Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craigslist USA - Accomodation

Options
  • 29-09-2010 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi,

Does anybody know about the prices shown on craigslist for apartments and houses.

For example if an add says $1500 / 1Br, does this mean it costs $1500 per month or $1500 per week.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Usually it's per month, unless othewrise specified.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thezapper

Yeah, I've found a couple of places off Craigslist and the price is always per month unless (in rare cases) it says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Remember flats and houses come unfurnished. Except for stove and fridge.

If you want furnished look under "vacation rentals". or search on "furnished", they're rare and pretty ratty usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Per month would be the standard. Just be careful if you wander into "vacation rental" territory (don't know what kind of accom you're looking for) as they can get into the thousands per week depending where they are. Should be specified though.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

If you are moving in with someone (just looking for a room) ask them in the email/call if there is ANY furniture in the room as often times there actually will be something. I got mine on CL and she hadnt said there was furniture as she assume the person would bring their own. But then she moved a bed, drawers and chair in from storage for me! So you can be lucky!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 greenbrain

I am researching about moving to the u.s.a in January 2011.

I was looking at both Houston in Texas and Manhattan in nyc on Craigslist and there is a vast difference in the price of accomodation.

Hence my question regarding price.

Thanks for your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

There is a huge difference in the cost of living between those two cities. This link tells you that $100,000 in NYC is equivalent to $54,616 in Houston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 greenbrain

Ya a lot cheaper!! Would probably have to invest in a car if I go to Houston though.

whats houston like job-wise btw?? i've read good things and bad about it, finding it hard to guage at the moment.

just qualified as a civil engineer.

a company called goforless.ie have a programme where you can go over an sort out a 1 year job without having sponsorship arranged beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thezapper

I moved back to Ireland from Houston in March this year and I have to say my experience of the place was not good. I really did not like Houston at all. Given the choice I would STRONGLY recommend you go to NYC irrespective of the fact that it is more expensive (and it is much more expensive). A car is an absolute necessity in Houston. The public transport is useless and the city is so spread out you need a car to get anywhere.

Perhaps lonestargirl has a different perspective on the city but I did not like it there. Before I lived in Houston I had lived in Chicago, which I loved. Completely different kind of city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

greenbrain wrote: »
    I was looking at both Houston in Texas and Manhattan in nyc on Craigslist and there is a vast difference in the price of accomodation.

LOL!!

Yup, there's a difference all right. Manhatten is right up there with some of the most expensive property prices in the world and Houston is cheap.

Because nobody wants to be in Houston unless they really have to. Some of those newer western cities are very souless places, small empty city centres and endless suburbs together with little public transport mean everyone lives in their cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

It does depend on what you are into too. Both me and my husband are in medical fields and the Texas Medical Centre is pretty amazing. I'm in the no1 PhD program in my field in the US and he is in a great surgery residency. Neither of these positions pay very well though, I would love to live in Manhattan but my quality of live wouldn't be great. Here we own a house that gives us a 10-15 minute commute - pretty important when you've just worked 30 hours straight. The area we live in (Montrose/Neartown) is great, we can walk to bars, restaurants, cool clothes shops etc. Suburban Houston is pretty soulless, you couldn't pay me to live in Katy, Sugarland, Pearland etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Just FYI, for the 1 year visa you're looking at from go4less.ie (IWT) you have to be a student or a recent grad (within 1 year from graduating) to qualify.

Advertisement