Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truck incident at Leinster House

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I bought to "settle" and had no illusions about "increasing my worth" in that way - I wanted a home.

So am I entitled to object ?

I never said people shouldn't object.. my point was that the blame doesn't lie solely with the evil politicians, bankers & developers. We were all part of the system that allowed things to get to this stage.. some were more intrinsic than others though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

MySelf56 wrote: »
    so wat is solution? So callee repairing cost are penuts, when u compare with 90bn anglo plus nama.where were you when this happened. The bank reckless lending cost will be paid yor ma, me ma n our kids.

Well you're hardly going to get a magic solution to all this country's problems from one poster on boards.ie, but what this guy did is clearly not it. And it's not helping, either. The question should be... what can we do to help? How about stopping all this 'pity he didn't run over a few TDs', 'the Govt has no mandate' or 'we need an election NOW' BS and instead try to come up with actual suggestions to what the Government should do.

Voting in Fine Gael or (God forbid) Labour to run our country in the next election isn't going to turn back time and suddenly have all our problems evaporate. We'll still be in exactly the same mess, and whoever is in charge after the election will have to make the same tough decisions that Brian Lenihan and the rest of the party are trying to make now. How about we say what we are FOR instead of just blanketly knocking every idea the current Government comes up with? Or else once the next election is over and a new Government is in place, the whole country will be in a state of "What now...?" with no ideas while our economy continues to plunge. Whoever is in the next Government will not be able to make popular decisions. We all have to get used to that fact now. There is no popular solution to the mess that we are in.
    What exactly has he been arrested for if no one was injured and no damage was done?
    scargill wrote: »
    if he injured anyone or wrecked the gates of Leinster House I would call him an idiot. But he didn't

According to RTE, damage was caused to the gates:
    Some damage was caused to the gates.

The man is being questioned at Pearse Street Garda Station on suspicion of causing criminal damage.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0929/dailprotest.html

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Adamisconfused

Mark200 wrote: »
    The question should be... what can we do to help? How about stopping all this 'pity he didn't run over a few TDs', 'the Govt has no mandate' or 'we need an election NOW' BS and instead try to come up with actual suggestions to what the Government should do.

Get out of office now and never return.....ever.

Ever.

Get out of office now and never return.....ever.

Great, and then what?

Great, and then what?

Then they won't be doing any damage. Even if nothing else was done, it'd be a major improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

So we moan when nobody does anything and we moan when somebody does something..........................

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Highly Salami

opinion seems to be 'hardening' against the 'mortar' attack on the the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Today the entire Spanish nation are going on national strike, 100,000 protesters are expected to converge on the European parliament in Brussels and in Ireland?....

Oh dear.

Careful now. Down with that sort of thing.

Shure there's a general election in 2012, we'll tell them what we think of them then, in the meantime there's Joe Duffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

It's not just the banks fault.. what about all the muppets buying homes they couldn't afford? Yes, the banks should have been stricter about how they decided if someone qualified for a mortgage, but people should have had some cop on too. It's always someone elses fault though

It is the banks fault because as you've out lined so perfectly why wernt these stricter guidelines made.... :rolleyes:

granted we can blame a lot of people but its hardly my fault i dont own anything have no dept yet were all going to get fuct up the ass because of anglo irish? why are they keeping it going? what benafit has pumping 23 million got ?

oh id like to point out that you all happily say yeah there should be more action taken against the governement were are all you going to be this after noon ???

On boards.

Its sickening to read your "quiffy" remarks about the subject when the other 90% of the time you all agree with that something should be done..

People out there are doing things raseign there voice and all YOU sit ideally bye and chin stroke your arguments....

Take a look at your self collective of 300+ people who could be out there doing something more constructive then talking about it on a forum...

Its sad. :rolleyes:

What about whjen beggins organised a protest at crumlin childrens hospital manmy people went yet to this you just turn a blind eye its sickening this is our country our futures your childrens futures and your all sitting ideally bye yeah thats smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Originally Posted by My name is URL
    It's not just the banks fault.. what about all the muppets buying homes they couldn't afford? Yes, the banks should have been stricter about how they decided if someone qualified for a mortgage, but people should have had some cop on too. It's always someone elses fault though
    Bambi wrote: »
    Our politicians were very happy to encourage a situation in this country where the only tenable long term option for living is to buy your home.

In fairness the politicians (both government and opposition) could have caused more damage if they had talked down the boom( i.e. major panic-> run on the bank-> rioting on the streets )

One of the only politicians I remember speaking out about the collective madness of the property bubble was Noel Ahern(Berties Brother) back when he was minister for housing talking about 100% mortgages(wonder why we haven't heard anything from him since???;))

even the likes of Joe Higgins were saying sfa about the boom because in general it was a feel good story for all those already on the property ladder.. only people who weren't on the ladder (myself included) were interested in hearing the other side of the discussion (on sites such as askaboutmoney, thepropertypin and boards) - i.e. the opposite to the cheer-leading taking place in the mainstream media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Today the entire Spanish nation are going on national strike

I'm interested to know how will they protest during their siesta :D

Then they won't be doing any damage. Even if nothing else was done, it'd be a major improvement.

So no solutions from you. Anyone else?
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    So we moan when nobody does anything and we moan when somebody does something..........................

The point is that parking a truck at the gates/driving a truck into them/whatever isn't doing anything. It achieves nothing. Let me know when something constructive is done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

What would the alternative to NAMA be? To leave billions and billions of debt to evaporate.. the ECB or IMF would be in Ireland by now if NAMA was not in place.

What I'm talking about is this notion going around the country that it was everybody's fault the economy imploded. People weren't going to rent forever, they had families and they saw prices just going up and up. If you wanted a house, you were going to have to pay big time and many thought that they had to go for it and get a house before the prices went even further.

That said, for all those thousands of people whose mortgages are now in arrears, they aren't crippling the economy. Developers and bankers have crippled the economy, NAMA was made for them. Ordinary people got into questionable practices with regards to 100% mortgages for sure, but my grandchildren aren't going to be paying for that in 50 years time.

And the ECB is in Ireland already, it's propping up the government, sure whose buying the bonds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Let me know when something constructive is done.

What would you do then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I never said people shouldn't object.. my point was that the blame doesn't lie solely with the evil politicians, bankers & developers. We were all part of the system that allowed things to get to this stage.. some were more intrinsic than others though

And if blame / accountability / responsibility were allocated according to the level of intrinsic involvement, everyone would have to accept that.

But as someone who :

1) Didn't overspend
    2) Didn't buy into the sickening "property ladder" phrase
    3) Didn't vote FF
    4) Despaired when both parents worked 40 and 50 hour weeks with long commutes, effectively abandoning their families

.....why the HELL should I have to pay ?

It's the equivalent of "you were in the building when the murders took place, so we're charging you with something or other and you'll be paying the price for the rest of your life".

Absolutely sickening.

What would you do then?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68249048&postcount=213

But no doubt many people were thinking.... "You know what would help? Parking a truck outside Leinster House!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The point is that parking a truck at the gates/driving a truck into them/whatever isn't doing anything. It achieves nothing. Let me know when something constructive is done.

Radical things like this will spur more people into doing greater things, I'm sure they told Rosa Parks the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Mister men wrote: »
    Not to worry you beat him to it a couple of pages back.
    link?

Fianna Fáil caused the majority of the mess and I don't trust them to fix anything just in case they decide to cover up all their own petty corruption.

Do you want me to suggest that we default on our debt? Do you think it's smart to be borrowing at close to 7%. Our bonds are heading for junk status and we simply won't be able to borrow for much longer.
    All the while, FF have failed to address the deficit in any significant way. They have failed to tackle the waste in Fás or the HSE. They have failed to disband all their quangos which give the useless friends of FF a job. FF have kept a useless bank, Anglo, operating when it should have been let go to the wall years ago. How about this week we don't pour another four billion or whatever the sum will be, into the bank
    The facts remain that FF have done nothing to improve our situation. We've been carrying on like a zombie for the last two years and nothing has changed. No corners turned. No moving forward. Nothing except borrowing money we can't afford to pay back. A twenty billion deficit which should have been tackled.

What do you want suggested? Start a new thread instead of taking this off on a tangent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Radical things like this will spur more people into doing greater things, I'm sure they told Rosa Parks the same thing.

Rosa Parks couldn't drive.
    That's why she was on the bus in the first place.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

OisinT wrote: »
    I hope they send the driver to jail for a long time.
    As requested.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Gary4279 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the cop behind the garda car on the right is doing the nazi goose step? the irony.

Yay!

Godwin boom :pac:

Mister men wrote: »
    As requested.:rolleyes:
    You are quoting me out of context. I clearly was saying that if, indeed, there was a Garda injured or a Garda had to jump out of the way, then I believe that he should be prosecuted and I hope he gets jail for his stunt.

What's so "ignorant" about that prey tell?

By the way injuring or attempting to injure a member of AGS is a very serious offence, as it should be. If it's ignorant to believe that it is disgusting to attempt to harm someone to make some silly little point / publicity stunt, then I'll gladly be "ignorant"

Yes but the thing is, the current Government aren't limiting our civil rights by being discriminatory in where people are allowed to park.

Fianna Fáil caused the majority of the mess and I don't trust them to fix anything just in case they decide to cover up all their own petty corruption.

Do you want me to suggest that we default on our debt? Do you think it's smart to be borrowing at close to 7%. Our bonds are heading for junk status and we simply won't be able to borrow for much longer.
    All the while, FF have failed to address the deficit in any significant way. They have failed to tackle the waste in Fás or the HSE. They have failed to disband all their quangos which give the useless friends of FF a job. FF have kept a useless bank, Anglo, operating when it should have been let go to the wall years ago. How about this week we don't pour another four billion or whatever the sum will be, into the bank
    The facts remain that FF have done nothing to improve our situation. We've been carrying on like a zombie for the last two years and nothing has changed. No corners turned. No moving forward. Nothing except borrowing money we can't afford to pay back. A twenty billion deficit which should have been tackled.

What do you want suggested? Start a new thread instead of taking this off on a tangent.

There's no debate over the fact that Fianna Fail allowed the property bubble to expand and burst. I doubt any of them enjoy keeping Anglo alive, but the question has to be asked... what would the consequences have been if it was shut down? They would have been very serious.

And your sentence about the deficit where you say:

"All the while, FF have failed to address the deficit in any significant way. "

Whenever they do suggest making cuts, anyone it effects hit the street in protest! People complain that they aren't doing anything, yet every time they do do something people cry when they're the ones that will be effected by any cuts. As I said, there is no popular solution. There are going to be a huge amount of people unhappy with any cuts that are made... but cuts are what's necessary. And cuts are what they're going to do in the next budget... €3bn worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BingoMingo

gizmo wrote: »
    Seriously, what the **** is wrong with you people? Fair play to him? What kind of ****ing simpleton thinks this was a good idea and will accomplish anything constructive? :rolleyes:

Resorting to mindless violence is never a good idea. I wonder if this guy has formulated a thorough understanding of the issues surrounding the banking crisis by a critical examination of the issues or has he swallowed some of the rhetoric that is being peddled by so many experts/politicians who continue to push lies about it to push forward their own agendas.

Put simply,

If you believe that the Goverment have purposefully and unnescessarily ploughed money into the banks whilst allowing old age pensions and dole payments to be cut, people to languish on trollies in our hospitals etc., etc., then you must conclude that they are inherently evil people and extreme action is the only way to deal with them. After all, the heroes of 1916 rose up against a regime that did a hell of a lot less evil than this.

I don't believe this rubbish but I think it is dangerous and irresponsible for politicians, economists and so called experts to constantly tout these notions unless they want to incite revolution.

BingoMingo wrote: »
    Resorting to mindless violence is never a good idea. I wonder if this guy has formulated a thorough understanding of the issues surrounding the banking crisis by a critical examination of the issues or has he swallowed some of the rhetoric that is being peddled by so many experts/politicians who continue to push lies about it to push forward their own agendas.

Put simply,

If you believe that the Goverment have purposefully and unnescessarily ploughed money into the banks whilst allowing old age pensions and dole payments to be cut, people to languish on trollies in our hospitals etc., etc., then you must conclude that they are inherently evil people and extreme action is the only way to deal with them. After all, the heroes of 1916 rose up against a regime that did a hell of a lot less evil than this.

I don't believe this rubbish but I think it is dangerous and irresponsible for politicians, economists and so called experts to constantly tout these notions unless they want to incite revolution.
    A well thought out and written response. You won't last 5 minutes in AH :D

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

BingoMingo wrote: »
    Resorting to mindless violence..........

Parking a truck in front of the dail? Mindless Violence?

Bar that you've good points.

No harm was done and it's gotten people talking

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Parking a truck in front of the dail? Mindless Violence?

Bar that you've good points.

No harm was done and it's gotten people talking
    The brake lines were cut on the truck AFAIK... if pedestrians had been there, who knows how many people could have been killed and/or injured.

I'd be very surprised if criminal action is not taken against this man based on the news reports of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

The brake lines were cut on the truck AFAIK... if pedestrians had been there, who knows how many people could have been killed and/or injured.

I'd be very surprised if criminal action is not taken against this man based on the news reports of the event.

Link about the brake lines?

Edit: Found
    Recovery crews initially attempted to reverse the truck from the gates but it would not move. It is understood brake lines and electric cables had been cut.

That's actually dangerous, yeah. Still not mindless violence though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Cut after he parked the truck - how else do you think he managed to stop a 26000lb vehicle?

The lines were cut to stop it being moved.

wont somebody think of the children!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement