Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking up Ruger 10/22 rifle what is the best scope for it?

Options
  • 29-09-2010 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi

Any help with this.

Picking up Ruger 10/22 rifle what is the best scope for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Very dependant on budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

demonloop wrote: »
    Very dependant on budget.

Well budget is a big issue. But it is only a .22.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I use a fixed 4x scope on my .22 but some guys prefer to have vari-mag scopes.
    on a .22 a 3-9x 40 would be plenty of scope IMHO.
    I like the firefly reticle on the Bushnell scopes for it's simplicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

what's it for - field or target - what range?

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I use a 3-9x40mm on my deer hunting rifle and a 6.5-20x50mm on varmints. Big magnification is for small targets - you get one shot and they're gone. Small magnification is for big targets as you may get a follow up shot.

In reality, I rarely go past 6x for deer. Truth be told, a fixed 4x is enough for me to engage deer.

Given that you have a 22lr, I would recommend a small bell - 30mm or less. If you scope in at 50ya, you'll probably be off by inches at 100ya.

Thus, you will want a scope that almost sits on the barrel. The bigger bells do gather more light, but they take your line of sight further off of the barrel which requires more more adjusting to get the intersection point of the line of sight and bullet trajectory to coincide.

What's your game? Targets? Bunnies? General fun and merriment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

Targets and bunnies

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

A medium range Hawke would be ideal. Good glass for the money, not sore on the pocket. I recently got a few Tasco scopes in my hands (first time in years) and was very impressed, they sell around the £100 mark though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Hunting would tend towards low power and plenty of light transmission, 3-9 or fixed 4 power perhaps, while Target Shooting would be better served by higher magnifications with top quality light transmission being less important.
    Many of the .22 benchrest people use fixed or variable power scopes up in the 36/42 range or beyond, for example.

A compromise might be something in 4-12 or 6-24 perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GreatGayHunter

Hi,
    Would anybody have a Ruger 10/22 for sale?? Cheap and Nasty also welcome? €100-€200.:p

Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i have a 3-9x40 on my 22wmr and its grand for hunting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I have a 4x32 with mildot on my 10/22 delux and its more than perfect for what I use it for vermin and some target out to 50 yrds. (you anint trying one 3 shot clovers with a ruger):D

Advertisement