Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool Family Traditions

• 29-09-2010 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hey, read about one family getting up to mega early and going up the Dublin mountains to watch the sunrise with flasks of tea every single New Year's Day. Even when the kids grew up and were hungover/just home from the night before they would still do it as a family. I thought that was really great. Can't think of any interesting ones my family had when I was growing up - except that we couldn't open our Santa presents on Christmas morning until after Mass! Would love to start one up with my partner and son but need ideas! I know the ones I mentioned were Christmasy ones but any time of the year will do :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Ah thats a nice one, wouldn't have fancied it last year though, freezing!

My fave tradition is Christmassy too but we did it every single year - I think a lot of people do. Everyone gets a bath on Christmas Eve, brand new PJ's, a lovely happy film, roaring fire and a hot chocolate. I've carried it on with my own kids and they love it.

If its your birthday the presents get hid all around the house and garden and you have to find them with a handmade map that all the others help make, thats great fun with the little ones, my partner gets peed off though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not sure how cool it is, but we have one where we all play golf. This would be my Dads side of the family, his cousins and their family additions. It came from the fact that we only ever saw each other at funerals, so not the best of times. This has now allowed us get to know each other without having to focus on a specific topic (for lack of a better term). I think its cool though, its been 7 years already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Ah thats a nice one, wouldn't have fancied it last year though, freezing!

My fave tradition is Christmassy too but we did it every single year - I think a lot of people do. Everyone gets a bath on Christmas Eve, brand new PJ's, a lovely happy film, roaring fire and a hot chocolate. I've carried it on with my own kids and they love it.

If its your birthday the presents get hid all around the house and garden and you have to find them with a handmade map that all the others help make, thats great fun with the little ones, my partner gets peed off though :pac:

Oh the bath new PJs and all that was our Christmas eve tradition too! Still feel warm and fuzzy thinking about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Going to the "xmas house" in Artane on xmas eve! :) its covered in fairylights, xmas music and santas, snowmen etc! really gets me in the xmas mood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Wow I love the PJs and bath and movie tradition.... I am officaly going to start that with my son this year!

Our (rather cringe) tradition in the last 5 years or so, is that our Mam makes me and my three siblings get a group picture on Stephens night when we are ready to go out in our new gladrags!

Its so cringe as we are all in our early to mid 20s and the picture is always taken in the same chair/corner, every year!! So our mam has 5 or 6 pictures which look very similar with the xmas tree in the back!! haha

My partners tradition growing up was always that they got their Santa pressies on Christmas Eve before bed. (This was because their Dad always worked nights on Christmas eve until 12 on Xmas day. Every year him and his siblings exchange gifts on this day and every year he tries to get me to give him mine, but I refuse! (haha I guess thats OUR tradition!) Christmas Day is the day for presents imo!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

Another Christmas one here - on christmas day me, my four brothers & brother in law do a puck fada back the fields up to a big hill where my grandad planted a sycamore tree. My dad is referees it & keeps the score. We have a plaque & even have a handicap in operation for the fellas that dont play hurling. Its great craic & pretty much the only thing we do as a family. My sister usually does a video & she does interviews before and after. They make great entertainment years after, especially one year when it was snowing. Have two nephews so hopefully in a couple of years they will be part of it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

krazyklown wrote: »
    Another Christmas one here - on christmas day me, my four brothers & brother in law do a puck fada back the fields up to a big hill where my grandad planted a sycamore tree. My dad is referees it & keeps the score. We have a plaque & even have a handicap in operation for the fellas that dont play hurling. Its great craic & pretty much the only thing we do as a family. My sister usually does a video & she does interviews before and after. They make great entertainment years after, especially one year when it was snowing. Have two nephews so hopefully in a couple of years they will be part of it too.

That sound brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

This isn't a Christmas Family Tradition - but here goes -

We never got a proper dinner on a Saturday but we always had a huge fry at tea time
    (6:00 ish). I loved the smell of sausies and bacon before sitting down to watch the Generation Game. And if one of the family were bringing home a new girlfriend/boyfriend it was alway for the fry on a Saturday evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

In our house, we always make a big fuss of my parent's wedding anniversary- which is actually today! We give them loads of pressies, have a big family meal at the weekend and a session with beers and music that night! We don't celebrate Christmas (religious reasons) so this was always a family day for us. We're all in our 20's/ 30's now but there's still nothing better than the family getting together for pressies and a session! Most of my friends struggle to remember their parent's wedding anniversary so I love that it's such a big deal in my house.

Another routine/ tradition was that every time one of us started playschool/ primary school/ secondary school or college we got a present for our first day. We also get presents when we were discharged if we have had to stay in hospital.

I always remember my ma always getting jam doughnuts when she went into town when we were kids, which wasn't often. Even now when I see the greasy brown bag I think of the excitement of getting a treat when my ma was in town!

Ah, that was a nice trip down memory lane :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

krazyklown wrote: »

What a lovely tradition. You've really made me smile reading that :)
    Hey, read about one family getting up to mega early and going up the Dublin mountains to watch the sunrise with flasks of tea every single New Year's Day. Even when the kids grew up and were hungover/just home from the night before they would still do it as a family. I thought that was really great. Can't think of any interesting ones my family had when I was growing up - except that we couldn't open our Santa presents on Christmas morning until after Mass! Would love to start one up with my partner and son but need ideas! I know the ones I mentioned were Christmasy ones but any time of the year will do :)

That's so nice. God the last thing you want to do on New Years Day is get up at that hour and go out in the cold but I bet they wouldn't miss it for the world :)

Christmas Eve. Going to midnight mass, coming home where we all stand in the kitchen and I light the candle (apparently the youngest should light the candle?) and we all sit there and say a little prayer. I'm not overly religious but it's always a special moment for me. My parents are getting on in age now and I cherish that moment every year wondering if there's many left.

• Advertisement
Advertisement