Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairyhouse Market for Baby stuff

Options
  • 29-09-2010 10:35am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A friend of a friend was telling me there's some great deals on baby equipment out in the Fairyhouse Sunday market, she got her sister a kick ass pram a few weeks back.. Said it was a grand in the shops and she got it for €350 or something like that.. Hmmmmmm !!

Anyone been out there for baby gear and can confirm this? Myself and the OH were thinking of heading out on Sunday if there's any truth to it :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Ive heard its a great place for buying in bulk; nappies, formula etc.

We might pop out the weekend ourselfs.

Just be carefull buying stuff like prams out there, the price might be right and everyone loves a bargain but you have zero comeback with most of traders at markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Dancor wrote: »
    All due respect, but anyone who buys baby formula at a car-boot really needs to have a word with themselves.

As for prams etc, you've no comeback and could potentially be buying a fixie.

What kind of pram costs over €1,000?

All due respect, but anyone who buys baby formula at a car-boot really needs to have a word with themselves.

:D Good point. I aint bought any but I have not heard any complaints yet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

What kind of pram costs over €1,000?

Well that's what I was wondering.. I have my pram already but I'm interested to see if there's any truth to this, I'd say it's more than likely a case of Chinese whispers and the pram was originally said to be €750 in the shops or something.. These stories have a habit of growing legs when they're doing the rounds..

Anyway, it's on this Sunday so we said we'll take a spin out and have a ganders for ourselves.. We need a Moses basket, not too much can go wrong with one of those if we find a good deal.

What make of pram is it? Have you checked prices up North?

We used our pram very little after all the to'ing and fro'ing over getting it.

• Advertisement

What make of pram is it? .

Couldn't tell you.. This is why I'm asking if anyone knows what's out there..

I'm dying to see this 'all singing, all dancing' pram for myself :D if I find out, I shall report back..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Alot of travel systems are up around the 1k mark in Ireland,it is crazy.
    I got mine for 1/2 what it was in a well known shop here in the UK,shopping around pays off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Bugaboo's with all the extras and iCandys can cost around 1k to buy... depending on where you buy from.

I haven't been to the Fairyhouse Market for ages, but the last time I was there they only had strollers not travel systems and I wouldn't be buying formula from there either, but nappies are great value from there! Most stuff that is brought there is from Musgraves anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I reckon our Quinny probably worked out at over 1k after the exchange rate etc... but we did get it alot cheaper than we would've paid here for everything that we got.

Don't think I'd be buying a pram from a market. Its the kinda thing you want to get a guarantee for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭thebullkf

We might pop out the weekend ourselfs.

Just be carefull buying stuff like prams out there, the price might be right and everyone loves a bargain but you have zero comeback with most of traders at markets.

at an outdoor market..... are you serious???

the mind boggles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I got my buggy there, eh over 12 years ago.
    I hadnt' seen anything I like anywhere and in the pavillion there was a pram section set up.
    Far as I recall at the time it was someone who has a shop up north who comes down.
    There were different types of display and when I bought mine it was taken from the box and put together for me on the spot.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I got my buggy there, eh over 12 years ago.
    I hadnt' seen anything I like anywhere and in the pavillion there was a pram section set up.
    Far as I recall at the time it was someone who has a shop up north who comes down.
    There were different types of display and when I bought mine it was taken from the box and put together for me on the spot.

is that directed@ my post?

i highlighted formula.

anyone buys baby food at a market should havetheir kids taken off them.

thebullkf wrote: »
    at an outdoor market..... are you serious???

Yeah apparently so.

Yeah apparently so.

nice contribution Dancor.:rolleyes:

would you ?

Ladies pur-leease.. leave the handbags outside ;)

nice contribution Dancor.:rolleyes:

would you ?

You asked a question and I answered it :confused:
    Why the :rolleyes:

And no, btw.
    xzanti wrote: »
    Ladies pur-leease.. leave the handbags outside ;)

Im a gent ;)

Im a gent ;)

Not in here you're not.. This is a hen house :D

The parenting forum is for all parents and those parenting children.
    It is not just for female parents.

IF you have an issue with a post report it do not make snarly remarks in the thread.

thebullkf if the forumla is a well known brand and is correct and intact I don't see the difference or frankly the harm.

It is not just for female parents............and?

IF you have an issue with a post report it do not make snarly remarks in the thread.

thebullkf if the forumla is a well known brand and is correct and intact I don't see the difference or frankly the harm.

really.:confused:
    so if SMA is being sold-outdoors-@ a market you'd buy it because 'don't see the difference or frankly the harm' then i pity any of your children being fed from the stuff.i'm actually astounded that you condone this. :eek:

i wouldn't buy dog food @ a market.

nuff said.

You asked a question and I answered it :confused:
    Why the :rolleyes:

And no, btw.

Im a gent ;)

pretty obvious imo.

• Advertisement

It is not just for female parents.

I was joking :confused: thought that was pretty obvious.

pretty obvious imo.

Nope. Im missing something here and feeling a bit thick. Please explain.

Can we please stop with the sniping in the thread and personal comments there is no need for them.

really.:confused:
    so if SMA is being sold-outdoors-@ a market you'd buy it because 'don't see the difference or frankly the harm' then i pity any of your children being fed from the stuff.i'm actually astounded that you condone this. :eek:

i wouldn't buy dog food @ a market.

nuff said.

That is your choice and my children dont' need your pity.
    Growing up and buying and eating cake and bread and apple tarts from the local market on a Sunday never did me any harm, nor has eating anything which we have bought from the local farmers market done my kids any harm.

If a branded product is in the same condition as would be found in a shop then I don't see how it being in a market makes it a danger. Shops certainly are not sterile and I can tell you the good entrances of shops esp supermarkets and the vast ware houses of cash and carrys are not either.

If a branded product is in the same condition as would be found in a shop then I don't see how it being in a market makes it a danger.
    One word - counterfeit.

The manufacture and distribution of counterfeit baby formula is a big world-wide criminal problem. The FSA constantly warn UK consumers about the dangers of buying baby food at car-boot sales and outdoor markets.

As well as counterfeits, there are also batches of goods that have been recalled that still make it onto markets. In February of this year, Heinz UK recalled thousands of pots of baby food after plastic pieces were found by consumers in some batches.

Again as I said previous if correct and intact.
    I don't know what sorts of dodgy markets some people have been going to but there are plenty of above board ones.

That is your choice and my children dont' need your pity.[

they do if you're buying SMA out of the back of a van in some field.
    i would've thought that giving a child the best start in life is foremost in a parents mind.
    It was in mine-i also believe that buying baby formula like described above displays a lack of intelligence and/or could result in serious harm to children.
    Growing up and buying and eating cake and bread and apple tarts from the local market on a Sunday never did me any harm, nor has eating anything which we have bought from the local farmers market done my kids any harm.

different ball game altogether-and i think you know this.
    Babies don't eat cakes and bread-also local co-ops/markets aredifferent to a stall set up in fairyhouse/Balbriggan etc.
    If a branded product....

its baby formula we're talkin about- not shower gel, toothpaste etc.

Ok so we went out there today but I couldn't really see much tbh.. I was half expecting a huge display of baby stuff but there were only a few random stalls dotted around.. We bought some nice little hand knitted cardies and hats off a nice young girl, she knits all the stuff herself apparently..

There were a few flimsy buggies outside but they were more for older babies, the McClarren types.. No moses baskets and I didn't see any nappies or formula, unless we missed something, I'm pretty sure we covered the whole place.. Maybe we just went on a bad day.. Ended up getting loads of stuff for Daddy though :rolleyes: he had a great time at the DIY stalls..

Ended up getting our moses basket and rocker out in Smyths, so we're nearly done now :D

Again as I said previous if correct and intact.
    I don't know what sorts of dodgy markets some people have been going to but there are plenty of above board ones.

how do you know-its a sealed container.?
    same could be said for tescos formula-BUT chances arethe storage/transport controls are stricter. ie. not stored in a transit in baking heat-or in a damp shed somewhere.

• Advertisement

xzanti wrote: »
    Ok so we went out there today but I couldn't really see much tbh.. I was half expecting a huge display of baby stuff but there were only a few random stalls dotted around.. We bought some nice little hand knitted cardies and hats off a nice young girl, she knits all the stuff herself apparently..

There were a few flimsy buggies outside but they were more for older babies, the McClarren types.. No moses baskets and I didn't see any nappies or formula, unless we missed something, I'm pretty sure we covered the whole place.. Maybe we just went on a bad day.. Ended up getting loads of stuff for Daddy though :rolleyes: he had a great time at the DIY stalls..

Ended up getting our moses basket and rocker out in Smyths, so we're nearly done now :D

nice one:)

Advertisement