Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sort of seperation anxiety

Options
  • 29-09-2010 9:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice on my Springer.
    Whenever I leave a room he follows me. If I close the door behind me he will cry and bark until I come back in for him. He does this even if the rest of the family are in the room. Unless he is absolutely knackered and in his bed he HAS to come with me if I leave the room.

He is fine if I leave the house and fine when I go to bed but he just can't bear me to be anywhere in the house without him (he even sits outside the bathroom door when I have a shower)

Has anyone any advice on how I resolve this? It means he can never relax fully as he seems to be always aware of where I am and hops up to follow me if I move.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

I'd like some advice on this too. My collie does the exact same thing. He tries to follow me into the toilet etc (obviously I dont let him in) but he waits outside for me. It seems once he has me in sight he is ok otherwise if he cant see me he will come find me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My fella did that for the first year I had him, even as a tiny pup he'd follow me everywhere and cry if he couldn't see me. Mine however did cry when I was out, not barking or howling, just quiet whining and drooling. That was definitely seperation anxiety. I solved that problem by getting him a little friend.
    Now I have 2 dogs that follow me around, sit outside bathroom door, etc.
    But it isn't a frantic where are you, more a nosey, what are you doing now? type thing.
    Its getting better as he gets older(just over 2 years now), how old is your dog?
    They even lie in doorways when I mop floors or hoover:o, we call them the foremen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My guy is 8 in December but I've only had him for a year, he's a rescue.

He had a pretty horrific time before we got him, he was locked away on his own constantly so he never had any company. He is utterly devoted to me and pretty much ignores the rest of the family unless they are giving him food :D
    I have 3 other dogs, my dad, my daughter and a parrot so there's plenty of company for him but it's like no one else exists except me.

It's not a problem for me having him follow me I would just like him to be able to relax more and not be constantly worrying about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I have this problem too! I have two dogs - both rescues. The first one, Millie, is ok and doesn't really mind if I leave the room but Max. who I've has for seven weeks, howls and cries as soon as I leave the room. I am not sure whether to go straight back into him for fear that this will just encourage him to continue this every time I go, or leave him to settle down on his own with Millie. I am very soft and hate to hear him crying so I usually give into to him:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem :D

I never know whether to leave him bark and cry or go back and bring him with me. I usually go back for him if I'm going to spend a bit of time out of the room as it's not fair on everyone else to have to listen to him.

He does it in the morning as well to let me know he's awake and therefore it's time for me to get up, this is usually sometime beyween 6 and 7. God I miss lie ins :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement