Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry recipes

Options
  • 29-09-2010 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

With blackberries in abundance at the moment, just wondering what interesting recipes/uses people have done with blackberries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

my kids love berry crumble.

Whack your berries in a oven proof dish, mix equal parts flour and butter in a processor or rub through your fingers, bung in some porridge oats, a bit of sugar and in the oven for 20 mins. Brown it off under the grill after if you want it golden.

I tend to mix in apples or pears stewed in apple juice and a bit of cinnamon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Black berry pie was always my favourite as a kid.....or they are yummy in porridge, or with yogurt, or with custard, or on their own, or mixed with cream for the filling in a sponge cake or in pancakes, or in a smoothie or in muffins......oh hell they go great with everything!! :D

Not sure about any savory ideas though! Am sure they must go well with some meat or other?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 notnigella

I'm using them to make my own bramble liquer. Can't tell you if it will be successful until Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I freeze them on trays, then bag them up and have them for mixing with apples in crumble or adding to my morning porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Blackberry mousse :)

The following is a Rachel Allen recipe. I'm going to try it out myself this weekend.

Ingredients

450g (1lb) blackberries, plus extra to decorate (optional)
    110g (4oz) caster sugar
    1 rounded tsp powdered gelatine
    300ml (1/2 pint) double or regular cream

Method

This is a gorgeous autumnal dessert with a wonderful pink colour. It's also a great excuse to go out foraging for blackberries! Shortbread biscuits are the perfect accompaniment.
    Place the blackberries in a large saucepan and add the sugar and 2 tablespoons of water. Cook over a low heat for 10-12 minutes or until the blackberries are soft.

Pour the blackberries into a large sieve set over a bowl and push through all the liquefied fruit that you can, leaving the seeds in the sieve.
    Remember to scrape the underside of the sieve too and add this into the purée in the bowl.
    Pour 1 tablespoon of water into a small bowl, sprinkle over the powdered gelatine and set aside for 5 minutes.
    Pour the blackberry purée into a saucepan and add the soaked gelatine. Stir the syrup over a low heat for 2-3 minutes or until the gelatine has dissolved.

In a separate bowl, whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks, then gently fold in the purée.
    Pour into a serving bowl, pretty glasses or, if you have them, old-fashioned tea cups.
    Cover with cling film and chill overnight or for 2-3 hours until set. You could sprinkle a few blackberries on top just before serving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭royan

notnigella wrote: »
    I'm using them to make my own bramble liquer.
    I want to try this one - can you divulge your recipe? The birds are getting a lot of them at the moment, but there's so many that it's hard not to feel it's a waste not to try things with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,502 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tazz T wrote: »
    my kids love berry crumble.

Whack your berries in a oven proof dish, mix equal parts flour and butter in a processor or rub through your fingers, bung in some porridge oats, a bit of sugar and in the oven for 20 mins. Brown it off under the grill after if you want it golden.

I tend to mix in apples or pears stewed in apple juice and a bit of cinnamon.

Last year I made jam, this year I made a couple of big crumbles and they went down very well! I used a Jamie Oliver recipe (got to hand it to him, he has done us all a big favour making very simple, very good recipes):

Put 700g of cleaned blackberries and chopped skinned apples in a dish and sprinkle with 5 tablespoons of brown soft sugar. Stir it all together with your hands.

In a foodprocessor, mix 300g plain flour, 170g butter and 135g soft brown sugar and a pinch of salt until it looks like breadcrumbs. Spread this on top of the fruit and put in the fan oven at 190c for about 25 minutes (until golden brown). Serves 10. Serve hot with plain vanilla ice cream.

Cheap, cheerful, tasty, wholesome, quick -> winner!!!

Advertisement