Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chun Li Ultra

Options
  • 29-09-2010 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Interested in everyone's opinions on this one, not just Chun players. She is so popular that everyone has lots of experience with or against her.

Which is your preferred Ultra for Chun? Hosenka or Kikosho.

I know Hosenka does more damage, and is great against shoto's, but I think it has less practical applications. U2 is the easiest ultra to land in the game imo, but it is pathetically weak. I know all the setups for both, but the value in cr short x2 xx ex legs > ultra is tough to pass up. Hosenka can only do that if you're relatively close to the corner.

Thoughts?

Preferred Ultra 11 votes

U1 - Hosenka
    0% 0 votes
    U2 - Kikosho
    27% 3 votes
    Option 3 - I don't care
    72% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

All Chun players should pick Kikosho (U2) always, no matter what the matchup.
    Always U2, facto.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

ofcourse U2 is much easier to execute and it connects regardless of position,
    easiest example, catch some one in the air with HP HP, then easily do ultra 2.
    also df.lk to u2

U1 obviously requires you to charge so you need to act different for dash ultra, or ultra after sbk, where your charge breaks if you go from down to up, AFAIK, not too sure. You also need to be in the corner, even then it doesnt connect with all characters.

U1 i feel is best against shotos and dalhism
    also hondas, but hondas i play dont headbutt because theyre ****, i mean cause theyre paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Playing against Chun as a Shoto, I'm scared of either one.

Ultra 2 is nasty when your caught by legs, or launcher or her jumping punch which locks down my aerial game.
    And then ultra one stops my fireballs.
    Overall i think Ultra 2 is better. People like Farz should stick to it for EZ mode wins.

Ohh just found out chuns EX SBK is punishable by Kens U2 on block. Result

find out all you want buddy, you'll still get mashed ex legs to the face.

also this is you blocking
    Chun-Li_SF_EX_Plus_Alpha--article_image.jpg
    missed, did ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I'm gonna safe jump the S**T outa you next time and bait those SBK's.
    Anyway once the seed of doubt is planted in your fragile mind that they are unsafe your fecked:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

U1 makes any Chun Li match I have a complete pain, but on the whole I still eat far more U2's because of the cheer ease she can link it.
    Definitely U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Kikosho is in a commanding lead as I would have predicted. DooM favours the Hosenka IIRC from the last Munster meet though.

From my perspective, U2 is much easier to land, and while U1 shuts down headbutt, blanka ball and many projectiles, it's still not going to be landed as consistently as U2.

Once you have U2 and one bar of meter, the opponent knows that if you land a Cr.lk, they they are eating an Ultra. That is worth a lot.

On a slightly different note, is there a better super in the game than Senretsukyaku?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

against Blanka U1 always!!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

I think Kikosho because it looks cool when you catch people with it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The real answer is she's one of the few characters in SSF4 who has 2 viable ultras and it comes down to personal opinion of a match up.

Personally I use Hosenka much more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Doom said it. Ultra choice is based on matchup. U2 is viable in more matchups than U1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

What Doom said.

It's totally match up specific and can be changed based on the player you're facing.

In general I pick something along the lines of :
    U1 - Sagat; Blanka; Honda; Boxer; Akuma; Adon; Dictator

Offhand that would be it for Hosenka, everyone else gets U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Orim wrote: »
    What Doom said.

It's totally match up specific and can be changed based on the player you're facing.

In general I pick something along the lines of :
    U1 - Sagat; Blanka; Honda; Boxer; Akuma; Adon; Dictator

Offhand that would be it for Hosenka, everyone else gets U2.

Why Adon?

The real answer is she's one of the few characters in SSF4 who has 2 viable ultras and it comes down to personal opinion of a match up.

Personally I use SONIC BOOMS much much much much much more. totally

fixed your post man, that was a massive typo.
    At least her ultras dont chip that much

GorySnake wrote: »
    Why Adon?

Pretty much punishes all of his specials especially the off the wall. Soon as he hits the wall, bang out a U1 and you'll hit any strength of it with full animation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Pretty much punishes all of his specials especially the off the wall. Soon as he hits the wall, bang out a U1 and you'll hit any strength of it with full animation

Whuuuuah? Surely an ultra only has one strength? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Yep. I played a chun that caught me everyone I jaguar toothed so def U1 for adon.
    Just realised Hosenka is best too for rose. Cuts her fireballs and reflect out.
    U2 for guile though still unless u can predict a sonic boom and dash ultra it!.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

BanjoB wrote: »
    Just realised Hosenka is best too for rose. Cuts her fireballs and reflect out.
    Oh God yes. Unless the opponent is bad on reactions she cant do anything from full screen.
    Having said that, I often do all my damage to Chun Li at close range anyway - U1 does let Chun Li set the pace of the match though and does basically take away half of Rose's options.

At the risk of sounding utterly contradictory though, U2 has directly cost me more matches through pure free damage compared to U1 limiting my options.

Sairus wrote: »
    Oh God yes. Unless the opponent is bad on reactions she cant do anything from full screen.
    Having said that, I often do all my damage to Chun Li at close range anyway - U1 does let Chun Li set the pace of the match though and does basically take away half of Rose's options.

At the risk of sounding utterly contradictory though, U2 has directly cost me more matches through pure free damage compared to U1 limiting my options.

See, this is exactly what I mean. Is there really a clear-cut answer? U1 is great for limiting options, but U2 is free. If you get U2 there is probably an 80% chance you'll find a way to land it. I can't say the same for U1.

The fact that we can have this discussion really answers the question. As a few posters have pointed out, both are viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

See, this is exactly what I mean. Is there really a clear-cut answer? U1 is great for limiting options, but U2 is free. If you get U2 there is probably an 80% chance you'll find a way to land it. I can't say the same for U1.

The fact that we can have this discussion really answers the question. As a few posters have pointed out, both are viable.

It really comes down to U1 = if.
    U2 = when.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

BanjoB wrote: »
    It really comes down to U1 = if.
    U2 = when.

I often wonder at this argument, I've heard it made a couple of times about a couple of things. I don't think it's that simple!

Chun's U1 changes the metagame for several characters. Chun's U2 doesn't at all, you still try to block the same stuff you block anyway.

Sometimes the threat of a move is it's most important feature. U2 doesn't do enough damage for it to be a good bet in those match ups, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I prefer it when my opponent picks ultra 2. Dash Ultra one is a complete pain and gives me spacing headaches.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

If you're even considering U2 in the Honda match-up, you are completely and utterly mad! Not being allowed to headbutt anymore < losing a bit of health

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    If you're even considering U2 in the Honda match-up, you are completely and utterly mad! Not being allowed to headbutt anymore < losing a bit of health

U2 punishes medium and heavy headbutt.

Still U1 all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

how much damage does a half charged u2 do? also cant you get 3 of them in a round?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Chun's Ultra 2 fully charge damage does 330 points.

A barely charged ultra 2 will neat her about 60%-65% of its damage.

So your talking about 195-220 damage raw. Just to that into context, the average characters health is 1000 points.

However ultra's are never landed raw (not outside or random wake up ultra's)so you have to factor in damage scaling both from combo's and on top of that your opponents health which also effects the damage your moves do.

Chun getting 2 ultra 2 each a round isn't that uncommon. Most likely she will only end up with one, but it would be very rare for her to get 3 of them. She would have to focus attack alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Azza wrote: »
    However ultra's are never landed raw (not outside or random wake up ultra's)

Completely untrue, reaction ultras are common and are neither of the above.

As for Chun's ultras, they're both good and it's matchup specific imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Bisons ultra 2 is always raw. Just sayin :p. And sims ultra 1. and 2. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Kirby wrote: »
    Bisons ultra 2 is always raw. Just sayin :p. And sims ultra 1. and 2. :p

Bisons U2 isn't always raw, can combo from jumping mp. But anyway, Dreddy is right, loads of ultras have situational reactionary uses, like between the hits of Guiles sweep, unsafe jumps, a blocked Ryu sweep etc etc etc...

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Completely untrue, reaction ultras are common and are neither of the above.

As for Chun's ultras, they're both good and it's matchup specific imo.

Indeed, whiffed shoryuken punish ftw.

U2 can punish a lot of stuff on reaction.

Advertisement