Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gasice community involvement

Options
  • 29-09-2010 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi I'm doing the gaisce this year as part of my ty and I've yet to find something community related for that part of the gaisce. Can someone please give me a course or something that I can join.? Like a first aid course or somthin of the sorts. Anything is appreciated, cheers:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tictaksrawk

Basically any form of volunteering, doing Tidy Towns, helping a charity or anything like that would count. Coaching a local sports team, or helping with Special Olympics. Or you could do a course in lifesaving or first aid. Ask around see what's available in your area :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Join a school choir or something. That counts because you are getting involved in your school community. I'm doing maths club (tutoring 2nd years in maths) and instructing beginners in my sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Would teaching the guitar to people for free count? The two people I'd be teaching are friends, but it's still me sharing a skill with the community for free, which should count, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

For mine I'm helping with Special Olympics athletics. Not sure about teaching guitar but I know some one who is teach badminton, but that's with a local club, so I guess who'd just have to check it out first?
    My friends are working in either the school library or shop, or in some cases doing things like reading for the elderly or helping with stuff like meals on wheels...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Thataone wrote: »
    I guess who'd just have to check it out first?

Yeah, I'll talk to the PAL about it. When are we supposed to start? She's collected our applications but since then we've kind of been left hanging and it's been put to the back of my mind..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

I did it last year, just ask a club or a local hospital or gp and see what they have to offer you. Just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭clairek6

volunteer in your local charity shop? or join the civil defence/ st.johns ambulance etc ?:)

Advertisement