Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aloe Vera

Options
  • 29-09-2010 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi does anybody know is it possible to extract drinkable juice from the leaf.
    When i peel off the green part, im left with a (for want of another word) gel substance.
    Also what are the benefits of having this plant, i know it can soothe in helping for sun burn, or other burns,
    has anybody any experience with this plant Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I always keep one in the kitchen, but I'm clumsy;)

Great for burns, not so sure about the other uses claimed for it as I have not tried nor read trial results on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't know about drinking it, but if you need it for skin irritation just cut off a cross section of leaf and rub the raw edge on the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Agree with other posters, a lovely plant which grows well in the kitchen. Simply cut and apply sap and what a very useful and soothing medicinal plant to deal with skin problems. I have used it for sunburn, insect bites.

I know it's used in beauty products (shampoo, soaps etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭yeahme

Its great for sun burn, on a par with natural yogurt and honey for soothing.
    But in health shops I have seen Health drinks with aloe vera added and was wondering can I squeeze juice out of it? or maybe blend it, because its getting too big and I have to cut the bottom leaves off to make way for the young new ones. So I need a use for these leaves and dont want to throw them out

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well maybe you could wash the leaves, cut them into chunks, put them in a ziplock plastic bag and press them with a rolling pin or bottle, then leave it on a bit of a slope for the juice to drain to one end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement