Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCworld issues :(

Options
  • 29-09-2010 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭

Hi basically I have a 3 year service plan and in paper it states that if a product takes longer than 28 days to bbe repaired, I can get a new one or get vouchers to get a new one.

I took it in the 1st of this month, today 28 days is up. I;ve rang the helpline(s) many times and all agree that I'm wrong, mistaken, the contract is wrong and so on.

Today I was told I have to go to the store to check it with them (which I'll do in an hour or two).

The problem is, that I was told by the phoneline people that it's 35/42 days and not 28. I know it says that on my repair docket but in the contract I have (I confimed this in store) I pointed it out to the guy there and he said "yes it's actually 28 days", due to my contract.

Anyone have any advice or whatnot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Dont buy stuff in pcworld. Its overpriced!

But yes, if its 28 days on your contract then its 28 days. maybe there's a clause in the contract that a repair docket or whatever over-rides the original contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Is it 28 working days or 28 regular days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Dont buy stuff in pcworld. Its overpriced!

But yes, if its 28 days on your contract then its 28 days. maybe there's a clause in the contract that a repair docket or whatever over-rides the original contract?

Isn't that illegal though? It never stated that it was overriding anything at all. The guy in store told me (after I pointed out) that it was actually 28 days,

dudara wrote: »
    Is it 28 working days or 28 regular days?

Doesn't say. But when I spoke to a supervisor, he said it would be up on the 29th (assuming it was 28 days). And whats more, I was told on the phone it's 35/42 regular days, not working days. So I assume it is 28 days as nobody else ever told me different.

It never was on the contract but the guy that gave me told me it was 28 days, not working ones. But it never was on the contract so you know... PCWorld have been trying to give me the runaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Then you should be good! You should get your vouchers! Just make sure you dont let the guy in the store push you over if he tries! Stand tall!!! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=322279# This is the page of Declan Ronayne (MD of DSGi - Currys & PC World Ireland). Give him a PM and he'll sort it out for you.
    Dont buy stuff in pcworld. Its overpriced

Both PC World and Currys offer a price promise. So, do buy stuff in PC World, and especially if it's cheaper in another store. If you go in with a price quote they'll match it and knock 10% off the difference.

Then you should be good! You should get your vouchers! Just make sure you dont let the guy in the store push you over if he tries! Stand tall!!! :-)

This is the damn scary part about that. With "vouchers" do they mean vouchers or "spend X euro and get a few euro back" :rolleyes:

They told me on the phone they need to have confirmation (either scan the contract or else show in store and have the store confimr it) THEN they have to call head office and discuss it to see if I'm allowed one.

Is there anyone at all I can just demand a new one/vouchers (i can get a replacemant of a equivilent nature or vouchers to get a new one) nistead of waiting for head office; it never once stated that was the case. The guy at the time told me, I just come in to store and get it done there and then so I'm not sure...

Hey all, a package came for me today and I missed it. It might be the laptop so I'll update this tomorrow, so far PCWorld might avoid engaging my wrath :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭j1974

Hi basically I have a 3 year service plan and in paper it states that if a product takes longer than 28 days to bbe repaired, I can get a new one or get vouchers to get a new one.

I took it in the 1st of this month, today 28 days is up. I;ve rang the helpline(s) many times and all agree that I'm wrong, mistaken, the contract is wrong and so on.

Today I was told I have to go to the store to check it with them (which I'll do in an hour or two).

The problem is, that I was told by the phoneline people that it's 35/42 days and not 28. I know it says that on my repair docket but in the contract I have (I confimed this in store) I pointed it out to the guy there and he said "yes it's actually 28 days", due to my contract.

Anyone have any advice or whatnot?

Theyre wrong as far as i know, just call the consumer rights line, they'll tell you. Its all in your approach, ask for the manager tell him you're there to collect a new unit. you dont ask, you tell! he gives you any crap then quote the sale of goods and supply of services act 1982 I think it is, theyre entilted to 28days calender days or some such ****, tell them you WANT a replacement or you'll take them to the small claims court at a cost of ten euro to you, which you will claim back etc etc, be assertive, not aggressive. they'll take the piss if you dont!!

oh and bring a GUN " Falling down michael douglas style!! "IM THE BAD GUY HERE"

j1974 Please don't ever make such a stupid suggestion here again.

Additionally, if the OP takes a case to the SCC and cannot demonstrate that he attempted to engage reasonably with PC World, then the case won't go any further.

dudara

• Advertisement

Additionally, if the OP takes a case to the SCC and cannot demonstrate that he attempted to engage reasonably with PC World, then the case won't go any further.

dudara

I have no idea if that guy was serious... :D

Yeah basically I've tried to contact them, I've let Declean know about it and so far we've decided to wait and hope for the best about the delievery I missed this morning (never even got told about it from PCWorld). :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭j1974

dudara

That was me just kiddin round dudara. If I was being serious Id tell you to go and suck my cock, But i cant be arsed waiting round until you take your own outa your mouth!!! Moderate that!!

It's worth the Ban, ya ****wit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

j1974 wrote: »

I hope it's worth the ban from the category, as no one should treat someone that's trying to help like that, but thankfully we won't have to deal with you again.

j1974 wrote: »
    That was me just kiddin round dudara. If I was being serious Id tell you to go and suck my cock, But i cant be arsed waiting round until you take your own outa your mouth!!! Moderate that!!

Removing my own penis from my mouth would be impossible given that I'm female. But I can't be arsed waiting around for you to develop some cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

jor el wrote: »
    I hope it's worth the ban from the category, as no one should treat someone that's trying to help like that, but thankfully we won't have to deal with you again.

Does this mean he got a permanent ban on that username?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,310 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

jor el wrote: »

Upgraded to a two week siteban with a warning that the next one is permanent. Nobody should have to put up with abuse like that.

Removing my own penis from my mouth would be impossible given that I'm female. But I can't be arsed waiting around for you to develop some cop on.

BOO YA!

Sorry :P

Alright folks, long story short, I'm on the messaging business to Declan, very helpful guy.

Got the laptop back, with a disc drive that wouldn't close, they fixed it in store.
    But now I take it home and it won't remain open, like if i have the laptop on my side and the disc drive facing the celling, it'll just "fall" right back in, anyone knowing about cd/dvd drives knows there is somethign wrong.

So basically I get it back a day late and am told it's not being classed as taking more than 28 days since it was being repaired for a whole 28 days. Then after them fixing another error (that was their fault, it was fine when I left it in) the feckin' thing still doesn't work. Now, the manager told me he'd let me know on tuesday about if I am entitled to vouchers/a new laptop.
    But I think I should still get one automatically since this is a 3rd fault after techincally two repairs, though one was just logged so damnit.

Anyway my question now is since it is a laptop and as time goes along, parts for pcs and things get cheaper so the manager told me I'd only get vouchers worth what my laptop is worth now. Is this right or should I get my money back?

What about this 3 year cover plan (like an issurance thing), if i get my money back does that just go bye bye or should i still get my money for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

BOO YA!

Sorry :P

Alright folks, long story short, I'm on the messaging business to Declan, very helpful guy.

Got the laptop back, with a disc drive that wouldn't close, they fixed it in store.
    But now I take it home and it won't remain open, like if i have the laptop on my side and the disc drive facing the celling, it'll just "fall" right back in, anyone knowing about cd/dvd drives knows there is somethign wrong.

So basically I get it back a day late and am told it's not being classed as taking more than 28 days since it was being repaired for a whole 28 days. Then after them fixing another error (that was their fault, it was fine when I left it in) the feckin' thing still doesn't work. Now, the manager told me he'd let me know on tuesday about if I am entitled to vouchers/a new laptop.
    But I think I should still get one automatically since this is a 3rd fault after techincally two repairs, though one was just logged so damnit.

Anyway my question now is since it is a laptop and as time goes along, parts for pcs and things get cheaper so the manager told me I'd only get vouchers worth what my laptop is worth now. Is this right or should I get my money back?

What about this 3 year cover plan (like an issurance thing), if i get my money back does that just go bye bye or should i still get my money for that?
    they are only messing you around now so get yourself forms for the small claims court as you have been more than reasonable so far in allowing them so much time to fix the faults.

write to the store manager explaining what you want and how you have been more than patient with poor service and explain how you will be going through the small claims court to obtain suitable redress in the form of a replacement or a full refund.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    they are only messing you around now so get yourself forms for the small claims court as you have been more than reasonable so far in allowing them so much time to fix the faults.

write to the store manager explaining what you want and how you have been more than patient with poor service and explain how you will be going through the small claims court to obtain suitable redress in the form of a replacement or a full refund.

Declan sorted me out, got the manager to call me (I missed it) and then went to the store, got told I'd get an exchange done and I could pick up anything that I wanted (laptop/pc)* and the cover plan would carry over.

*obviously to a limit, they told me the money I spent on the old laptop can be put off a new one.

So very happy man, after having to go through Declean but still; it was well worth it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Declan sorted me out, got the manager to call me (I missed it) and then went to the store, got told I'd get an exchange done and I could pick up anything that I wanted (laptop/pc)* and the cover plan would carry over.

*obviously to a limit, they told me the money I spent on the old laptop can be put off a new one.

So very happy man, after having to go through Declean but still; it was well worth it. :)

Glad to hear you're sorted :). Did anyone at anytime confirm the 28day time frame or has this changed to the 35/42 days you were told on the phone?

Its great getting things sorted out by PM but that often hides the nuts and bolts so anyone with a similar problem has to start out and fight the same battle from scratch.
    The problem is, that I was told by the phoneline people that it's 35/42 days and not 28

• Advertisement

Glad to hear you're sorted :). Did anyone at anytime confirm the 28day time frame or has this changed to the 35/42 days you were told on the phone?

Its great getting things sorted out by PM but that often hides the nuts and bolts so anyone with a similar problem has to start out and fight the same battle from scratch.

Turns out it's one of two things. :rolleyes:

It's either: A new policy where the new cover plans are not 28 days and only 35/42 days OR it's just a mixup and apprently I got some "special" coverplan or some rubbish like that.:D

Basically (and I'm not exactly blaming anyone) at the time, it seems to be that they did do a 28 day cover plan but now (at least by the first of September) they do not do that.
    I'll also point out that there doesn't seem to be an Irish helpline and since we get put through to the UK, sometimes the policies are a bit different (I was actually old that by the first manager) so that could explain it.

Though I was told by one guy from the UK (after checking with his supervisor) that the warranty from Toshiba overrides it and since it's the first year I should have gotten the refund.

So yeah... I'm not exactly sure of what the current 3 year cover plan is that they off but I can tell you this: in the contract I have (on paper) it states that it is 28 days.
    And also (this part I love :D) I was told by the manager it only counts as 28 days of REPAIR, not if it's in the process of being in store or benig collect from the store, they need to be repairing it for 28 days or longer which is a pile of rubbish, that gives them a whole 672 hours to work on the damn laptop. Great cop-out there. But like I said, it was the first, unhelpful and rude manager that said that so I'm going to ask the second manager when I go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

There's also a THIRD OPTION :D

You posted your problems here ;)

I've definitely been told 28days by PC World staff when they have been trying to sell me a CoverPlan but just had a mate get a repair done under the CoverPlan and he was told it 42days before he could ask for a replacement when he checked.

There's also a THIRD OPTION :D

You posted your problems here ;)

I've definitely been told 28days by PC World staff when they have been trying to sell me a CoverPlan but just had a mate get a repair done under the CoverPlan and he was told it 42days before he could ask for a replacement when he checked.

Well whatever it says on the paper when you get the cover plan is what it is. I had the manager comfirm that THEN he says "oh it's 28 days of repair, it wasn't being repaired for more than 28 days so you can claim that"...:rolleyes:

Managers, gotta love them eh? :P

Your mate just got told the standard thing I think, I was told that too when I asked about it. Just go by what it says on your paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

OP, just out of curiosity, which PC World store was it?

And just to bring you some closure on your confusion, I used to work in a Currys store *same company as PC World* and don't mind whoever that manager was. For a product under Coverplan, it's 28 days from whenever the product is booked into the store. The "up to 42 day repair" only applies to a standard 1 year warranty product. But, from what I can remember, Declan said they were trying to push every repair under the 28 day rule.
    Also, if you are entitled to a replacement, you are entitled to one of equal spec to your previous laptop. It doesn't go by value. They look at the spec of your current laptop, find the closest current line comparison, and send you out vouchers of that value.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Hi, sorry to hijack this a little. Sent my laptop for repair away from PC World on the 28 August, and after them consistantly fobbing me off they today admitted to losing the thing! Now they've offered me a new laptop to the value of my old one, which I'm happy with, just wondering if I would have any more rights in this case - I was left without a laptop in college for too long because they wouldn't just tell me the truth, would I be within my rights to ask them for anything more or am I being greedy?
    As I said I'm very happy to get the new laptop but I don't want to find out later I was entitled to more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Being greedy, just take the new laptop. It's been just over a month, which is not a completely unreasonable amount of time to wait for a repair. A replacement at this point is a reasonable resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

BOO YA!

That is normal for laptop drives, they only pop open and are free moving after that. They don't have a motor to drive them open the same as a PC disc drive.

OP, just out of curiosity, which PC World store was it?

And just to bring you some closure on your confusion, I used to work in a Currys store *same company as PC World* and don't mind whoever that manager was. For a product under Coverplan, it's 28 days from whenever the product is booked into the store. The "up to 42 day repair" only applies to a standard 1 year warranty product. But, from what I can remember, Declan said they were trying to push every repair under the 28 day rule.
    Also, if you are entitled to a replacement, you are entitled to one of equal spec to your previous laptop. It doesn't go by value. They look at the spec of your current laptop, find the closest current line comparison, and send you out vouchers of that value.

I'd prefer not to say.

It depends, I think there was some mixup and I let it go.
    I've been given the price I paid for it off a new laptop and any cash I have so I'm overjoyed.

The repair they had for it did state 42 days till i showed my contract. :D

Oh I know that but after going through Declan, the manager told me I get the 415 of a new laptop or pc so I'm happy with that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Offside wrote: »
    Hi, sorry to hijack this a little. Sent my laptop for repair away from PC World on the 28 August, and after them consistantly fobbing me off they today admitted to losing the thing! Now they've offered me a new laptop to the value of my old one, which I'm happy with, just wondering if I would have any more rights in this case - I was left without a laptop in college for too long because they wouldn't just tell me the truth, would I be within my rights to ask them for anything more or am I being greedy?
    As I said I'm very happy to get the new laptop but I don't want to find out later I was entitled to more.

Same thing happened to me, I just took the new laptop because the 1st one was 2 years old so I was happy enough. I doubt you'd be entitled to anything anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

dudara

Just to correct you there, you don't need to demonstrate anything of the sort. Been through the SCC process 3 times (all successful) and the correspondence is done through the courts before any case is decided. At each stage you're asked if you're happy with the response. If not, you can request a court date (similar to Paypal). The SCC is a very powerful and unfortunately under utilized consumer tool. Even the threat of a court case is often enough for business to take a different stance.

Advertisement