Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairyhouse Market for Baby stuff

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

thebullkf wrote: »
    they do if you're buying SMA out of the back of a van in some field.

Again I don't know what sort of dodgy markets you go to but a lot of the open air markets esp farmers markets are well run and often have stalls from reputable business and shops at them.

I wasn't talking about stuff which fell off the back of a truck, seems you are.

Babies don't eat cakes and bread

They do, and the do eat the organic fruit and veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Again I don't know what sort of dodgy markets you go to but a lot of the open air markets esp farmers markets are well run and often have stalls from reputable business and shops at them.

since when is Fairyhouse a farmers market?
    I used to go to the one in Drogheda,and Balbriggan-,Santry,Dandelion,Blackrock and the one out off the long mile/N7
    I wouldn't buy SMA from any of them.
    Are those markets reputable enough for you?(with the exception of Balbriggan)

I wasn't talking about stuff which fell off the back of a truck, seems you are.

How very presumptious of you.

They do, and the do eat the organic fruit and veg.

AGAIN we're talking about Baby Formula not organic fruit and veg and for the record i never gave cakes to babies no matter how organic.

Please don't presume i buy illegal goods, i don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Oh for goodness sake thebulkf, can you tone it down a bit please? It's Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Khannie wrote: »
    Oh for goodness sake thebulkf, can you tone it down a bit please? It's Monday morning.

eh THAEDYDAL posted her message this morning- ie Monday Morning -implying i go to all sorts of dodgy markets . i simply replied , whats your problem??? please refrain from criticising other posts unless you've something constructive to add. :mad: Thanks anyway. care to add a mature comment??.....thought not:rolleyes:.

eh THAEDYDAL posted her message this morning- ie Monday Morning -implying i go to all sorts of dodgy markets . i simply replied , whats your problem???

Let me be very clear here so you don't go trying to reply like that again: You need to drop that tone. You didn't simply reply "what's your problem?". Your posts were downright rude. I was trying to be relaxed in the warning I gave you so that we could all just move on, but you didn't pick up on that. Do not question me on thread again. If you need to, feel free to use the dispute resolution process.
    please refrain from criticising other posts unless you've something constructive to add. :mad: Thanks anyway. care to add a mature comment??.....thought not:rolleyes:.

You can keep that back seat modding to yourself. It is a bannable offence and I wont hesitate to enforce it if you do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭melsbells

Im new to this site and just read back thru this thread, im only 10 weeks gone and i dont have any other children but I just felt I wanted to reply to this.
    As a pregnant woman Im suffering a lot at the moment but the thoughts of my little baba brings a smile any time! Already i wud do anything for it, and i do plan on giving it everything it needs and wants even if the budget has already flew out the window. But i havn't forgotten where i came from and my own up bringing, as a kid we used to love being brought to markets and as long as they are reputable I don't see the snobbery surrounding them. Now that we have all had a taste of the wonderful celtic tiger we think we're too good for such places and top buck should be paid for everything even if at the back of our mind we know we're being ripped off.
    No mother goes thru pregnancy and birth to put her child in harms way, we are all adults and will protect our kids in any way, so giving your pity to kids for example whose parents chose to buy formula somewhere you dont agree with would be an insult in my mind.
    too many of us have so called silver spoons in our gobs and snobbery is an excepted standard but all im saying is its a parents right to chose what they feel is right for their child and not a by standers right to comment on their judgment.
    Its ok if you dont agree with my post, its ok if you do, its just my opinion!
    aah there's my rant over:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

melsbells wrote: »
    No mother goes thru pregnancy and birth to put her child in harms way, we are all adults and will protect our kids in any way, so giving your pity to kids for example whose parents chose to buy formula somewhere you dont agree with would be an insult in my mind.
    too many of us have so called silver spoons in our gobs and snobbery is an excepted standard

It isn't about snobbery, it's about safety.

As I said earlier, counterfeit baby-formula is big business in the developing world, plus you also might be buying a product from a previously recalled contaminated batch.

The immune system of a baby has not yet fully developed - that's why we sterilise baby bottles.

As for farmer's markets? I really don't care how organic and ethical a cake is if there have been flies and wasps buzzing around it all Saturday afternoon!

Thankfully I've yet to see anyone even attempting to sell baby formula at a market - farmers, car-boot or otherwise.

As for farmer's markets? I really don't care how organic and ethical a cake is if there have been flies and wasps buzzing around it all Saturday afternoon!

Eh.....Your child is gonna crawl around and pick things up off the floor for several months and stick them in his or her gob. This is absolutely unavoidable. Not a parent alive can say that they 100% prevented their child putting things in their mouth that they would prefer they didn't. An organic cake from a market would be the least of my concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Agree with you Khannie! They will probably eat the flies and all :D

I have never heard of counterfeit baby-formula full stop never mind in this country.
    Do you have any links about it that you can share?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

something that came to my mind was a problem with baby formula in china about two years ago iirc.
    not exactly a reputable link but the info seems easy to understand. im sure if you google it you can find some more trustworthy info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

this was at the time when my daughter was still on formula and it knocked me for six tbh, was very wary about where i bought the formula as irrational as it sounds!

btw i know this was not sma or whatever other formula is here but it just goes to show you that we never know whats in the stuff regardless of where we buy it. although if you're buying legitimately (sp?) you have a comeback (god forbid) should anything like that ever occur here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Thats north america and africa, but nothing in Europe or here in Ireland
    which is most likely why I have never heard of it being an issue here.

Not to be too pedantic either, but in the first one it says:
    TFDA experts said the tested samples of S-26 milk were actually ”sub-standard” and not counterfeit as earlier reported.

And all three were in shops!

edit: While I take your point, I think you can take these things too far. Not eating an organic cake because it's been in the open air for a few hours...well...that's taking things too far IMO. As I said earlier, your child will naturally be exposed to much worse that you can't prevent. Of course, to each their own.

On the safety of baby food; Well, unless you're growing stuff yourself, there is some element of risk involved. You can't say with any level of certainty that the products you're buying are not contaminated with *something*. You just have to hope and assume they're good. There was a case of poisonous cooking oil in Spain some time ago link. Deaths were involved. I still buy cooking oil. In a planet with 6 billion people, there will be some bad stuff happening. I don't base life choices around isolated incidents though.

As I said though: To each their own.

CK2010 wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

this was at the time when my daughter was still on formula and it knocked me for six tbh, was very wary about where i bought the formula as irrational as it sounds!

Have to admit I didn't hear about that. Pretty scary stuff alright.

i think the main thing is if you're buying from a market then generally you will have no leg to stand on should anything be wrong with the formula.

it may be perfectly fine or it may be contaminated/recalled/out of date, the fact is you wont be able to trace it back or complain like you could if you had bought it from a shop. and generally it would be less likely to be dodgy in a shop than from an unknown source.

i went to buy a pack of juices there a while back and it was only when i checked the date on them that i knew they were a year out of date! and theres no doubt that they werent gonna tell me if i went to buy them!!

and yet it doesnt stop me buying crepes or waffles there every time i go!!

CK2010 wrote: »
    i went to buy a pack of juices there a while back and it was only when i checked the date on them that i knew they were a year out of date!

:eek:

Was that at a market?

yep! you know near the gate where there does be a white van and in front of it theres loads of boxes of food, like crisps and sweets, not a good explanation at all but it was there!

edit: forgot to say in fairyhouse!

Advertisement