Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I love this country

• 29-09-2010 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Seriously... There's been way too many threads here about how the place is ****, leaders, dole, weather and blablabla.

Whenever I find myself on sun holidays, they're great for a few weeks. The sweat, insects and bad food quickly makes me want to come home.

The sheer lack of armed crime in this country compared to most is staggering.

There's little to no natural disasters, read any legit newspaper and you'll see there's people dying of floods, landslides, famine, tsunami's and everything else that comes with it.

Pretty much no one goes hungry, there are few real homeless people and focus and the like do their best to keep them fed/clothed.

The dole may be shít but I sure as hell know most can still afford to have their food and their few pints every now and again.

Cheer up, people of AH.. It's not all that bad!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Gijoe

Irish Karl Pilkington?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I hate people trying to cheer me up.
    The dole is actually far too generous in most cases.
    There's plenty of armed crime in this country and I'm hungry right now so that's your theory screwed.
    What am I supposed to be happy about? The ****ing sun just came out. Great. Skin cancer. wahey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Backward little burg tbh. Still on the plus side it's gotta be better than 90% of the world. But that's like saying a snail is more evolved than a slug.

BTW, being on the dole is shít. But the dole isn't shít. If anything I'd say it's fairly generous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

And Irish women will roide ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I hate people trying to cheer me up.
    The dole is actually far too generous in most cases.
    There's plenty of armed crime in this country and I'm hungry right now so that's your theory screwed.
    What am I supposed to be happy about? The ****ing sun just came out. Great. Skin cancer. wahey.

Sounds like someone needs a visit from Mister Hugs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Sykk wrote: »

Irish pupils are among the worst in Europe for bringing knives and other weapons into school, an international survey has revealed.

Around one in eight pupils between 12 and 16 revealed they carried weapons -- the highest rate among 10 European countries.

The disturbing 13.9 pc rate of weapon carrying as given rise to concerns about safety within the nation's schools.

A United Nations World Health Organisation (WHO) report on homicides and knife crime also found Ireland has the highest rate of killings of young men overall in western Europe. Ireland has the second highest death rate caused by the use of knives.

The homicide figures were calculated from the deaths of young people between 10 and 29 years old from 2004 and 2006. In the first seven months of 2010

- http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/one-in-eight-irish-pupils-has-weapon-in-classroom-14958280.html

Wait til these little fukcers grow up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Another silver lining: no poisonous snakes or spiders here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I really like Ireland and the irish ability to solve all problems and stress' with a few social drinks which in most countries we'd be considered raging alcoholics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ireland is great, we'd have a great little country if we could only roof it!

I love my country *sobs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The main reason im happy to be irish is superquinn sausages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 thegeist

Fantastic pork produce as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I really like Ireland and the irish ability to solve all problems and stress' with a few social drinks which in most countries we'd be considered raging alcoholics.

Hi Brian!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Quiet you! The Irish government have inherited a way to keep the population suppressed in a way that actually generates revenue! It's win-win control measure that most other governments could only dream of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

i've a very serious hangover not and am not in the humour for your sunshine and f'uckin rainbows:mad:

great little country though, if only they'd roof it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The love for my country will only return when the poison that is FF are removed from power once and for all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Well it's by no means a rainbow or a savage place to live... Just in comparison to other places. Even with that said, it's really not that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Please excuse me while I take a huge dump. Hopefully on some form of national symbol.

Also I love seeing tourists here.

1)They're shocked at the price of everything
    2)Weather is always terrible
    3)Junkies all over the city centre
    4)The public transport is "limited" and expensive
    5)Pints in temple bar taste like crap

But yet the 1% Irish keeps them coming back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There should be a pantomime about this;

"Ireland is a great"

"Oh no, it's not"

"Oh yes, it is"

etc.

Twink would have to be in it of course... she could play the part of Bad Mother Ireland - a bankrupt, raggedy oul hag, full of her own self importance & fake as a bag of plastic diamonds.

There should be a pantomime about this;

"Ireland is a great"

"Oh no, it's not"

"Oh yes, it is"

etc.

Twink would have to be in it of course... she could play the part of Bad Mother Ireland - a bankrupt, raggedy oul hag, full of her own self importance & fake as a bag of plastic diamonds.

Katy French could play The Celtic Tiger

• Advertisement

Oooh, nicely played - a hard, true ball just slightly above the belt. I like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Must..... resist...... joke....... about........dead....... pussy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Mosquitos have been over in Ireland for quite some time now. I think they came over to england in the tunnell from france a long time ago, if a news report i read along time ago is anything to go by. Though perhaps it was not a legit paper.

raah! wrote: »
    Mosquitos have been over in Ireland for quite some time now. I think they came over to england in the tunnell from france a long time ago, if a news report i read along time ago is anything to go by. Though perhaps it was not a legit paper.

That was fairly random.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

<3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Ireland and England are separate islands. Just thought you should know !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Yeah everyone loves this country thats why...
    THE number of Irish people being forced to emigrate to find work has hit a 20-year high, with the numbers edging towards the 30,000 level.

... but I'm sure they are only emigrating to tell everyone else how great our country is... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well compared to other countries Ireland is great. Like I'd rather live here then lets say.....Somalia

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

*incredulous* in many countries that is how we're perceived

• Advertisement

irish1967 wrote: »

They flew across the sea! It's shorter distance between these two isn't it?

Either way, mosquitoes (or however the singular or plural of the word is spelled) are at large.

The relevence was in the op saying mentioning those nasty insects in other countries. But we have mosquitoes, and they are definitely mosquitoes, they are leggy, they settle on you and pierce you with their nose.

I don't normally like to kill things, but I gladly murder every one of those fellows I see, even going so far as to hurt my own hands via vigourous clapping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Ok, I'm back now. That was a great dump, if I say so myself.

I suppose I see where you're coming from. Apart from a ****ty, inbred culture which manifests itself most visibily in our political system, the country isn't bad and could actually be great if a few major changes were made.

As you quite correctly point out, there are little or no natural disasters apart from a few flash floods and a mild snow storm once in a while. Crime is still pretty low in comparison to most EU nations, especially violent crime such as murder (around 50-60 per year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

they settle on you and pierce you with their nose.

Lol

They flew across the sea! It's shorter distance between these two isn't it?

Either way, mosquitoes (or however the singular or plural of the word is spelled) are at large.

The relevence was in the op saying mentioning those nasty insects in other countries. But we have mosquitoes, and they are definitely mosquitoes, they are leggy, they settle on you and pierce you with their nose.

I don't normally like to kill things, but I gladly murder every one of those fellows I see, even going so far as to hurt my own hands via vigourous clapping.

Should we buy maleria tablets?

irish1967 wrote: »

Maybe so, but at heart, we're all british & proud of it.

*awaits rant reply*

I'm sure they'll die by the winter. I'll not be made a laughing stock!

/fleas thread

Edit: Here is a magical thread on the matter, as new as 2009, after reading this you are bound to see some mosquitos. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=175110&page=2

• Advertisement

I'm sure they'll die by the winter. I'll not be made a laughing stock!

/fleas thread

Edit: Here is a magical thread on the matter, as new as 2009, after reading this you are bound to see some mosquitos. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=175110&page=2

Steve Irwin.....he's alive and on Boards :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Wait til these little fukcers grow up!

Think they might be refering to them hobo's in norn iron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Sykk wrote: »
    Seriously... There's been way too many threads here about how the place is ****, leaders, dole, weather and blablabla.

Whenever I find myself on sun holidays, they're great for a few weeks. The sweat, insects and bad food quickly makes me want to come home.

There's little to no natural disasters, read any legit newspaper and you'll see there's people dying of floods, landslides, famine, tsunami's and everything else that comes with it.

Pretty much no one goes hungry, there are few real homeless people and focus and the like do their best to keep them fed/clothed.

The dole may be shít but I sure as hell know most can still afford to have their food and their few pints every now and again.

While I certainly agree that Ireland is a good place to live (why else would I live here, after all?), I have to disagree on two counts :

1) There aren't many places on the planet where the food is actually worse than in Ireland

and

2) Natural disasters... Last year, Cork had just about managed to get dry before we went into deep-freeze for a month.
    Now, in most European countries, those temperatures would not have been an issue, or even unusual. Here, they did amount to a natural disaster. What roads weren't impassable because of the ice and snow where made impassable by people abandoning their cars in the middle of the road and walking home....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I love this country too.
    Thats why I'll be damned if I will go quietly into a corner and shut-up while its consistently ruined by gobschites ruining it by self-interest tactics.

If many didn't love their country, they wouldn't be out exposing injustice within it.

*incredulous* in many countries that is how we're perceived

Did it surprise you just as much as it did me how over-the-top outraged people here suddenly are when Brian Cowen helps Jay Leno to play on that stereotype?

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    1) There aren't many places on the planet where the food is actually worse than in Ireland

Bacon and Cabbage or a good stew...the food of champions!!!

kfallon wrote: »
    Bacon and Cabbage or a good stew...the food of champions!!!

Wait... I know... I think I get this one....
    It makes you stink so bad that any competition will run for the hills, leaving you the winner by default?

Clever....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

If you love your country you shouldn't love this or the culture that led to it (damn picture won't work).

http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/celebrity-pictures-joker-bailout.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

tis all true I tells ya. there are some right ****holes out there;)

the food of peasants u mean - boil absolutely everything ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

In Ireland we have...

Negatives

Corrupt Politicians that have spent our hard earned taxes on banks.

Average to sub par women with egos the size of a supermodels(or worse)

Crap weather

A high knife crime/junkie culture

The worst in ripped off T.V( Irish apprentice, Irish dragons den etc)

U2

High Unemployment

Positives

A Country with no enemies (sure everyone loves Ireland)

Good social surroundings and traditional culture (although that is evaporating fast)

Great national sports

Some of the most down to earth people in the World

In Ireland we have...

Negatives

Corrupt Politicians that have spent our hard earned taxes on banks.

Average to sub par women with egos the size of a supermodels(or worse)

Crap weather

A high knife crime/junkie culture

The worst in ripped off T.V( Irish apprentice, Irish dragons den etc)

U2

High Unemployment

Positives

A Country with no enemies (sure everyone loves Ireland)

Good social surroundings and traditional culture (although that is evaporating fast)

Great national sports

Some of the most down to earth people in the World

plus the 'wonderful smart economy...

http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/fury-as-unqualified-teachers-get-legal-right-to-give-classes-2357107.html

Advertisement