Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horror Movies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Goldstein wrote: »

Noroi is a Japanese documentary style movie about a reporter investigating a Djinn type demon called kagutaba. They were very creative with the array of story telling devices they used to keep you interested throughout it's 2 hour running time.

THis looks interesting, cant seem to find anywhere to buy it though...any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

jodiebean wrote: »
    I'm actually too wussy to play horror games. I was playing F.E.A.R. one night in my mams while I was waiting for my dinner to be cooked (hell yes, home for mammies cooking) and something jumped out and stabbed me and I got such a fright I screamed. Hahahaha.

I had to stop playing that particular game. I was actually in pain from the tension across my shoulders playing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

yore ma sounds really cool!

I would also recommend rosemary's baby, great atmospheric flick and the birds by hitchcock is pretty scary too.

I also loved martyrs and inside which is another french horror, very disturbing.
    I spend my time on imdb looking at upcoming movies from film four and horror channel and there is a suprising amount of decent movies from uk,us and lots of other countries.

I also enjoyed a spanish movie I watched recently called 'king of the hill' which was a good modern take on the classic 'deliverance' and would also recommend 'southern comfort' if you enjoy those (not strictly horrors but they are scary)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Wolf Creek was one of the scariest films I'd seen in a long time

It's pure, fxcked up, psychological fear

nightmares for days and all! :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

for atmosphere, the changeling is terrific (spooky 1979 movie with george c scott), ringu worked for me, as did the japanese grudge movie....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Eirebear wrote: »
    THis looks interesting, cant seem to find anywhere to buy it though...any ideas?

Yup, it's over at Play-Asia.com:
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-7m-49-en-70-1rel.html

(Assuming you have a multi region DVD player as, naturally, it's a region 3)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭geoffraffe

I loved funny games. It really attacks your senses. Very unlike most films. loved the way the director messes with the natural film arc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Jacob's Ladder is fairly creepy throughout. There's some scenes that will definitely stick with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Starting tonight on BBC4 is what sounds like an excellent series History of Horror. Tonight hes looking at the early days
    of horror films. Its followed by one of the best films ever made Bride of Frankenstein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

The Omen for me. The original that is. Scared the living crap out of me as a kid.

Also the Dawn of the Dead remake took me by surprise as Im not into zombie flicks. The whole thing with Andy the pet shop guy and how he communicated with the other group from the rooftop was very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I watched The Host and Let the right one in recently, they're pretty good atmospheric horror flicks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I just watched the French horror Inside, and trust me, if you want disturbing horror this is it. I wouldn't always consider gore an effective scare technique, but here the bloodflow is so unrelenting it truly disturbs. The atmosphere is extremely unsettling, and it's helped along by a terrifying central antagonist. It's the first horror to leave me pretty shocked in a while. I didn't like Switchblade Romance, but Inside is extreme cinema at it's most disgustingly visceral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

99% of books are superior to their film adaptions...'The Shining' however is one of the few films that represent the 1%. Good book, flawless film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I love the Descent, very scary in the cinema. I own the DVD but the DVD player acted up when playing it so I've not successfully watched it fully again.

Shining is a classic but it didn't scare me, then I read an essay disecting what it all could mean or allude to and the next time I watched it I couldn't sleep!

any chance you could point me in the direction of that essay?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

kryogen wrote: »
    any chance you could point me in the direction of that essay?

Mee too. Would like a gander at that. Always thought The Shining was a little overrated but maybe I am missing something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

jodiebean wrote: »
    Suggest your favourites! I need to get back into my movie watching groove. The more obscure the movie the better

Once your done with the usual suspects, consider these:

The Devils

Fido

Santa Sangre a.k.a. Holy Blood

Teeth

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

Ils a.k.a. Them

El día de la bestia
    a.k.a. Day of the Beast

Freaks

Les Diabolique

Paperhouse

Peeping Tom

Ms 45

Lik Wong a.k.a. Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky

Los cronocrímenes a.k.a. Time Crimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I love the charm of 1960s and 1970s British horror movies. Hammer, Amicus and Tigon. Classic Gothic tales, with Pater Cushing and Christopher Lee, and maybe even both!!! And then there were the Amicus anthologies... Dr. Terror's House of Horrors, Asylum, Vault of Horror. Tigon made some good movies too, such as The Wicker Man.

At about that time Brit Horror feel off a cliff and the Americans took over. The seventies brought The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween and The Omen (shot in Britain but was the production American?).

The Shining is probably my favourite, though.

There are loads more that I like, but it's late and that's enough for now!

Tigon made some good movies too, such as The Wicker Man.

The Wicker Man is an awesome movie. Add to that Witchfinder General.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

Was just about to mention Paperhouse but you got there before me! Flicked onto that as a child one night and it stayed with me for years. Rented it a few years ago from an xtra-vision and attempted to watch it but had to turn it off just found it soo creepy.

Another film i really enjoyed was 'Ils', French/Romanian movie - very different mostly atmospheric tension and fright but one of those movies whereby the events are so real they could in fact happen to you which makes it terrifying..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Recommend "Let the Right One In" (2008). See link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Recommend "Let the Right One In" (2008). See link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/

It's showing with The Mist (in B&W) this Sunday and next Saturday for 2 films for the price of one. Highly recommend both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Gearing up for my own lil Horrorathon, featuring :

The Faculty

Poltergeist

Rise: Blood Hunter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

the exorcist ( scariest movie ever made )
    the omen
    halloween
    the fog
    the thing
    carrie
    hellraiser ( only the 1st one )

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Good to see Hammer horror coming back loved all the 60s 70s movies they produced one of my favs was The devil rides out starring the Living legend Christopher Lee.An american werewolf in london scared the .... out of me as a youngster.The thing is a classic and stands the test of time wonder what The Thing 2011 prequel will be like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Harrocks wrote: »
    The thing is a classic and stands the test of time wonder what The Thing 2011 prequel will be like.

I'm not holding my breath. Apparently its full of CGI and theres an actress in it.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

I'm not holding my breath. Apparently its full of CGI and theres an actress in it.:p

its actually not supposed to be full of cgi, which surprised me (pleasantly of course). heres hoping its decent anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I just watched the French horror Inside, and trust me, if you want disturbing horror this is it. I wouldn't always consider gore an effective scare technique, but here the bloodflow is so unrelenting it truly disturbs. The atmosphere is extremely unsettling, and it's helped along by a terrifying central antagonist. It's the first horror to leave me pretty shocked in a while. I didn't like Switchblade Romance, but Inside is extreme cinema at it's most disgustingly visceral.

I watched this myself over the weekend and didnt think it was great. Its not bad for the first 40 mins but then it just gets a bit repetitive. Maybe worth a look.

Another French horror that was recommended on here was Martys. Now that is a freaky film and one that is definitely worth a look. It is a good psychological horror and is extremely graphic. Man there are some fcuked up French slasher films with gore galore and this one is at the top end. This really is unpleasant viewing. I dont normally get shocked watching horrors but this one you wont forget in a hurry. If you liked Inside you'll love Martyrs. €7 on Play.com.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Warper wrote: »
    I watched this myself over the weekend and didnt think it was great. Its not bad for the first 40 mins but then it just gets a bit repetitive. Maybe worth a look.

Another French horror that was recommended on here was Martys. Now that is a freaky film and one that is definitely worth a look. It is a good psychological horror and is extremely graphic. Man there are some fcuked up French slasher films with gore galore and this one is at the top end. This really is unpleasant viewing. I dont normally get shocked watching horrors but this one you wont forget in a hurry. If you liked Inside you'll love Martyrs. €7 on Play.com.

Yeah Martyrs is great alright, one of the few hyper gory horror films that actually has a point to it. It's like a reaction to the likes of the Saw films that just aim to outgore each other as much as possible, but Martyrs definitely provides food for thought during its fairly unpredicatable closing act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Yeah Martyrs is great alright, one of the few hyper gory horror films that actually has a point to it. It's like a reaction to the likes of the Saw films that just aim to outgore each other as much as possible, but Martyrs definitely provides food for thought during its fairly unpredicatable closing act.

Martyrs effected me more than nearly every single movie that Ive ever seen,there are so few exceptions.The unrelenting torment of the last 30 to 40 minutes was a real tour de force of viewing.For me personally,Martyrs will be one of the movies I use as a yard stick to measure disturbing horror movies.

"A Serbian Film" should have taken lessons from how to fook with the audience rather than showing some of the lame "shock" scenes in has.

Every year i try to put on a show for Mrs EB and my mate and his Mrs at Halloween. Along with reccomendations from the good folks on this very forum, and a little of my own research i try to mix up all the elements that make up the ever widening "Horror" genre so as to get at least something which appeals to everyone. Gore, violence, tension, supernatural etc etc. and a bit of comedy horror for when the beers kick in and the two ladys fall asleep on the couch!

This years playlist is:
    Martyrs I've been wanting to see it for ages...
    La Horde Always nice to see a new take on the zombie/infected genre
    Session 9 Another one ive been meaning to pick up for a while.
    Noroi (The Curse) Definetly a Boards.ie reccomendation which unfortunately may not get here on time for Saturday.
    And

Survival of The Dead welllllll...ya kinda have to, right? :o

Now i just have to decide on a running order, any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rentens

the remake is so much better, jacki earl hailey is fantactic, so much more u will get out of him then robert englund

Never understood why people think Martyrs is such a great film. Saw it at the Horrorthon, whatever year it was, and left very irritated by it. Don't get me wrong, the opening twenty minutes are visceral and very intense, but after the girl has dished out her retribution, the plot becomes increasingly illogical, tedious and ultimately pointless. That all said, I can't knock the sound design, which was very David Lynch like, pretty flawless actually.

Every year i try to put on a show for Mrs EB and my mate and his Mrs at Halloween. Along with reccomendations from the good folks on this very forum, and a little of my own research i try to mix up all the elements that make up the ever widening "Horror" genre so as to get at least something which appeals to everyone. Gore, violence, tension, supernatural etc etc. and a bit of comedy horror for when the beers kick in and the two ladys fall asleep on the couch!

This years playlist is:
    Martyrs I've been wanting to see it for ages...
    La Horde Always nice to see a new take on the zombie/infected genre
    Session 9 Another one ive been meaning to pick up for a while.
    Noroi (The Curse) Definetly a Boards.ie reccomendation which unfortunately may not get here on time for Saturday.
    And

Survival of The Dead welllllll...ya kinda have to, right? :o

Now i just have to decide on a running order, any ideas?

Sweet :cool: I personally wouldn't have Martyrs at the top since it's a nasty piece of work. I'd build up to it (slot it in after Session 9).

Em, i dunno if you know but Survival of the Dead is a fukking disgrace of a movie, and zombie films are my favourite sub-genre of my favourite genre of film! You know the way some thought that if Lucas made Episode I, maybe Episode IV or V was a fluke? That's how I feel about Romero after watching SotD!! :pac::pac:

I'd urge you to check out CineMassacre's Monster Madness (a collection of short reviews of Cult horror films) to see if there's anything that might garner a spot in your playlist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 smurph11

Hi all,Love the thread and will definitely be checking out some of the recommendations. Personal favourite of mine would have to be Wolf Creek, scared the life out of me.Hope this isn't off topic but can anyone recommend any jumpy, gives you a good fright but isn't too disturbing kinda movies? OH is a total wuss and won't watch anything too freaky/creepy but has agreed to a Halloween movie fright festSo I'm thinking monsters and vampires 15s cert type movies instead of the more gets into your brain and freaks you out.Any decent recommendations please?Cheers.

Hey I put paragraphs into that and it posted differently. How do I edit??

smurph11 wrote: »
    So I'm thinking monsters and vampires 15s cert type movies instead of the more gets into your brain and freaks you out.Any decent recommendations please?Cheers.

Let the Right One In. Didn't care much for this one myself, but the majority of people seem to love it.

Evil Dead II. Downgraded from 18's to a 15's. It's extremely funny, but does have some creepy moments early on. Scared the crap out of me when I saw it in the cinema, aged 8! Army of Darkness is inferior, but alot of people seem to prefare it over the latter.

Critters. Essentially a Gremlins rip-off, but good, cheesy 80's fun.

Ringu. Very Creepy. Don't watch alone.

Nightwatch
    . Very much style over substance, but still pretty good. Day Watch, the sequel, is underrated.

Deep Rising. Hugley underrated monster movie. Very gory, but laugh out loud funny.

Jaws. A classic, nuff said.

The Monster Squad Think The Goonies, but with horror. A childhood favourite of mine, though it is difficult to get hold of unless you buy the region one dvd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Rentens wrote: »
    the remake is so much better, jacki earl hailey is fantactic, so much more u will get out of him then robert englund

/bangs head off table

Great list, Scott.
    Let the Right One In : Absolutely adored it.
    Evil Dead II/3 : Awesome comedy horror done to perfection. Groovy.
    Critters YES!
    Ringu. Preferred the US version but most people aren't of the same opinion.

Nightwatch
    /Day Watch Thought they were awful. :(
    Deep Rising. Haven't seen, will check it out :)
    Jaws. Hell yeah! The long, single-take scenes are just something you don't see anymore. Watched it a few months ago. Still fantastic.
    The Monster Squad Hah! Although the kids' dialogue is written for highschool kids, still enjoyable. Gill-man rocks! Marked out for his entrance.....
    nedtheshed wrote: »
    /bangs head off table

Yep. Completely. Suffice to say I think Rentens is on his/her own with Elm St remake > original.

Smurph, for shock-horror/horror films that won't stay with you in a scary sense, I'd recommend Paranormal Activity, The Ring (US 2002), The Thing (the creature is grotesque), 30 Days of Night, Quarantine. Decided i wouldn't recommend a subtitled movie this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

smurph11 wrote: »
    Hi all,Love the thread and will definitely be checking out some of the recommendations. Personal favourite of mine would have to be Wolf Creek, scared the life out of me.Hope this isn't off topic but can anyone recommend any jumpy, gives you a good fright but isn't too disturbing kinda movies? OH is a total wuss and won't watch anything too freaky/creepy but has agreed to a Halloween movie fright festSo I'm thinking monsters and vampires 15s cert type movies instead of the more gets into your brain and freaks you out.Any decent recommendations please?Cheers.

You might like 'Brotherhood Of The Wolf', a pretty good French film with Vincent Cassel. Plus 'Sleepy Hollow'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Have you got a IMDB link to that as theres a few french horrors called Inside listed on the site.

Any other films people can recommend? Ideally not gory horrors, more physological and atmospheric. Stuff like "Them" and Paranormal activity even...

Have you got a IMDB link to that as theres a few french horrors called Inside listed on the site.

Any other films people can recommend? Ideally not gory horrors, more physological and atmospheric. Stuff like "Them" and Paranormal activity even...

I assume its this one?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0856288/

Really tough film to watch

Thanks for the tips Scott & Jaykhunter, lloking forward to checking them out.

I assume its this one?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0856288/

Really tough film to watch

That's the one. Just to stress that it's pretty extreme, so if you're not looking for gore I wouldn't recommend it in the slightest! If you want to see a bloody horror done right, though, this is a much more visceral and unsettling film than the likes of Saw. It's not perfect or anything, but it was one of the better of the new wave of French horror films: would definitely recommend it over Them or Switchblade Romance!

I posted another thread about it, but if you're looking for a horror more in the Evil Dead II vein, Hausu is one I'd recommend very strongly indeed. It's bat**** insane, and the tongue is firmly in cheek throughout, but it's a masterpiece of weirdness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

I really liked Eden Lake - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1020530/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ideally not gory horrors, more physological and atmospheric. Stuff like "Them" and Paranormal activity even...

Paranormal Activity just saw it today on DVD, what a load of old w&nk....Blair Witch Project set in a house:rolleyes:

wouldn't you agree......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

fryup wrote: »
    Paranormal Activity just saw it today on DVD, what a load of old w&nk....Blair Witch Project set in a house:rolleyes:

wouldn't you agree......

NO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Not sure if already mentioned but The Orphanage is good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

wouldn't you agree......
    Its not amazing or anything, but its not like the blair witch at all. I said stuff like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

A film that i always liked was Bram Stokers Dracula. Great dark sets with a very brooding atmosphere. Plus there is a bit of love interest for the ladies. Some great scenes in that film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

wouldn't you agree......

Not at all! Blair Witch Project is a classic when compared to that boring Paranormal Activity. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement