Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truck incident at Leinster House

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dannyhandy

what he done yesterday was carefully planed and well thought about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

ladies who wants a cement truck wedged in yer gate. that dildo was not a sausage

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dannyhandy

he had the balls to make his point and make his voice be heard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

gotitbrian wrote: »
    Right guys, you are all great at whinging on this board! Why dont you all whinge to the right people! Below are the email addresses of all the Ministers, TDs, Senators! Why not email them with your thoughts, bear in mind that if you are abusive etc it will be ignored and also unless you put your name and address at the bottom they will also ignore it. Dont be afraid!

taoiseach@taoiseach.gov.ie; mary.coughlan@oireachtas.ie; minister@finance.gov.ie; minister's_office@health.irlgov.ie; minister@transport.ie; info@justice.ie; minister@dfa.ie; minister@welfare.ie; mary.hanafin@oireachtas.ie; minister@environ.ie; minister.ryan@dcenr.gov.ie; Minister@agriculture.gov.ie; batt.okeeffe@oireachtas.ie; aire@pobail.ie; tony.killeen@oireachtas.ie; John.Curran@taoiseach.gov.ie; minister_andrews@health.irlgov.ie; dick.roche@taoiseach.gov.ie; conor.lenihan@oireachtas.ie; sean.haughey@oireachtas.ie; billy.kelleher@deti.ie; john_moloney@health.gov.ie; michael_finneran@environ.ie; peter.power@dfa.ie; martin.mansergh@opw.ie; aine.brady@oireachtas.ie; dara.calleary@deti.ie; ciarancuffe@transport.ie; sean.connick@agriculture.gov.ie; marya.white@oireachtas.ie; Ivana.Bacik@oireachtas.ie; Dan.Boyle@oireachtas.ie; Paul.Bradford@oireachtas.ie; Martin.Brady@oireachtas.ie; Paddy.Burke@oireachtas.ie; Larry.Butler@oireachtas.ie; Jerry.Buttimer@oireachtas.ie; Ivor.Callely@oireachtas.ie; Ciaran.Cannon@oireachtas.ie;
    Ann.Ormonde@oireachtas.ie; l]; eamon.scanlon@oireachtas.ie; michael.ring@oireachtas.ie; pj.sheehan@oireachtas.ie; sean.sherlock@oireachtas.ie; tom.sheahan@oireachtas.ie; roisin.shortall@oireachtas.ie; emmet.stagg@oireachtas.ie; david.stanton@oireachtas.ie; billy.timmins@oireachtas.ie; joanna.tuffy@oireachtas.ie; noel.treacy@oireachtas.ie; mary.upton@oireachtas.ie; michael.woods@oireachtas.ie; jack.wall@oireachtas.ie; mary.wallace@oireachtas.ie; leo.varadkar@oireachtas.ie

Just copy and paste the list into your email client. Remember call for a vote of no confidence

What would be the point in emailing them with our thoughts, the opposition TDs are powerless and the government doesn't want to know what the people think, hence their refusal to hold the 3 outstanding by-elections. Does any other government in the world refuse to hold by-elections on the grounds that it will 'distract' the government of the country ? Why should a by-election distract the government, unless its the result that may distract.

No, the government is further detached than ever before from the average elector and no avenue for protest seems to have any impact, besides which I'm sure many people have emailed the listed politicians, but those who can influence things either aren't listening, don't care or are too busy looking after their place on the gravy train to do anything. So with ordinary methods of protest proving fruitless or being ignored, it was probably inevitable that somebody would opt for something extraordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BingoMingo

heyjude wrote: »
    What would be the point in emailing them with our thoughts, the opposition TDs are powerless and the government doesn't want to know what the people think, hence their refusal to hold the 3 outstanding by-elections. Does any other government in the world refuse to hold by-elections on the grounds that it will 'distract' the government of the country ? Why should a by-election distract the government, unless its the result that may distract.

No, the government is further detached than ever before from the average elector and no avenue for protest seems to have any impact, besides which I'm sure many people have emailed the listed politicians, but those who can influence things either aren't listening, don't care or are too busy looking after their place on the gravy train to do anything. So with ordinary methods of protest proving fruitless or being ignored, it was probably inevitable that somebody would opt for something extraordinary.

Absolutely excellent idea my friend - gotitbrian . While your at it lets get at another group of people who have totally let us down and who escape blame without a murmer

The MEDIA - RTE,TV3 the newspapers etc., all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Why are there so many guards in the pictures?

It's a cement truck. Arrest the driver, impound the truck and question an onlooker as to what happened.

Simple.

Looks like there must be around 15 or so guards standing around, probably eating ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Good to see that there is swift justice for those that brought the country to its knees protest against the government's handling of the bank bailout.

Cement mixer driver due for court appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mishapk

Apparently rumours persist in Eircom that yesterdays “Cement-Gate” events were sponsored by Vodafone (note the trucks suspiciously red and white livery) in an attempt to distract attention from their launch of the eMobile brand.

It certainly dominated the 6 and 9 O'clock bulletins on RTE so no time was left in the business section to mention the launch.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

dannyhandy wrote: »
    he had the balls to make his point and make his voice be heard
    for which i think he will have the book thrown at him, why was he not bailed, they will make an example of him i.m.o. so as to prevent any thing like this happening in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

benfisher wrote: »
    Liked and trolled.
    He's due in court in the morning by all accounts. Being made an example to us all by the looks of it. If they have any sense they'll give him a rap on the knuckles and let him go, anything more could just infuriate the masses, all the place really needs is a spark to set the place ablaze, it's a very thin line at this stage.

Here's hoping they lock him up, and that the spark is lit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

He was released on his own bond of €200 and on condition that he does not come to the attention of the gardaí.

He is due to come before the court again on November 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rhythm90

I've a feeling this whole thing has provoked 'mixed' reactions...

Shnarf shnarf...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

its a f'n disgrace
    The gardaí will throw the book at Mr Trucky..but they would be better off trying to Extradite that Boll**x David Drumm back from the US.

As for Sean Fitz I hope the DPP will hurry up with his decision soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I don't think that justifies the risk the truck driver took.

WHAT risks? Please clarify.
    Is this a "won't someone please think of the children" moment or what? Where is the risk in driving up to a T-Junction and parking in the confines of the gate, effectively blocking the entrance?
    Or are you being hysterical and sensationalist (just like the RTÉ newsroom) and claiming that this was some sort of attempted truck ram raid?
    If so, where is the damage to the gates? Where is the invoice from the OPW for the repair bill (at twice what anyone in the private sector would charge)...I watched the news last night, I am still to see where this "criminal damage" is that this man has been charged with in court this morning.
    Not one picture. Plenty of talking heads talking about what-ifs, plenty of buzzwords, but no evidence to speak of...
    I'm sure said evidence will be made available in court. either that or the criminal damage charge will be quietly dropped and replaced with public order and/or parking offences.

Rycn wrote: »

Standard response...the boys in blue are on a knife edge simply waiting for the civil unrest which they have been trained to try and thwart. There's a bunch of them stationed in and around Kildare st and when the panic button goes, they're out in force...pity a few of them hadn't gone around the corner two years back whilst the anglo boys were burning out the motors in their document shedders and enforced some actual justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Wertz wrote: »
    WHAT risks? Please clarify.
    Is this a "won't someone please think of the children" moment or what? Where is the risk in driving up to a T-Junction and parking in the confines of the gate, effectively blocking the entrance?
    Or are you being hysterical and sensationalist (just like the RTÉ newsroom) and claiming that this was some sort of attempted truck ram raid?
    If so, where is the damage to the gates? Where is the invoice from the OPW for the repair bill (at twice what anyone in the private sector would charge)...I watched the news last night, I am still to see where this "criminal damage" is that this man has been charged with in court this morning.
    Not one picture. Plenty of talking heads talking about what-ifs, plenty of buzzwords, but no evidence to speak of...
    I'm sure said evidence will be made available in court. either that or the criminal damage charge will be quietly dropped and replaced with public order and/or parking offences.

Alright, you can't see the risks involved in creating a panic button pressing situation, that's fine, but what about the cost this 'developer' created yesterday(the response, the cleanup, the delays?) not to mention what his 'business' career has probably cost us.
    He couldn't give a damm about you and me, he was just trying to avoid paying what he owes Anglo (i.e. US)

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Alright, you can't see the risks involved in creating a panic button pressing situation, that's fine, but what about the cost this 'developer' created yesterday(the response, the cleanup, the delays?) not to mention what his 'business' career has probably cost us.
    He couldn't give a damm about you and me, he was just trying to avoid paying what he owes Anglo (i.e. US)

This incurred cost means f*ck all in the wider scheme of things...there was probably more money spent paying TD's turning up fees yesterday, than the wages involed for the 20 cops and the tow truck and the use of the custody suite in pearse st for 24 hrs.

I don't know much about this guy or what he owes but I know a few small time developers/builders who have been just as hard done by as any one else operating in the economy, unlike the guys in NAMA this man isn't politically connected or hadn't moved in the right circles to enable him access to the 100's of millions and billions of loans that have now gone bad...he'll be persued for his debts and rightly so and he feels hard done by (jelaous?)...
    I'm sure this man's motivation was selfish; you'll find that most people's motivations for doing anything is ultimately selfish. But to pull this crap about him taking risks or being irresponsible is skirting around the real issues.
    If nothing else this man has sparked yet more debate on the wider issues and got some more people thinking....and obviously he's closed the minds of others who think he's just another greedy developer deprived of his house in Marbella, or those who class him as some sort of would-be political assasisn...

If nothing else this man has sparked yet more debate on the wider issues and got some more people thinking..

Wrong, his defenders on here have largely disappeared (probably blushing) because they have 'informed' themselves about who exactly their 'momentary, storm in a teacup, chocolate teapot hero' actually is.

I was talking about debate in the wider community rather than among those on just these forums.
    As for informing myself about who he is, I don't really care...all I know is he's no Jonny Lyons Ronan or Liam Carroll and I still stand by his right to take action, once he's prepared to take the consequences of his actions...he didn't try to kill or injure anyone, he didn't damage any 250 yr old buildings, all things he's been accused of and villified for both on this thread and in the wider media...he made his stand on something he believes in (for whatever selfish reason) and for that at least he has my support...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Rycn wrote: »

It's a cement truck. Arrest the driver, impound the truck and question an onlooker as to what happened.

Simple.

Looks like there must be around 15 or so guards standing around, probably eating ice cream.

A lot of guards work at Leinster house...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

His protest, like Coveneys stunt is already being forgotten.

Still here I see.
    How's the memory?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

afraid your croke park agreement might disappear are we ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

*snores*

...whats that.....cement truck in Dáil Eireann? Sure I only had a couple, it couldn't be me.

I was talking about debate in the wider community rather than among those on just these forums.
    As for informing myself about who he is, I don't really care...all I know is he's no Jonny Lyons Ronan or Liam Carroll and I still stand by his right to take action, once he's prepared to take the consequences of his actions...he didn't try to kill or injure anyone, he didn't damage any 250 yr old buildings, all things he's been accused of and villified for both on this thread and in the wider media...he made his stand on something he believes in (for whatever selfish reason) and for that at least he has my support...

He has the right to do what ever he wants, he does not have automatic right to support though. Only a fool gives carte blanche to every nut job with a gripe.

He has the right to do what ever he wants, he does not have automatic right to support though. Only a fool gives carte blanche to every nut job with a gripe.

I never asked anyone to support him....what I asked for was for someone to point me in the diection of this damage that he has been charged with causing as a criminal and for clarification for exactly what risks he took through his actions.

I'd say only a fool believes half the crap the Irish media feed them especially with regard to such headline incidents where actions are blown out of proportion and perversely actually raise awareness to the actions in question and underlines the actions of said "nut jobs"...thgis is especially true when the story escapes to the international media who take their feeds from such Irish media stories, hence a truck parking violation outside a public building becoming tantamount to an all out civil war-like attack on the Irish democratic system.

hence a truck parking violation outside a public building

and the first responders knew that? This is our Seat Of Parliment not a shed in Kerry. He drove his truck at the gates of the building, and caused minor damage to the paintwork, stopped and climbed onto the top of the truck, who knew what was coming next?
    But of course the the rabble, desperate for a hero, got behind him and exalted him to Irelands greatest person in a few hours, then dropped him like a hot potato....lol
    My opinion is based on the principle of what he did, to allow this kind of behaviour is to invite chaos were people will be hurt and possibly killed, pointlessly. It's called 'society drawing a line'.

[Citation needed it seems]

and the first responders knew that? This is our Seat Of Parliment not a shed in Kerry. He drove his truck at the gates of the building, and caused minor damage to the paintwork, stopped and climbed onto the top of the truck, who knew what was coming next?
    But of course the the rabble, desperate for a hero, got behind him and exalted him to Irelands greatest person in a few hours, then dropped him like a hot potato....lol
    My opinion is based on the principle of what he did, to allow this kind of behaviour is to invite chaos were people will be hurt and possibly killed, pointlessly. It's called 'society drawing a line'.

The first responders aren't at issue here (presumably gardaí on gate patrol and some early rising TDs), the media response is...
    The first responders are expected to assume the worst, take the same action as they would if there was an actual attack: that response isn't in question.
    By the time the media show up (or those passing with a working pair of eyes) it should be immeadiately obvious that this is a publicity stunt of sorts not an all out attack on democracy, but yet over 10 hours later on the national broadcaster, terms like crashed, rammed etc are still being used in the headlines.

There are those of us on here and in general that say fairplay to the man, there are those who say he should have actually crashed it into the buildings, filled the truck with something flammable or explosive or tried to take out some of the cabinet or gone even further...he didn't.
    As I said earlier, i don't care what his personal issue is....the fact is that we as citizens should all have a huge issue with what has gone on and with those in charge of things whilst it was allowed to develop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

The first responders aren't at issue here (presumably gardaí on gate patrol and some early rising TDs), the media response is...
    The first responders are expected to assume the worst, take the same action as they would if there was an actual attack: that response isn't in question.
    By the time the media show up (or those passing with a working pair of eyes) it should be immeadiately obvious that this is a publicity stunt of sorts not an all out attack on democracy, but yet over 10 hours later on the national broadcaster, terms like crashed, rammed etc are still being used in the headlines.

There are those of us on here and in general that say fairplay to the man, there are those who say he should have actually crashed it into the buildings, filled the truck with something flammable or explosive or tried to take out some of the cabinet or gone even further...he didn't.
    As I said earlier, i don't care what his personal issue is....the fact is that we as citizens should all have a huge issue with what has gone on and with those in charge of things whilst it was allowed to develop.

And there are those of us on here who see this as a guy who thought he'd get rich on the backs of poor schmucks who bought houses at vastly inflated prices, didn't get rich, and is now pissed about the whole thing, and looking for someone else to blame, cos it wasn't his fault he got greedy at all at all, sure wasn't everyone doing the same thing and is now thinking if he gets the public behind him, sure won't the bank go away and leave him be. and have no sympathy for him,

...and that's fine. Developers are greedy, we get that.
    He hates the banks and the government for a different reason than the rest of us and acted upon his anger, perhaps looking for sympathy or public support. He's got it from some people (not from me, as I said I don't care about his personal circumstances/issues), what I do care about is how this all looks and how it was hyped up to be so much more than it is, in some attempt to draw sympathy for those who inhabit government buildings.

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ, who is at fault here now ....the media? Sure! lets bring back the IRA, or the InLA or the UDA or Al Queada or whoever,saying as it doesn't matter to you who represents you....'ah sure, doesn't matter they have fireworky things, and fireworky things will do something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement