Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Safes

Options
  • 29-09-2010 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

Is it mandatory to have a gunsafe if you have firearms
    I thought it was as part of the new legislation under the act but afriend of mine says no that theyre not mandatory

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

The minimum security requirement is for a single unrestricted shotgun to be disassembled and stored separately in your home, although your SI can request a higher level of security (such as a gunsafe).

IMHO though a safe should be a legal requirement for any firearm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

if you have one shot gun you dont need a safe it just needs to be broken down and you need to hide the bits but if you have a rifle you need a gun safe
    please someone correct me if i am wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

you are correct ace, anything bar a single unrestricted shotgun and you need a safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

smokin ace wrote: »
    if you have one shot gun you dont need a safe it just needs to be broken down and you need to hide the bits

i think you also have to have a trigger lock aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

Yes everything except a unrestricted shotgun you require a safe for.

When I was applying for the new license I asked the officer do I need a safe, he said nah just get a trigger guard and we'll see how it goes.

I was told by a dealer afterwards that there was alot of this going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Does anyone know where I would get a 2 gun cabinet in the South East ?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

To be fair, a gun cabinet is a fairly inexpensive piece of equipment for the security it brings. There's even a fair few knocking about second hand for even less.

Its also a good way to protect your investment, keep dust and other contaminents from it etc.

Advertisement