Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on lighting equipment

• 29-09-2010 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Basically, I want to shoot some video in my house, and while I have read up on the principles of 3 point lighting, I'm not sure what equipment I will need to get the best visual result.

My initial attempts with 500watt halogen lamps have been average to say the least.

Wondering if someone could help in this regards,

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Don't know loads about video. But one thing is this, you'll need a lot of light, at least a 1000 watts. Ideally, if you are going to do this any justice at all, a couple of 1000 watt adjustable light sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Get down to a hire company and you can get a lot of light for a small amount

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Roger Marbles

Hi Borderfox,

I am going to be shooting a DVD series basically so I'm not sure if hiring is not going to turn out expensive either.

Saw your set-up in another thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055573933

Was wondering what equipment was involved and is it expensive...looks to be something that could be useful for me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

digirent in morehampton road

ask for a 3 head readhead kit

its the standard location lighting kit for video

stcstc wrote: »
    digirent in morehampton road

ask for a 3 head readhead kit

its the standard location lighting kit for video

Really not looking to rent or hire. More looking to buy some equipment and wondering what I would need in terms of lights and background equipment.

• Advertisement

like i said a 3 head redhead kit is pretty standard kit

digirent also sell equipment

Ah okay. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

The Interfit CoolLight kits are well worth a look also. They are daylight balanced, cool running and can run from the equivalent of 100 -900watts.

the main issue with video lighting is having something you can use as spot or flood, which the redheads do and barndoors

the other issue is you need something where the colour temp stays the same over a long period of time. this is crucial as your shooting lengths of time not just snapshots of time, an so you would see the change with lighting where colour changes

The Interfit CoolLight kits are well worth a look also. They are daylight balanced, cool running and can run from the equivalent of 100 -900watts.

Would such a kit be enough for what I want to do..light up an indoor area sufficiently for video filming or would I need some other equipment?

Thanks,
    Roger.

• Advertisement

stcstc wrote: »
    the main issue with video lighting is having something you can use as spot or flood, which the redheads do and barndoors

the other issue is you need something where the colour temp stays the same over a long period of time. this is crucial as your shooting lengths of time not just snapshots of time, an so you would see the change with lighting where colour changes

Being a virtual novice when it comes to equipment, would a 3 head redhead kit be enough?

really depends what your trying to achive

1 head might be enough, i have worked on shoots with 30 heads too

there are soooooo many factors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Set aside a few quid and rent out some gear. Then experiment till it's coming out of your ears.... :)

Advertisement