Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Transport

Options
  • 29-09-2010 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi guys, I've been Googling around for a while and can't seem to find much on the subject. I'll be arriving in Letterkenny in the next couple of days via bus, and need to get to Ballybofey (more specifically Welshtown, but they're only 5 minutes apart).

Long story short, the next bus heading in that direction with Bus Eireann isn't until several hours after my original bus gets in. Is their any regional services that could get me out their faster?

It sounds a little like nit picking, but I'm making this journey from Waterford. Thats 7 hours already spent travelling before my feet touch Donegal soil, so I'm REALLY keen to shave off that couple of hours waiting.

Failing that, if theirs no such public transport, does anyway know the number of a good Hackney service in Letterkenny?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,083 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Which route are you taking from Waterford - Dublin to Letterkenny is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ferdiaob

muffler wrote: »
    Which route are you taking from Waterford - Dublin to Letterkenny is it?

Yes indeed, I'm concidering overnighting in Dublin, that way I can be in Letterkenny around 10. The next bus going through Ballybufey isnt until about 1130 though, thats the bridge I want to gap.

If you are taking the 6:15 AM bus from Dublin then you will be in Lifford at 9:45 according to the timetable. There is a bus from Lifford to Ballybofey at 9:54

As far as I know the local buses are run partly in conjunction with the arrival and departure times of the express services to Dublin. A quick phone call to the Stranorlar office of Bus Eireann ((074)9131008 should confirm the details

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Thats cutting it mighty short if there is heavy traffic, would an idea be for going fot John McGinley from Dublin? i Can't look up the timetable here at work but www.johnmcginley.com will get you there, I know there is a nightline service from Letterkenny to Ballybofey but i think that only runs at night for clubs etc. The bus eireann station would have more info (number in Mufflers post)

A Taxi would be around 30 quid maybe more, might be better off having a pint when you are waiting the hour help you chill and relax.

Another way would be look up Feda O Donnell as the buses go from Letterkenny to galway through Ballybofey. If you again time the leaving of dublin right you could cut down your waiting times. You haven't said what day you are travelling so can't be sure that would work though as they only run 2-4 times a day depending

muffler wrote: »
    If you are taking the 6:15 AM bus from Dublin then you will be in Lifford at 9:45 according to the timetable. There is a bus from Lifford to Ballybofey at 9:54

As far as I know the local buses are run partly in conjunction with the arrival and departure times of the express services to Dublin. A quick phone call to the Stranorlar office of Bus Eireann ((074)9131008 should confirm the details

Looks like it'll be a pint while I wait. John McGuinley doesnt make its first run until 945 unfortunitely. What I think I'll do is see if we get to Lifford for 9:45. If we do I'll jump off and get the bus to Ballybofey. If not I'll spin on to Letterkenny and see if they know how to pour a decent Guinness :). Either way I'll give them a bell tomorrow and ask.

Thanks for all youre help gents. Ill post back with how it went.

• Advertisement

Muffer saved the day :)

Thanks to the Lifford trick I shaved 3 hours off of the round trip. Now I'll be back in Waterford at 9 instead of 12.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions though. You're all the best!

ferdiaob wrote: »
    Muffer saved the day :)
    It's a regular occurrence that ;)

Advertisement