Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World road race and time trial championships 2010 - Melbourne

• 29-09-2010 6:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

So anyone know the complete sets of riders on the Irish teams? Is there an u23 team?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

u23 didnt qualify according to
    http://www.cyclingireland.ie/Home/High-Performance/High-Performance-Squad-News/World-Championships-2010.aspx

senior team
    Elite Men’s TT – Thursday 30th September
    1. David McCann

Elite Men’s RR – Sunday 3rd October
    1. Nicholas Roche
    2. David McCann
    3. Matt Brammeier

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/2010/09/03/irish-team-for-the-2010-cycling-worlds-road-race-championships-in-melbourne/

havent seen any mention of whose in the womens squad

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Mens road race team is
    Nicolas Roche
    Dave McCann
    Matt Brammeier

Mens TT
    David McCann

We just missed out on qualifying a mens /u23 team (by one place I believe). /until the last ranking were produced it was looking like we'd qualify a team of 3-5. It's a bloody complicated system....

No women qualified either I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Womens TT results

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci-road-world-championships-cm/elite-women/results

Great winner but look who's 5th !!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭rochefan

Is there such a thing as a wild card for the womens? It seems strange that at least one wasn't allowed to start as the field usually is less than 200 so it seems they should give wild cards. For the mens U23 the field will be full so wild cards mightn't be issued. How did Ireland qualify women every year so far?

rochefan wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as a wild card for the womens? It seems strange that at least one wasn't allowed to start as the field usually is less than 200 so it seems they should give wild cards. For the mens U23 the field will be full so wild cards mightn't be issued. How did Ireland qualify women every year so far?

Wild cars are reserved at present for the regional champions )e.d African/Asian champs.
    I suspect the womens places up to now have been won by Siobhan Horgan's results at the women's TDF,

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »

There's hope for you yet Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Has to go down as greatest cyclist of all time

sy wrote: »
    Has to go down as greatest cyclist of all time
    Jeannie Longo-Ciprelli
    Date of birth: October 31, 1958
    Place of birth: Saint-Gervais-les-Bains, France Professional:
    http://www.cyclingarchives.com/coureurfiche.php?coureurid=5649

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Do World Champs winners also qualify for BUCI ranking points?

(BUCI = Boards.iesque Union Cycliste Internationale)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Do World Champs winners also qualify for BUCI ranking points?

(BUCI = Boards.iesque Union Cycliste Internationale)
    No, but we'll be running some special officially boards-sanctioned "races" to determine overall rankings.

They tend to be head-to-head - winner takes all. Are you interested in partaking?

• Advertisement

Maybe a test of cycling knowledge a la El Tonto's Friday quiz a few weeks back?

Maybe a test of cycling knowledge a la El Tonto's Friday quiz a few weeks back?
    You can count me out of that one, as I know absolutely nothing about cycling.

I was trying to entice Slideshowbob out of "retirement" (if that's what he's in) for one final race ....

womens TT highlights on bbc red button if you have it, look for sports multiscreen, its on a loop at the moment

looks like a tough course
    jeannie longo palmares
    http://velopalmares.free.fr/longo.htm
    582 career wins !!!!!!!!!!!1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    Anyone fancy Roches chances think there are a few climbs in it if he can get into a break he is a decent sprinter.
    Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭backtobass

mike12 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Anyone fancy Roches chances think there are a few climbs in it if he can get into a break he is a decent sprinter.
    Mike

I certainly would and im going to have flutter on him, his roughly 40/1 to win. Normally cyclists in form throughout the season dont do well in the worlds, and its not a pure sprinters course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I fancy Roche to do well.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

40/1 with PP, 1st 3 places for ew bets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Don't think Roche will get the same assistance he needs from David and Matt for him to be a contender. The Irish team just isnt big enough to shelter their contender during the race. My money on Pozatto (sp?).

(World Cup 1966 moment) If you look at 1987 Kelly had Roche as his domestique/lead out man only Kelly never caught Roches wheel. When you have two cyling greats working for each other like that I don't think Roche Jr. can do it.

Why wasnt Daniel Martin chosen for the team given his form? Anyone know?

Crap just read who won the TT on Bikeradar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

TT Spoiler:
    1 Fabian Cancellara (Switzerland) 0:58:09
    2 David Millar (Great Britain) 0:01:02
    3 Tony Martin (Germany) 0:01:12
    4 Richie Porte (Australia) 0:01:19
    5 Michael Rogers (Australia) 0:02:25
    No Surprise I suppose but Fair Fuuks to Millar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Don't think Roche will get the same assistance he needs from David and Matt for him to be a contender. The Irish team just isnt big enough to shelter their contender during the race. My money on Pozatto (sp?).

(World Cup 1966 moment) If you look at 1987 Kelly had Roche as his domestique/lead out man only Kelly never caught Roches wheel. When you have two cyling greats working for each other like that I don't think Roche Jr. can do it.

Crap just read who won the TT on Bikeradar.

he was selected, he didn't fancy it as the course wasn't selective enough.

He asked not to be selected as he is targeting the Tour of Lombardy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

TT Spoiler:
    No Surprise I suppose but Fair Fuuks to Millar
    that was a bit of a surprise alright - would have been business as usual for first two except Martin had a puncture...

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

Here is a bit of reading, for the weekend thats in it.

Stephens roches 1987 World victory.

http://www.podiumcafe.com/2010/9/27/1714556/a-worlds-tale-stephen-roche-villach-austria-1987

Beached wrote: »

http://www.podiumcafe.com/2010/9/27/1714556/a-worlds-tale-stephen-roche-villach-austria-1987

That Article while good, never mentions Alan McCormick who also rode for Ireland that year and did some good work especially in the earlier part of the race.

Beached wrote: »

love the bit about the city centre crits brilliant - wish i'd seen them

great ride from fab ian

just watching the highlights last night he murdered that course

Mens Under 23 race went off today. Won't spoil the result but there is a class photo finish,
    see if you can separate 3rd and 4th.

0004m01_600.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

^^ Unreal photo finish!

• Advertisement
Advertisement