Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing me garden

Options
  • 29-09-2010 2:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Moved into a new house a couple months ago, the time has come to kill the nasty garden the builders left us with, rubble an' all, rotovate it and start again. So, what's the cheapest and easiest way of killing it, without killing everything else in the vicinity obviously?

The chap in my local (agricultural) Dairygold Co-op Shop recommended 1l of "Nettle Ban" and 5l of "Rotate"(?) but he's used to dealing with farmers and those are the smallest quanties he has.

Garden is about - and that's /very/ about - 150m square.

Thanks,
    adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mickward

"Round-up" weed killer or you can get any brand with Glyphosphate in it, there should be 360ml glyphosphate per litre as a guidline, apply it at a rate of around 20ml per litre of water. it will take about 2 weeks to work its magic, but it is in my opinion the best out there.

Hope this helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks mickward. I actually just bought one of those pump action Roundup things based on some reading here, but now I'm wondering about the time of year. I want to rotovate too, is it ok to kill the existing garden off, rotovate and plant at this time of year, or would I be better off waiting until spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Depends on how mild weather remains, but up to end Oct should be doable. Expect herbicide to take longer than the usual 7 days to kill off material.

Weather at present is ideal!:)

Advertisement