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Lads make sure you have the correct weight allowed for your bags. My brother went over a couple of weeks ago. Singapore airlines where charging crazy money per extra kilo. I'll ask him exactly what the cost was next time I talk to him but he ended up leaving a bag behind here in Dublin.

EDIT:
    Malaysian airlines allow you twenty kilo. After that its sixty four euro per kilo

What are you going to be working at?

I think I'm going to stay in a hostel at first as well, probably Base hostel in St. Kilda (since there are OK reviews!!) not not sure for how long.

What kind of place are you looking for to live in? Is there something like Daft in Oz?

I think I'm going to stay in a hostel at first as well, not sure for how long.

What kind of place are you looking for to live in? Is there something like Daft in Oz?

its not quite daft but its the main one for melboune that i can find http://www.domain.com.au/?mode=rent

hopefully find a place in richmond or near the MCG, iv a mate moveing over with me so should be a laugh! Iv got a 3 year contract doing structural engineering so happy as a pig in ****!

Thanks for that, I'll definitely be looking at it!

3 year contract is great!

• Advertisement

I think I'm going to stay in a hostel at first as well, probably Base hostel in St. Kilda (since there are OK reviews!!) not not sure for how long.

When you going t be in Base? I'm there next Wednesday and Thursday. Really excited now ,but also really nervous about been so far away from home.

Advertisement