Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cans of stout/ale more expensive than beer, but pints are cheaper...

• 29-09-2010 4:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

i have been reading posts on boards for a while so i finally decided to set up an account... well anyway i always wondered why the price of a well known draught stout or ale is always cheaper then a pint of lager yet the cans are always more expensive. any ideas why??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

robot6 wrote: »
    i have been reading posts on boards for a while so i finally decided to set up an account... well anyway i always wondered why the price of a well known draught stout or ale is always cheaper then a pint of lager yet the cans are always more expensive. any ideas why??
    Draught lager is more expensive because the market will support that. Stout drinkers down the pub are more price-conscious than lager drinkers (they're older) so they don't get fleeced as hard.

The off licence is a totally different market. There's competition here, which doesn't really exist in the pub. Price a can of lager too high and the drinker will simply trade down to a cheaper brand, something that's rarely an option in the pub. With stout, however, you aren't experiencing competition from cheap imports so the price can stay high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Are there any non-Irish macro stouts? I can't think of any. Seems strange that there are dozens of foreign macro lagers in the off license.

Does the Irish market believe that only the Irish can "do" stout?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Are there any non-Irish macro stouts?
    Sold in Ireland and pitched at the mass market? No. Young's Double Chocolate is possibly the closest, but it's definitely in the "specialty beer" bracket.
    Seems strange that there are dozens of foreign macro lagers in the off license.
    Irish people drink three times as much lager as they do stout.
    Does the Irish market believe that only the Irish can "do" stout?
    The people who supply it seem to, though not as much as they did a couple of years ago. There are loads of UK craft stouts available now that weren't until recently: the likes of Little Valley Stoodley, Breaconshire Night Beacon and Hook Norton Double.

Advertisement