Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truck incident at Leinster House

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Joe Duffy on about it now. He's sure to get the true story ;):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

There was a problem with Anglo Irish Bank.

Tough shit.

It wasn't a problem for the Irish taxpayer.

Not until FF and the Greens fucked up. :mad:

The next election can't come soon enough, hence Biffo & Co. running scared on the by-elections. Democracy me hole. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Link about the brake lines?

Heard it on the news on the radio this morning in the car... I'll have a look now though
    bad2dabone wrote: »
    Cut after he parked the truck - how else do you think he managed to stop a 26000lb vehicle?

The lines were cut to stop it being moved.

wont somebody think of the children!

By the sounds of it, the truck stopped after hitting the gates, he jumped out of the sunroof thing and down the plank over the top.
    Not sure where the brake line is in those things, but doubtful it's accessible in the cabin?

Regardless of this, he used his vehicle as a weapon or attempted to use it as a weapon. This stunt was dangerous no matter how you slice it and was excessive for the publicity stunt he was trying to create.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

OisinT wrote: »
    The brake lines were cut on the truck AFAIK... if pedestrians had been there, who knows how many people could have been killed and/or injured.

I'd be very surprised if criminal action is not taken against this man based on the news reports of the event.

I can well imagine criminal action will be taken, but after all the trouble he's gone to painting the truck etc , I'd say he knew in advance and doubtful he cares.

I'd be 99,9% sure he cut the brake lines AFTER he stopped the truck right outside the dail.

I highly doubt he would drive with no brake lines towards a building. (I could be wrong)
    From the pictures it looks like he wanted it parked right at the entrance to make his point.

It's nothing more than a stunt to get people talking - which is working.

Like it or hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    I'd be 99,9% sure he cut the brake lines AFTER he stopped the truck right outside the dail.

yes I think the lines were cut after it stopped. I came across the incident as I was driving to work.

There were gaurds jumping down off the back of the truck (between the driver cabin and the big cememt mixed) so I think they would only be doing that if something had happened after the truck had stopped. I would guess the driver jumped out of the cabin and cut the lines from behind the cabin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Highly Salami

Like it or hate it.

like it!

By the sounds of it, the truck stopped after hitting the gates, he jumped out of the sunroof thing and down the plank over the top..

With all due respect, where are you getting your information?

http://www.newstalk.ie/news/dail-rammed-by-truck/
    "The 41-year-old male stopped short of hitting the gates and proceeded to stand on top of the truck."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭mumfordandsons

Fair play i say. it;s a sign of times i guess and how pissed off people are at way things going. he could write a letter , but who would care and it wont get the media coverage.

Fat cat bankers , and Politicians have ruined this country, seems to me most of us just take it.

love to do something myself . a disgrace .

bertie and cowen and rest put them on boat and say good luck ..
    then blow up the boat ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

"The 41-year-old male stopped short of hitting the gates and proceeded to stand on top of the truck."

There are a couple of different reports about this, actually, the Irish times says it caused minor damage to the gate.

I don't think it did, but I'd like to know one way or the other.

On the TD saying a guard had to jump out of the way, I don't believe any TD at the moment. I wouldn't believe me if they told me it was raining and I was in the middle of a downpour. It's in a TDs interest to make this sort of thing seem like it's dangerous and an affront (regardless of whether it was or not) because they don't want anyone else doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Adamisconfused

Mark200 wrote: »
    Whenever they do suggest making cuts, anyone it effects hit the street in protest! People complain that they aren't doing anything, yet every time they do do something people cry when they're the ones that will be effected by any cuts. As I said, there is no popular solution. There are going to be a huge amount of people unhappy with any cuts that are made... but cuts are what's necessary. And cuts are what they're going to do in the next budget... €3bn worth.

Well, facts are facts and people have to accept cuts. I agree that no other party in government will mean happy times. Absolutely not and people would have to be delusional to think otherwise. Massive trauma is coming and we've only felt some of it so far, but the current government has had time to address the FÁS issue, healthcare, quangos as I already mentioned and it hasn't happened yet. They made mistakes in the banks and I think it's time to let someone else in. It's as simple as that.

The government can't borrow twenty billion a year and we won't be able to squeeze much more from the taxpayer. Trouble is here and it's bigger brother is coming and I don't know why FF even wants to be in power right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

my tanker, where do i park it.

RTÉ news on the radio this morning. Probably around 10am I think.

The Associated Press article on the incident - we're making global headlines again :D....

Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

Poly wrote: »
    Way too early for cowen, he's just headin for his breakfast roll.

No, his breakfast pint of Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

It's not just the banks fault.. what about all the muppets buying homes they couldn't afford? Yes, the banks should have been stricter about how they decided if someone qualified for a mortgage, but people should have had some cop on too. It's always someone elses fault though

Spot on, serves some people right for using 50% or more of their incomes to buy a house, with the thought that it will be worth millions in 5 years.

Absolutely serves them right.

Kersh wrote: »
    Spot on, serves some people right for using 50% or more of their incomes to buy a house, with the thought that it will be worth millions in 5 years.

how stupid are you. people had to pay the prices as they were highly inflated due to fact that goverment and banks were making hugh profits,
    people had no choice but to buy if they wanted to own their home.

you work in bank or goverment , me thinks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Kersh wrote: »

aye I see your point, but mortgage debt isn't what's ****ed the country, it was lending millions to builders to buy the odd field in athlone, or this http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1018415.shtml type of lending that's put us all in the ****.

The mortgage debt sht1tstorm is yet to hit the fan lads :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭rednik

RTE will have to add another person to their Irelands greatest person poll.

how stupid are you. people had to pay the prices as they were highly inflated due to fact that goverment and banks were making hugh profits,

Oh you mean other than buy a cheaper home? Or rent until you can afford like they do on the Continent?

• Advertisement

They didn't *have* to pay those prices, technically if no one was paying them, prices would have dropped. People wanted on the money train.

The problem was the media, the government, and the banks were cheering on the property bubble. It was a big incestuous orgy, and very little good comes from incest.

Oh you mean other than buy a cheaper home? Or rent until you can afford like they do on the Continent?

People couldn't afford cheaper homes. The affordable housing market was giving affordable houses to people with twice the avge. industrial wage.

iam talking about average person mate.
    where were cheaper homes, ?????

are u for real.

for record i never brought myself but do feel sorry those who did. :D

snakeblood (The affordable housing market was giving affordable houses to people with twice the avge. industrial wage.)

generally speaking -- i dont thinks so.
    personnal know this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just got up, well done to the man, pity more people dont get out and protest in this country but give it time, wait until the I.M.F getes here then we will see protests.

iam talking about average person mate.
    where were cheaper homes, ?????

are u for real.

for record i never brought myself but do feel sorry those who did. :D

snakeblood (The affordable housing market was giving affordable houses to people with twice the avge. industrial wage.)

personnal know this.
    Oh I'm for real. What do you think people in Paris and other cities do? They rent until they can afford or else they buy a small cheap house outside the city and commute in.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Around 1,500 people have taken part in demonstrations outside Leinster House to coincide with the start of the new policital term.

Members of various organisations, trade unions and community groups protested on Kildare Street - in opposition to bank bailouts and Budget cuts.

The Irish Organisation of the Unemployed formed a symbolic dole queue to highlight the number of people on the Live Register.

Meanwhile ICTU President Jack O'Connor is accusing the Government of deliberately allowing the unemployment crisis to escalate in order to drive down wage costs.

Hundreds of people were also attending trade union rallies in Belfast and Derry against spending cuts.

ICTU assistant general secretary Peter Bunting told crowds in Belfast that the burden of the crisis should not be loaded on the poor.
    Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/several-demonstrations-take-place-outside-leinster-house-475607.html#ixzz10vQTwmtZ

There's a rake of protests today. Not just one chap with a truck.

i

personnal know this.

You're wrong though.

From their website:
    If you are 2 people: You must have earned less than €75,000 together in total during the previous tax year.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/housing/Pages/Housing.aspx

Average industrial wage 09
    http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1015830.shtml

Just got up...

You lazy b@stard! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

@ Mumfordand sons - Anyone who stood on the lawn of a semi-d house in suburbia and paid 600-700k for it and thought it was worth that is a complete looper and deserves their negative equity.

For the record, I almost did, but backed out at the last, cos I didnt think the house (albeit out in the country) was worth 400k. I was smart. And so it proves - the same houses are up fpr 179k and not selling.

I dont work for the government, or bank or anything like that. I just didnt get caught up in the whole property thing.

In fact I spent my deposit money on a classic car for £22k and its now appreciating nicely to the tune so far of double my money.

I have rented for years, and was told it was dead money.... by the very same ppl now living in 300k houses with a 600k mortgage - now you tell me which is dead money :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Snakeblood wrote: »

That's the craziest statement I've heard. rarely been paid that much as a qualified engineer. You sure you're in the right country?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement