Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truck incident at Leinster House

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

If you look back at my initial post in the thread, that's exactly who I took issue with, not the guy driving the truck.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68251908&postcount=295

What have paramilitaries got to do with anything? Fireworks? WTF...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Wertz wrote: »

What have paramilitaries got to do with anything? Fireworks? WTF...

About as much as the usual winge about the media. Most of us can interpret what we are being told, it's called common sense.
    A politician engaging in spin and political oppurtunism.....shock horror!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

...and that's fine. Developers are greedy, we get that.
    He hates the banks and the government for a different reason than the rest of us and acted upon his anger, perhaps looking for sympathy or public support. He's got it from some people (not from me, as I said I don't care about his personal circumstances/issues), what I do care about is how this all looks and how it was hyped up to be so much more than it is, in some attempt to draw sympathy for those who inhabit government buildings.

i don't think anyone has sympathy for those who inhabit govt buildings, and nor do i think that anyone should have sympathy.

i just don't think that this guy should be lauded for his behaviour, or supported (NOT SAYING THAT YOU ARE BTW), because if things had gone right for him then he'd be living the high life and laughing all the way to his money stuffed mattress.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    About as much as the usual winge about the media. Most of us can interpret what we are being told, it's called common sense.
    A politician engaging in spin and political oppurtunism.....shock horror!:rolleyes:

It's not about us locals interpretting it, it's about when nonsense overblown domestic stories make it out on to world media (like the Cowen hangover the other week) and further damage what little is left of our international reputation (lol) and what that can ultimately mean for the country, for investment, for foreign lenders looking on.
    You start emblazoning truck ram raids, dail being stormed (month or so back, Sky) or drunken leader on rolling news and you bury us even deeper in the mire. RTÉ don't seem to get that...they're too busy with drumming up sympathy for those poor TDs and gardaí who were almost killed by someone parking a lorry to look at the bigger picture: how we as a nation are perceived abroad.

As for common sense? I find it in very short supply these days, nevermind what is lost in translation for foreign media outlets.

Finally what did O'Dowd have to gain by starting chinese whsipers? (I could understand a FFer looking for public symptahy)
    Anyone with any common sense would have seen it for what it was and played it down as a publicity stunt, not some failed coup de tat/attempted murder.

Do you not agree, however, that Cowen turning up drunk, hungover, hoarse, suffering the sniffles, (pick whichever is appropriate) was unprofessional? Say what you may about Bertie, Charlie H, Enda, or Eamon that they WOULDNT have allowed themselves be put in that position?

And our international reputation, such as it is, needs all the help it can get. Cowen turning up like that isn't going to help and it WAS newsworthy, from a point of view of the Taoiseach being unprofessional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭google faps

gatecrash wrote: »
    Do you not agree, however, that Cowen turning up drunk, hungover, hoarse, suffering the sniffles, (pick whichever is appropriate) was unprofessional? Say what you may about Bertie, Charlie H, Enda, or Eamon that they WOULDNT have allowed themselves be put in that position?

And our international reputation, such as it is, needs all the help it can get. Cowen turning up like that isn't going to help and it WAS newsworthy, from a point of view of the Taoiseach being unprofessional.
    Nobody that counts care whether Cowen was any of the above.
    The problems are financial. that's what investors care about.

Nobody that counts care whether Cowen was any of the above.
    The problems are financial. that's what investors care about.

I was replying to Wertz' assertion that Cowen's incident wasn't newsworthy from an international point of view...... he's the friggin leader of the country, and to allow himself be put in that position was stupid, and unprofessional, and other international leaders would have heard the interview and thought what a buffoon

By investors i hope you mean taxpayers, cos at the moment all of us are investors in Ireland. And AIB. And Anglo. And BOI. And NAMA. and a truck load of others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

RTE news after the ad break they are currently on have the footage of the truck incident!!! :eek:

Tune in

No, no, I agree that Cowen turning up like that (whether he was provably drunk or not) was completely unprofesional both on his part and on that of the party handlers that let him on the air in such a state. If he'd been a normal Joe Soap pulled in at a checkpoint, any cop worth his badge would at least have breathalysed him on the strength of his demeanour that morning...except this guy was in charge of a country not a car.

Highlighting it in the media was inevitable in the days of the internet as was it's going global as a story. I think the further denial of any drinking issue by the spin doctors did even more damage than Cowen simply coming out and saying he'd had too many brandies, sorry about that.
    That wasn't the fault of the media per se, it was Cowen/FF's fault...people who should know better about how high the stakes are when it comes to perception abroad...

Should someone in RTÉ have just pulled the plug on the interview? Not if they wish to remain somewhat credible and neutral. I'm sure if it had been recorded, it wouldn't have made it to air in the form it did...

As for our international reputation, having just watched a long piece on Ch4 news about our bank woes, that rep is shot...no amount of cement trucks or hangovers can make it any worse.

SeaFields wrote: »
    RTE news after the ad break they are currently on have the footage of the truck incident!!! :eek:

Tune in

lol...looked and sounded to me that he hit something a fair old whack....totally reckless way to approach, had he or a Guard fallen from the rig after, it would have been a totally different story. Anyway I'm sure the court have that evidence to review.

• Advertisement

available online?

It's not about us locals interpretting it, it's about when nonsense overblown domestic stories make it out on to world media (like the Cowen hangover the other week) and further damage what little is left of our international reputation (lol) and what that can ultimately mean for the country, for investment, for foreign lenders looking on.
    You start emblazoning truck ram raids, dail being stormed (month or so back, Sky) or drunken leader on rolling news and you bury us even deeper in the mire. RTÉ don't seem to get that...they're too busy with drumming up sympathy for those poor TDs and gardaí who were almost killed by someone parking a lorry to look at the bigger picture: how we as a nation are perceived abroad.

As for common sense? I find it in very short supply these days, nevermind what is lost in translation for foreign media outlets.

Finally what did O'Dowd have to gain by starting chinese whsipers? (I could understand a FFer looking for public symptahy)
    Anyone with any common sense would have seen it for what it was and played it down as a publicity stunt, not some failed coup de tat/attempted murder.

Well the first thing to do is stop exagerating yourself. I don't know where you get your news from but the news I heard when I got up was that a truck had 'crashed' into the Dail. The story was downgraded in seriousness as the morning went on. At no point was it represented as attempted murder/coup de tat

available online?

On the RTE player I would reckon....it'll be on News later at 9 I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So do people who were around here declaring this man a national hero still think he is knowing that he owes us, via the banks, several million euro ?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

Joseph McNamara was a partner in Harrmack Developments which among other things paid €18,800,000 for some land in Clare in 2005.

This man is not a hero.

I think if you do your reseach that joe was not involved in that deal ,
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I didn't see any Garda dive out of the way as per Fergus O'Dowd's comments. He didn't hit the gates hard either - it was more of an attempt to get as close as possible imo. Fierce exaggeration on this story yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

its an awful pity the truck wasn't stuffed with semtex .. its more of this type of action we will see on our streets, and its the people who blindly vote for these crooks that bear responsibility for it..

and the negativity that drives people with vision and skill away from politics.

we all know people in our local communities who help support these crooks, lots of local action can help to shake this beast , its gonna be a long winter but for some it may well be a dangerous winter...

charlemont wrote: »
    its an awful pity the truck wasn't stuffed with semtex .. its more of this type of action we will see on our streets, and its the people who blindly vote for these crooks that bear responsibility for it..

Remind me to skip you for the marketing job in the brave new world.

'hhhmmmmm how to attract people into politics,....I know.... blow up the last lot?....... 'Brilliant Jasper, have a cappuchino!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Charlemont, you do realise your hero owes millions don't you ? And how stupid is it to advocate the blowing up of a building owned by us, not the banks, developers or ff ?

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Well the first thing to do is stop exagerating yourself. I don't know where you get your news from but the news I heard when I got up was that a truck had 'crashed' into the Dail. The story was downgraded in seriousness as the morning went on. At no point was it represented as attempted murder/coup de tat

Yes but I'm not a journalist and this isn't the news, so exaggeration is used to embolden my point.
    I get my news the same place everyone gets it: from as many sources as possible. Initial reports I didn't hear, but by the time it was all over the radio stations and social/net media late in the morning and into the afternoon/evening, nothing was downplayed. My initial post in this thread was about 3pm...a full 8 hrs after the incident but they were still saying crashed/rammed and any politician interviewed claimed people could have been killed etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I heard Fionnan Sheehan last night on Vinny Brown having a go at Dave mcWilliams about not having too much sympathy for him because he nearly knocked down a guard.I like the guy, but he did not have his facts right on that .When Mcwilliams told him he was been po faced, OUCH!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

I would like to shake the man by the hand, and buy him a pint.
    Toxic Anglo Irish Bank is going to cost this country around 30 billion Euro to wind down.
    Cuts to the HSE are going to pay for it by reducing the budget deficit.
    The budget deficit will be 25% of GDP because of this. The EU limit for budget deficit is 3% of GDP. Brian Cowen should be asking the IMF for assistance now, before Ireland's economy collapses like Iceland's did.
    I would like to see more protests like this one nationally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

jimmyw wrote: »
    I heard Fionnan Sheehan last night on Vinny Brown having a go at Dave mcWilliams about not having too much sympathy for him because he nearly knocked down a guard.I like the guy, but he did not have his facts right on that .When Mcwilliams told him he was been po faced, OUCH!!.

Fionnan Sheehan = overpaid commentating masterbater

pity he hadn't been standing in the way ,,,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

Its amazing how most of the people here don't see the bigger picture. It wasn't the dail. IT WAS THE GATE OF THE DAIL that he rammed with the vichicle NOT THE DAIL ITSELF, THE GATE. Actions speak louder than words. He must of been trying to make a point so the government will look in to the situation and circumstances he is in and many people are in now who are struggling to get by. Im surprised there isn't more people losing their mind. Why are alot of people here not seeing the obvious and just critising and judging others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Did the government run up his €3m plus debt?

A classic case of a grown man failing to take responsibility for his own actions. I can understand his frustration but he has no but himself for his predicament.

In addition he'll probably end up with a criminal record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

orourkeda wrote: »
    A classic case of a grown man failing to take responsibility for his own actions. I can understand his frustration but he has no but himself for his predicament.

could say the same for thousands of present defaulting mortgage holders orourkeda bud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

sligopark wrote: »
    could say the same for thousands of present defaulting mortgage holders orourkeda bud

I'm talking about him not defaulting mortgage holders. Thats another days work and is a completely separate issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In addition he'll probably end up with a criminal record.

It's worse than others running up debts buyign their homes. This guy is one of the developers everyone one likes to refer to in unison with FF and the banks as the reason the country is ****ed. How easy it is to turn the eejits back to your side , Just wreck some stuff.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

No, but..... the bankers........ and um......yeah.

As you said, classic example of someone blaming someone else for his own fecklessness. We really have become a nation of irresponsible babies. It's always someone elses fault when we do something stupid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement