Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

city bin or barna waste

Options
  • 29-09-2010 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

hey there. have just moved into a new apartment and have to get the bin collection sorted. im not sure who to go for. i was told to try barna waste because its just one set fee for the year(roughly 260euro for the 3 bins). i know city bin weigh the rubbish so its hard to know if they will work out cheaper or not. has anyone used either of these companies and how do ye rate them. to be honest i would rather have one less bill coming in every month so barna is soundin a bit better but still i would like to know. thanks amy

theres only 2 of us sharing house aswell so its not like we would have loads of rubbish every week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hey Amy,

Citybin def. There was three of us sharing a house (one didnt even know what recycling is!) and we paid about 15 a month which works out at 180 a year. I prefer to pay by month as I cannot afford to pay out that much once a year.

I found their customer service very good as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

City Bin.
    They are really professional and efficient.
    Paying buy weight will actually cost you less over the year, as you will not be producing much refuse. This will work out less than an annual fee if you use Barna Waste.
    I phoned them and set up an account paying by Laser, and my bins were outside as promised 3 days later. I have never had a problem with City Bins. They even text you the night before collection, to remind you which colour bins to put out.
    They are a well run business.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

thanks! tilly girl was that 15euro in total per month or 15 euro each?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There is another provider - Galway City Council
    Standing charge: €159
    Brown bin €0.05 per kg, Green bin €0.08 per kg, Grey bin €0.19 per kg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Roughly 15 in total for the month so €5 for each of us a month. Really found them very good to deal with. The reminder txt is very helpful too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'd recommend The by weight option for City Bin. Have no direct experience of Barna Waste. AFAIK City Bin offer both flat fee and by weight. It actually encourages you to recycle more as their recycling and brown bin (if you don't compost) are virtually free, maybe a tenner a year I think. Our bill per anum is around 150

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭left_behind

I use city bin and find them very professional and cheap. bins for a month between 15 and 18 euro depending on weight they send you an email breaking your bill down and how much you recycled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

City Bin, pay by weight, most amazing service I've dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

City bin are great; just all round great. Text reminder is fantastic also; would be lost without it. They have a collection almost every week also, even around Christmas time; you deffo don't get service like it with GCC.

No personal experience of Barna waste but a friend living in Oranmore is with them. Their service is fine but they have to bring their bin ages down the road for collection and don't get a text reminder either. The collection point is obviously a country thing but they find it awkward and they regualrly forget to put the bin out as no text reminder. Cost wise I have no idea what they pay. I'm not pay by weight with City Bin but it's only 19euro a month anyway.

City bin for the win I reckon.

City Bin by far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I pay €23.14 per calander month (€277.68 per annum) with Citybin, with no weight restrictions (there were 6 of us in the house for a few years, and I never got around to changing it). The text reminder is very handy.

Because my bins are at the front of the house they will pull them out if I forget to leave them out. Galway Corporation NEVER did that when we were with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

+1 for Citybin

Cheap, efficient, good lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

wow thanks everyone for your replies . city bin wins hands down by the looks of it. i just signed up to city bin there tonight so hopefully will all go grand now. thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

City Bin is an excellent company. In a recent customer survey they scored 100% in satisfactory rating which is almost impossible to achieve! They collect on Bank Holidays as well and are so reliable. They recently went into the Home heating oil market too, must check that out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Sorry to drag up an old-ish thread, but I figured I should ask here rather than create a new thread.

I was on the City Bin Company website and looked for the collection service timetable. It opened a PDF but it didn't have any collection details on it. Could someone tell me when and what bins they pick up on Doughiska Road?

Drop them an email - they'll reply either that day or the next. They'll be more than happy to reply and to drop off a collection schedule. They did it for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I found the schedule for my area here
    http://www.citybin.com/cms/index.php?page=choose-location

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

biko wrote: »

That's where I tried to get it for Doughiska Road, but it just shows up blank.

Drop them an email - they'll reply either that day or the next. They'll be more than happy to reply and to drop off a collection schedule. They did it for us.

That's what I'll probably do, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Apologies in advance for dragging up an old thread but it's better than starting a new one I think.

I need to sign up for a bin contract for the first time and unfortunately City Bin don't collect in my area so my choice is between the City Council and Barna Waste. Unfortunately Barna Waste seemingly doesn't offer pay by weight and only offers two bins (no compost). I don't expect our volumes of rubbish to be that high so I'd probably pay less if I use the Council and can pay by weight. So my question is, how good/bad are the customer service levels in both of those organisations? I'd prefer to pay more to Barna Waste if the Council is going to as bad at dealing with customers as some public sector organisations can be but I don't want to just assume it will be that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

Hi,
    We use the Council and have had no problems at all.

The service seems to work fine to us and we have always simply left the bins out and they come back empty!

The bills are annual and by weight and have always seemed pretty good value.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

With City Council for refuse collection for years and no issues.

The bills aren't annual, they are issued 3 times a year - in Jan, May & Sept. Bills are 53 Euro plus weight. We segregate carefully and bills are usually around the 65 Euro mark for 2 adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Thank you dollybird2 and carmex21 for your insight. I tried to sign up with the Council but they wanted a signature from the property owner accepting responsibility for the bins and undertaking that they would be used properly. They also wanted the form to be submitted by post. I figured that if I was responsible enough to sign a one year lease on a house I was responsible enough to look after three plastic containers and put my empty milk cartons in the correct bin without another adult having to vouch for me so I stopped right there and called Barna Waste instead. I was all set after a five minute phone call and was pleasantly surprised to find that they had just started dealing with compost wheelie bins now too. It took a few days for the bins to be delivered as I ordered just ahead of the holiday weekend but other than that it has been a pain free experience.

It's crazy that with the Council screwing local businesses for unrealistic rate charges that they should be turning away potential revenue by making it so unattractive for people to sign up for their bin services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bluenilefan

Barna Waste are rubbish! Really... Recently signed up with them as I wanted small bins but twice they have forgotten to empty the recycling bin... I was with Citybin and found them fantastic but I wasted small bins because of my small garden so signed up with Barna Waste. Am wondering has anyone else had problems with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Read the charter bullet 8.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement