Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there such a thing as leg braces for dogs ?

Options
  • 29-09-2010 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭

My dog's rear leg has always been weak. The vet says it is ligament trouble. About two years ago he did an operation where he injected the dogs own blood into the knee joint. The operation was a partial success, but the leg has never been 100 %. Sometimes when she has been off the lead and running ( not particularly hard ), when we get home she cant put any weight on the leg. This happened again yesterday. Took her for a short walk this morning (left it to her to decide if she wanted to go ). During the walk, it was a mix of hobbling on three legs and sometimes very gingerly using the bad one. I know it will improve in a couple of days, as that is how it has been before. The dog is eight years old.

I was wondering if there was a leg brace for dogs that would help give some strength and support to the leg when out walking ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I came across a company called orthpets on youtube that do them - looks like they're in europe too - http://www.orthopets.co.uk/Home.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Is it the Cruciate Ligament that's gone?

If so my wife had a Lab who passed away last Sept, 2 years prior to that her Cruciate went in one of her back legs. The vet at Lissenhal (Dennis i think) said he'd operate and use a special type of wire to hold it all in place.

He wasn't that confident as it was the first time he'd tried it and she was a heavy dog, gave it less than 50/50 of working.

Cut a long story short, the op was a huge success and within 2 months she was back to her old self and walking fine.

Also, you say that you know it well improve within a few days, if it's a cruciate that's on it's way out it WILL NOT heal itself so seek your vets advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Thanks for your replies. :)

Advertisement