Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hike suggestions Leinster area

Options
  • 29-09-2010 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just started getting back into hiking over the summer. So far I've only gone up around Glendalough a few times, mainly the one where you start off from the carpark and do a complete circuit up through the forest around the lakes coming back down through the miners village.

Really impressed with the setup, i.e sleepers laid out on routes etc so looking for something similar elsewhere. Would like to get a bit more adventurous myself but introducing others to it at a gentle pace so suggestions for good scenic hikes where there's not too much chance of getting lost would be really appreciated.

I'm based on the northside of Dublin but going down to Wicklow isn't a problem. Was also thinking of heading northwards, I've heard that the hike around Carlingford is a good one. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

That sounds like the spink - great walk. The following are all available from the glendalough car park:

1. A circuit where you follow the same route but head left and head up over such peaks as lugduff and derrybawn etc. Great views of the lug massif.

2. St kevin's way is another option from here.

3. Brockagh mountain and paddock hill.

Or head a bit further south to Glenmalure and explore Art's and Kellys loughs and climb Lug and so on.

I've also been spending a lot of time this year in Kildare, exploring the area from Donedea to Robertstown and Milltown. Beautiful walks here and quiet - but very flat of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

See you mentioned Carlingford and for me, it's hard to beat Slieve Foye on a good day. As far as I know, there's an organised climb that starts from the Tourist office in town early each Saturday. I would recommend returning by the same route as the descent down into the forest can be tricky. Some info at:

http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/?p=92

A bit more travelling will bring you to the Mournes and the myriad of walking options that they provide. There are a number of walks of varying difficulty there that have pretty decent tracks (Donard from Newcastle, Slevelamangan, Batt's wall up to Eagle/Shanlieve for example)..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Cheers for the replies guys.

@dogmatix that hike around Glenmalure looks interesting. Is this the one you mean? http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=658433

@paulocon yeah I've heard off a guy I work with that the views from the top can be breathtaking on a nice day. This is the route I've found so far -> http://www.mapmyhike.com/hike/ireland/carlingford/809124081708582505

Is that the one you hike?

Thanks again, and any more suggestions more than welcome. Trying to wean the mates off late Saturday nights and hungover Sundays so the more options the better ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

DamoKen wrote: »
    @paulocon yeah I've heard off a guy I work with that the views from the top can be breathtaking on a nice day. This is the route I've found so far -> http://www.mapmyhike.com/hike/ireland/carlingford/809124081708582505

Is that the one you hike?

That's a bit longer than the normal up/down hike - ground can be a bit rougher over that way but the views are superb across to the Mournes. A pretty straightforward hike is to start at Carlingford, head up to Barnavave then across to Slieve Foye before heading back down to Carlingford. A bit of backtracking over the gap but a nice walk nonetheless. Thinking of taking a run up that way on Saturday so if I do, I can send you on the GPS trace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

paulocon wrote: »
    That's a bit longer than the normal up/down hike - ground can be a bit rougher over that way but the views are superb across to the Mournes. A pretty straightforward hike is to start at Carlingford, head up to Barnavave then across to Slieve Foye before heading back down to Carlingford. A bit of backtracking over the gap but a nice walk nonetheless. Thinking of taking a run up that way on Saturday so if I do, I can send you on the GPS trace.

thanks for that Paul, might be a dumb question but how would I use the GPS trace? Have a satnav for the car & some GPS apps on my phone but not sure if you're talking about something specific here? Sounds interesting though, would be nice to be able to record the route taken, mileage etc

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

lots here to keep you going and good details

http://www.wicklowwalks.com/

DamoKen wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies guys.

@dogmatix that hike around Glenmalure looks interesting. Is this the one you mean? http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=658433

Not quite - that route up lug misses both loughs. Arts lough is well hidden in a hollow. It's possible to get to lug via Art's and maybe come back down the rock glen (identified by the north part of the route on the map). Arts lough is the small body of water in the middle of the route map.

Another possibility is Bray head - easy to get to from the M50/M11, lots of parking over by the harbour and a great walk up and over Bray head, returning by windgates and the cliff walk. Between 2-3 hours. Or over four hours if you extend the walk to Greystones and back. Fantastic views, plunging heights to the sea and the sea air of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 macd

You might get a few ideas from the website irishtrails.ie
    There is a couty trail search function on this site which lists waymarked walking routes in every county.
    Might be worth checking out..
    For sure, there is excellent walking options in the Cooley muntains with the Tain Way and other developed walks.. the staff in the tourist office in Carlingford are also fairly helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

If you have the use of two cars a great walk in Carlingford is to drive one car ten minutes or so out of town and park at the Windy Gap. From here you can ascend to the ridge, walking along it before reaching the summit and descending back down to the gap and into town. No backtracking required...and less climbing.

Here's a map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=112383598824410487711.00048481eeacac23ce0a6&t=p&z=13

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

There's plenty of alternative routes in Glendalough, combining the red and white routes and diverting up Mullacor is a lovely one.

Last right turn before Glendalough brings you up to the Wicklow Gap, park up there and you can do Tonlagee, Or up Sally Gap from Laragh, park at Glenmacnas waterfall and same mountain from the other side.

Crone wood carpark past the Powerscourt Waterfall gives you a few good routes up around Maulin and Djouce.

Park up byt he scout centre in Lough Dan and do the loop of Kanturk, Scar and several options about looping back around to the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Pplsgod

Check out www.mountainviews.ie for loads of interesting walks and variations - you can sign up for free

Have you considered joining a club at all? There are loads of clubs that walk weekly in the Dublin / Wicklow mountains if you decide to get a little more adventurous. If you are interested see www.clubcualann.ie for more info.

We do welcome walks on the 2nd Sunday of each month aimed at welcoming new members, perfect for bringing your friends along and getting off the marked trails. They are generally not too strenuous

If you are heading North then I would definately recommend the Mourne Mountains. The Slieve Donard carpark in Newcastle is a great starting place and there are some excellent walks around the forestry there to keep you interested.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

There's a lovely simple hike from the Glendalough upper car park, up Derrybawn, over Mullacor and home via the Spink which you already know. Very hard to go wrong and some of the best views in Wicklow. About 13k or so.

Or from the visitors car park, turn left on the“green road” (this is the quiet option – most people turn right to head towards the lakes and monastic village) and further down turn right onto a forest road that heads up and then around Derrybawn. The track here has great views south towards the lakes and eventually joins up at the head of the waterfall. From here you can head up Derrybawn, the spinc or head down the waterfall and back to the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Oh and if you want a beautiful walk then park at the Pier Gates and do Lugalla. You can also walk around Lough Dan from there. You really can't get lost.

Advertisement