Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horror Movies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Hi
    as the title says im looking for some good horror movies.

just to make clear i hate them as a genre but my girlfriend loves and im getting an xmas list together.

ideally they wouldnt be mainstream or available to buy in a bricks and mortar store(she doesnt have a CC so couldnt buy over the internet and she doesnt have internet access so torrents are a no-no and i dont download anything on torrents anyway)
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

How away from the mainstream are you talking?

Id have a few suggestions however my definition of too much is usually pretty far off most peoples.
    ;)

Whats her favourite couple of horrors for starters?

There should be a massive banner across the top of the film forum reading "Why yes, we do have an entire forum dedicated to horror."

You are going to have to give us an idea of what you are looking for. There is so many different sub-genres out there that we could recommend a hundred films and not come close to what you're looking for.

Also be nice if people give reasons for the films they recommend rather than simply pasting a list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Merged with recent horror thread.

There should be a massive banner across the top of the film forum reading "Why yes, we do have an entire forum dedicated to horror."
    missed that sorry:obeen on boards long enough,should of double checked that!!

will have a gander through her collection tommorrow and get back to you.Never watch them with her so cant think of any of the top of my head!!

• Advertisement

;)

Whats her favourite couple of horrors for starters?
    ok her's her list of top ten movies

1->the excorist
    2->the shinning
    3->american werewolf in london
    5->the ring
    6->nightmare on elm street
    7->it
    8->salems lot
    9->bram strokers dracula
    10->from hell

any idea how i can i reply to her text asking why?:D:D

like i said she has loads of movies but they were all bought in shops so something different that can be gotten over the internet would be best

Lab_Mouse wrote: »

simple, tell her with Halloween coming up you were thinking about watching some horror films and wanted some recommendations.

1->the excorist
    2->the shinning
    5->the ring
    7->it
    8->salems lot
    9->bram strokers dracula
    10->from hell

like i said she has loads of movies but they were all bought in shops so something different that can be gotten over the internet would be best

Ok,some ok movies there so Im going to make some suggestions on what she has above.

Of the vampire genre (she may have them already but you never know) Id recommend Near Dark.Its a road movie/Western affair that is criminally underseen.Id also recommend 30 Days Of Night,an excellent movie though she has probably seen it anyway.On the werewolf front pickings are very slim but The Howling is excellent.

On the slasher front Id recommend Murder Set Pieces,a brutal underground slasher though the uncut version is difficult enough to come by it does pop up on ebay from time to time.The safest way to know you are getting the uncut version is if it has the same cover art featured on the imdb page.The new wave of European horror has also thrown up some gems over the last few years and Id recommend Frontier(s),Martyrs,or Switchblade Romance.

Laid to Rest and Hatchet are two recent American slashers that are also worth getting.The New York Ripper and Maniac are two 80s sleaze + gore classics,just be sure to get the uncut versions as both have been released over here heavily edited.The Prowler and The Burning are in a similar vein but wouldnt be just as misogynistic as the former two.

For some low budget modern gore and sleaze I recommend Gutterballs,Hanger,Fetus or Blood Pigs.All 3 are ultra low budget,ultra violent,cheesy fun that you will only be able to find online so search ebay or you can buy directly from their sites at www.plotdigger.com or www.morbidvisionfilms.com although I wouldnt really recommend buying directly from Plotdigger because I preordered a limited release of Gutterballs last November and am still waiting.If you buy Blood Pigs or Fetus from the Morbidvision Films the owner/director/writer will personalize the dvds at no extra charge.He is on another site I post on and he is such a nice guy,little touches like that are why I continue to support underground horror.

Anyway,Im sure I could come up with loads more but see how you go with the above!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

jodiebean wrote: »
    What I found between watching the movie and reading the book..

I saw the movie before I read the book, and I found a lot of stuff didn't really fit together or make sense. Then I read the book and I was like.. Ahh! It was like he left out important things that explained a lot more. Or maybe I'm just too dumb to get the subtlety in Kubricks film! Stephen King himself didn't actually like the movie and there is another version of the Shining which King had input in and actually enjoyed.

I get the impression that's it's not a popular opinion, but for me, Kubrick's version was rubbish, with the odd good bit, like those creepy little girls who still scare the hell out of me...

The relationship between Jack and his family was completely at odds with what King portrayed in the book, as far as I can see.

Stork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Most memorable horror movies for me, in no particular order...

The Changeling (
    If there's one thing scarier than a ghost, it's the ghost of a child...the first time you hear the name spoken after the sceance...if your hair isn't standing on end you must be in a coma ;)
    )
    American Werewolf in London
    Jacob's Ladder
    The Innocents (
    That woman across the lake...
    )
    Bram Stoker's Dracula (Stephen King thought Stoker's sexual angle wouldn't work with modern audiences, which is why he dropped it for Salem's Lot. This version shows how wrong he was.)
    Alien
    The Mist
    28 Days Later
    Cloverfield
    Ghost Story

Lastly..B movie from the late 70s or early 80's called "The Redeemer". A kind of slasher variation of "And Then There Were None" in which a bunch of people turn up for a school reunion that's been arranged by someone who doesn't like them very much.

Stork

• Advertisement

otis thanks for the recommendations,will have a look at them and make sure she doesnt have them already.

No problem man.If you are buying online and are unsure of the version whether its uncut or not feel free to PM me the links and I will check it for ya.Also,some of the above have never gotten a region 2 release uncut so she would need a multi region player or an unlocked one.

1->the excorist
    2->the shinning
    5->the ring
    7->it
    8->salems lot
    9->bram strokers dracula
    10->from hell

An interesting mix and with that in mind I would recommend.

Dellamorte Dellamore aka Cemetary Man. Perhaps the last great Italian horror. Dripping in atmosphere, superbly acted and with some truly memorable imagery it's an unseen classic. Rupert Everett is brilliant in the title role, you'll never look at him the same way again.

In the Mouth of Madness - one of John Carpenters finest films. Deeply indepted to Lovecraftian imagery it's a visually stunning film which is also creepy as hell. The kind of film that will get under your skin and be at the back for days afterward.

Ravenous - based on the Alfred Packer massacre this is a period horror that has sadly never acquired the audience it deserves. Set in a military fort back in the 1800s it follows what happens when the lone survivor of a wagon train is found and nursed back to health before slowly turning the forts inhabitants into tasty treats. Robert Carlyle and Guy Pearce star in what is one of my all time favourites.

Eden Lake - this is one of the most interesting smashers in recent years. A couple holidaying in the lake district find themselves at the mercy of a group of local hoods. Michael Fassbender is fantastic and there's a certain glee to be found in watching him turn the tables.

Frontier(s) - the tried and tired inbred locals verses the big city folk is given a rather interesting spin in this French shocker. A group of bank robbers fleeing Paris find themselves at the mercy of a family if Nazis who are intent on creating the perfect specimen. With grisly deaths and a real sense if foreboding it's one if the few recents horrors which does something fun with a tired formula.

Dead Silence - from James Wan who faces us the original Saw comes a creepy as hell killer doll film. Dripping in atmosphere and with some genuine old fashioned creepy moments it's a nice throw back in both look and tone to the Universal Horrors of the 30s and 40s.

Ravenous - based on the Alfred Packer massacre this is a period horror that has sadly never acquired the audience it deserves. Set in a military fort back in the 1800s it follows what happens when the lone survivor of a wagon train is found and nursed back to health before slowly turning the forts inhabitants into tasty treats. Robert Carlyle and Guy Pearce star in what is one of my all time favourites.

I'd get that movie just for the sake of those 2 actors...they are class

Ravenous is brilliant and criminally underseen and is for me one of Carlyle's finest performances.The soundtrack done by Damon Albarn and Micheal Nyman is on regular rotation on my ipod too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Sanjuro wrote: »
    The Birds

Really? :confused:

One of Hitch's worse films IMO, maybe it's outdated at this stage but I couldn't help but laugh as I watched it and I'm a huge Hitch fan. Definitely wouldn't make it anywhere near any of my horror movie lists.

As mentioned already Laid to Rest is a must own for any self respecting horror fan. Plot, acting, etc are dreadful beyond belief but the gore is amongst the best best ever committed to film. Faces are cut off, blades cut cheats open and limbs are hacked off with playful abandon. It's 90 minutes of gore heaven.

Here are some horror films I've watched over the past year or so and enjoyed shamelessly copied from my Recently Viewed Diary on the horror forum.

The Monster Squad - While some may quest in the inclusion of the Monster Squad in the horror genre it really doesn't belong anywhere else. featuring Dracula, the Mummy, Frankenstein's Monster and the Gill Man it's a delightfully fun kids film from a time in which death and scares weren't uncommon in films aimed at the under 12s. That it has such broad appeal, appealing as it does to both kids and adults alike is down to the truly superb screenplay by Fred Dekker and Shane Black.

Sorority Row - I really, really enjoyed this. The kills were fun, the acting spot on, it never dragged and there were enough twists and turns to keep me interested. It's never going to be considered a classic of the genre but for a remake of a largely forgotten 80s horror its damn good. The story is pretty much I Know What You Did Last Sorority Party but it works and tbh at the end of the day it's unassuming fun which really delivers it's share of fun and when compared to the likes of the Prom Night remake it's Oscar material.

The cinematography in the opening scene is superb and features some truly jaw dropping shots.

Storm Warning - Another in the recent trend of Australian horror. Storm Warning written by genre master Everett De Roche who wrote Patrick and the Long Weekend is one of the more entertaiing two city types get lost in the boondocks and stumble across a family of sadistic redneck films of late. What separates it from the numerous others is the quality of the writing and some great acting from David Lyons.

While it does take nearly an hour for anyone to die, it's well worth it. The deaths are inventive and nasty as hell with some great practical effects.

The House of the Devil - Wow, just wow. The House of the Devil is for want of a better word the perfect old school horror film.

It features a truly unnerving atmosphere, a slow delicate build up, spot on performances and gorgeous cinematography. Shot to resemble an 80s horror film which is does superbly it is a real throw back of the suspense horror or yesteryear. There is little in the way of gore or violence for the vast majority of the run time relying instead on a truly amazing central performance and a great atmosphere of true horror.

I really can't remember the last time a horror film has left me staring at the screen and thinking that I can't wait to re-watch it. It's just a truly magnificent achievement and one which I really do wish had played cinemas here.

Phenomena - How can you not love any film in whichSpoiler: a monkey uses a staright razor to repeatedly slash a womans face. Yes, Phenomena is pure unadulteraded 80s Argento cheese, full of ridicolous plotting, dreadful dialogue, numerous plots holes and every other cliche in Argentos repetoir.

Yet it's never less than watchable, the ludicrous kills, dream sequences and great score all make Phenomena a true delight.

Triangle - Quite simply a breathtaking film which will leave you with a massive smile on your face as you realise just how well thought out the whole thing was.

It's hard to talk about the film in any detail as it's best experienced knowing as little as possible beforehand, i really cannot stress that last part enough, go in with as little knowledge as possible and the film iss just a truly striking piece of cinema which rewards the viewer.

At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul - The birth of Coffin Joe, one of the icons of horror cinema remains an entertaining and ambitious film which while having aged considerably remains a classic. The prints on the recently released box set is rather poor and the sound is dreadful but it only adds to the charm.

It's pure unadulateraed fun which you can't help but love.

This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse - Another classic from José Mojica Marins, this time with a far bigger budget Dé brings his quest to create his perfect human specimen to extreme lengths. The dreamlike nature of the film gives it an eerie and truly unique feel.

The films of Coffin Joe arent for everyone and those weaned on Freddy and Jason will find them slow and boring but for fans of atmospheric horror they are a treat. Highly reminiscent of the classic Universal film fo the 30s but slightly more demented, Coffin Joe is a must for anyone who considers themselves a horror fan.

The Crazies - One of Romero's most interesting forgotten films. THe nihilistic tone perfectly creates a taught and riveting horror which unfortunately does meander a little toward the end. The at times decidedly uneven pace and acting don't do the film any real favours but the manner in which it creates such dread such be applauded.

The Crazies (Remake) - Now this is how a remake should be done, by retaining the mood of the original and crafting a strikingly different film this goes out of its way to be more than just a quick cash in. The film retains the nihilistic sense of dread which worked so well for the original but expands on the original concept, removing much of the originals heavy exposition in favour for some taut scares.

The Hills Run Red - This is how you made a lowbudget direct to DVD slasher film. You write a witty, intelligent, gore laden script which features nods to the genre but never becomes a parody. For anyone who feels that the cookie cutter nature of modern horror has become to repetitive it's the perfect antidote.

The Breed - One of my all time favourite low-budget horror films. With a unique take on the vampire mythos, some great action scenes and a cast who by and large deliver. I've watched it repeatedly over the past decade and am constantly entertained by it. It's 90 minutes of stylistic action with a good story and a truly great final death scene.

Outpost - One of those truly great hidden gems. Outpost is one of the most inventive and exciting low-budget films of the past few years. A great cast, a unique and entertaining story and a number of great scenes make it well worth your time.

Nightbreed - Another of my all time favourite horror films. It's just an absolutely stunning looking film with superb character design, a rich and involving mythology and story and some truly breathtaking moments. The only drawback is that much of what Barker shot was cut at the last-minute by a studio who had no faith in a film which portrays the monster sympathetically. Recent discoveries of the excised footage has led to speculation of a directors cut but I'm not holding my breath. For anyone who has yet to experience Nightbreed it really is a film which you should go out of your way to pick up asap.

Le Horde - Le Horde is pretty much Left 4 Dead the film, a high-octane, breakneck thrill ride with some truly fantastic moments of violence. More of an action film than straight up horror but even still it's years ahead of the crap the Romero has been churning out lately. Die Hard of the Dead is perhaps the most apt description of what is the most entertaining zombie film of the past few years.

Fright Night - Fright Night remains one of the greatest horror films ever made, one which has frights, laughs and even a few moments where tears are in order. It's the perfect vampire film and one which every self respecitng horror fan has to have seen. It features one of my favourite performances of all time from the great Roddy McDowall as Peter Vincent, a role which he was bron to play. To see Fright Night once is to fall in love with it.

Raw Meat - Donald Pleasence at his most brilliant in what is a pretty decent film by anyones standards. The plot is simple, people are disappearing from the underground and it's all down to the work of a cannibalistic dwellers who call the tunnels their home. An effective little film with some outstanding moments but it's Pleasence who makes the film a must see.

Heartless - Heartless is an absolutely stunning film featuring some gorgeous cinematography, interesting creature design and a constant sense of dread. The film is reminiscent of the equally fantastic The Truth About Demons two films which back to back make a perfect double bill. Watching Heartless it's difficult not to constantly expect John Constantine to walk on-screen at any moment given just how well the film captures the mood of the comic series.

Flight of the Living Dead: Outbreak on a Plane - Enjoyable hokum which does exactly as it says on the case. There's a plane, there are zombies and there's a whole lot of carnage. Trashy fun at it's best, featuring the always value for money Kevin J. O'Connor. If you're a fan of B movies then Flight of the Living Dead is the perfect nights viewing.

The Plague - Billed as a Clive Barker film the Plague is in fact a rather low-key, story driven film from writer/director Hal Masonberg. It's an entertainINg romp with some very well handled moments though watching it you can't help but wish to see the proper directors cut. Barker and his fellow producers recut the film substantially, removing an hour of footage, they concentrated on violence rather than allowing for a truly great slow burning horror film.

Re-Animator - Spatterific fun, one of my all time favourite horror films till stands up magnificently nearly a decade after I first watched in glee as Herbert West played with the dead. Jeffrey Combs is the out-and-out star here, he's one of those rare actors whose very presence no matter how bad the film is will guarantee that I watch it. For anyone who hasn't seen Re-Animator, it's a loose adaptation of Lovecraft's tale with a dash of Frankenstein thrown in for effect. Re-Animator is something of a forgotten gem and like many other 80s gems it ripe for rediscovery and I cannot stress this enough, you cannot call yourself a fan of splatter horror until you have seen Re-Animator and fell in love with a certain Dr. West.

Bride of Re-Animator The Frankenstein influence is slightly more obvious here and while it's not a patch on the original Bride is a worthy follow-up which retains the originals dark humour while upping the gore and creature effects considerably. It's more of the same with most of the original cast returning though Spoiler: Herbert Wests return is never explained. IF you don't find the thought of a dog with a human hand or laugh at the thought of Jeffrey Combs sneaking bodies out of hospitals you're best advised to look elsewhere. But for fans of the original or those with a love of all those dark it's good fun.

Undead or Alive - For some reason I adore Undead or Alive. One of those films which is guaranteed to put a smile on my face no matter how down I feel. Chris Kattan and James Denton play 2 cowboys who end up facing off against a horde of the recently departed. With plenty of laughs, some fantastic effects and a great story Undead or Alive is a truly fantastic little film which few have seen let alone heard of.

Reeker 2: Fantastic fun, plenty of gore, inventive deaths and a few laughs. Basically a remake of the original only with added story concerning the Reeker and his origins. It's never going to be considered a classic but for what it is, a low-budget, horror sequel its value for money.

Mutants: An interesting French horror film with great creature effects and gore but a sadly clichéd plot sinks the film into mediocrity. Had they spent a little more time on the plot and crafting an original story it could have been something truly special but as it stands it's entertaining enough but fails to stand out from the crowd.

Snakes aka Python 2: A thoroughly entertaining creature film with plenty of things going boom, some decidedly dicey effects and a constant sense of fun. Low budget as hell but far more fun than it has any right to be.

The Host: Superb Korean creature feature, great performances, superb effects and a story at once humours and heart breaking. One of the few recent creature features which realised that story trumps effects.

Dead Space Downfall: surprisingly entertaining and gory animated game tie in. THe voice acting is decent and the story is interesting but its the gore which really impresses. Some of the nastiest and most entertaining death scenes in many years.

Friday the 13th: entertaining if badly dated slasher fare, the waves of imitators have turned what was at the time an original concept into one which every bargain bin the world over is full of. Some nice death scenes and likeable characters help to keep the film well above the imitators.

Vampires: Classic Carpenter, just something immensely cool about it all. James Woods is a serious bad ass, the music rocks and the repeated scenes of Woods and a Baldwin abusing a hooker are hilarious. One of the most underrated horror films of the past few decades and a truly beautiful looking film.

The Chaser: While I don't count it as a horror many do so I best include it. Superior thriller, a great concept, superb acting and a real sense of foreboding. One of the best films of the past few years and one which really improves the less you know going in.

I Saw the Devil: One of the best revenge films ever, truly gut wrenching at times and that it manages to sustain its self for over 2 hours is a testament to the quality of the writing. Like the Chaser it's best experienced cold.

Drive Angry 3D: This is good old-fashioned trash, a novel concept and a cast who over act just enough. Some great uses of 3D, the flash back scene has to be seen to be believed and lots of great deaths. A real throwback to the sleaze of yesteryear.

Black Death: A true classic, Sean Bean was born to wield a sword. THe story, an exploration of faith is superbly handled with fine performances and gorgeous cinematography it's one of my all time favourite films and one which any true horror fan should seek out.

Hobo With A Shotgun - A real gem, 80 minutes of over the top gore and laughs. Much like Black Dynamite it pays homage to the genre in a loving manner by highlighting the ridiculousness of many of the Grindhouse films but never making fun of them.

Manhunter - The best incarnation of Hanniable Lecktor, Michael Mann's adaptation of Red Dragon is a serious, well made and genuinely creepy film which is immensely re-watchable and features one of the most memorable finales of all time.

Down - i bought this knowing nothing about it bar that the cast featured Michael Ironside and Ron Perlman. Expecting a generic B movie I was instead greeted with one of the most entertaining 100 minutes of film I have seen in a long time. The premise about an elevator which kills may seem like the most ridiculous concept ever but by playing it completeely straight and with great fx work it somehow really does work. It's teh kind of film best watched knowing as little about beforehand, and lets not forget the scene in which Ironside and Perlman talk is the B-Movie fans version of Heat.

God Told Me To - Larry Cohen is the God of genre cinema and this is perhaps his most impressive feat. it's hard to talk about the film without giving too much away but the plot concerns a spate of unrelated murder spree and when asked the killers motivations are always the same" God Told Me To". It's a great premise and one which could easily have been used for cheap laughs but Cohen is adept at working with hookey premises and plays it all straight creating one of the oddest and most original films you are ever likely to see.

Tucker & Dale vs Evil - I absolutely adore the film, one of the funniest I have seen in a long time and with enough fun deaths and gore to satisfy. It's a genius piece of film which manages to perfectly capture the mood of cabin in the woods films and sprinkle in enough genuine comedy moments to make it a must see. So good is it that I'm watching it again and looking forward to owning it

Mother's Day - Been looking forward to this for a long time and it didn't disappoint, a truly fantastic remake and a great film in it's own right. The original is a cult classic but this is good enough to be a true genre classic, great performances, a great script and direction and some genuinely fantastic deaths and situations.

Had I know that it was opening in cinemas here on Friday I would have waited but as it stands I'm quite happy to pay to see it this weekend and I've all ready ordered the Blu Ray which is out in Germany on the 9th of this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Laserface

+1 for Darko's recommendation "Manhunter". epic film.

anyway..i watched Drag Me To Hell last night. really loved it. immense fun. i was never a huge sam raimi follower but have just ordered his entire back catalogue now.
    the scene when the corpse woman spews green jelly into the girl's mouth... YUCK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 er_mano

I would really recommend The Descent, it makes you feel very uneasy, great movie. Otherwise 1408 or even Pandorum other then the ones already mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

A suspense horror film set in a small coastal town where, after a series of gory murders commited by mobs of townspeople against visiting tourists, the corpses begin to come back to life.

Has anyone seen this one recently?.Is it still worth getting a copy.

Seen this one a long time back(10yrs+) and though it was great at the time.
    Wondering how well it had dated,if it's still worth getting.Has'nt been available for a few years,but it is now.

• Advertisement

okay from going on otis's and Darko's recommendations and having had a quick sneaky gander through her collection Im gonna get her:

1)30 days of night
    2)frontier(s)
    3)In the mouth of madness
    4)Dead silence.

Would you know of a single website I could get them all from or possibly even a bricks and mortar store??

30 days,Dead Silence and Frontiers can be easily picked up in HMV.In the Mouth of Madness may be harder to track down in a walk in store so probably ebay would be your best bet.

30 days,Dead Silence and Frontiers can be easily picked up in HMV.In the Mouth of Madness may be harder to track down in a walk in store so probably ebay would be your best bet.

I saw Dead Silence and in HMV last week for 4 euro on DVD and 7 on Blu-Ray. 30 Days was 6 on DVD and 10 on Blu. Now not all stores will be the same but the Blu prices should be as they were part of the sale. Frontier(s) I haven't seen in one in a long time, I've actually been keeping an eye out for it but it would be around the 8 euro mark.

In the Mouth of Madness is going to be a lot harder to find in stores, the Internet is your best bet. If she can play American DVDs then amazon is where to go

HMV on Grafton St have Frontiers in the foreign cinema section.I got it on ebay for £2.:)

Here it is for £6 including p+p.

Linky.

thanks all.Get paid at end of month so will head into hmv and see what i can get ,otherwise will buy of the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Bought The Collector & The Tortured.

Watched The Collector last night, absolutely terrifying. If the producers play their cards right they could have a real horror icon in their hands.

DeWitt wrote: »
    Bought The Collector & The Tortured.

Watched The Collector last night, absolutely terrifying. If the producers play their cards right they could have a real horror icon in their hands.

Ladies and gentlemen,I give you the reason remakes are successful.

misc-jackie-chan.svg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

That's a really mean thing to say, internet. Forgive him for enjoying a movie :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Has anyone seen this? Seems to be some irish involvement though it's set in Edinburgh.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1396219/plotsummary

• Advertisement

fontanalis wrote: »
    Has anyone seen this? Seems to be some irish involvement though it's set in Edinburgh.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1396219/plotsummary

It was shot in Galway. Not a terrible film though that said the insufferable James Nesbitt does make watching it difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

The Collector's a pretty good horror film. Well reviewed on the net as well. Besides if there were no remakes, we'd never have gotten John Carpenter's The Thing to begin with. :cool:

I'd much rather see The Collector become a horror icon than Jason knockoff Victor Crowley from Hatchet who seems to be in for a 3rd installment :( Although if anyone else is "fortunate" enough to pick the first up on DVD be sure to watch the making of features as some of the pranks are better than the movie itself. :D

Caught The Crazies remake the other day, great stuff! Big fan of Timothy Olyphant and enjoyed Radha Mitchell in Silent Hill and Pitch Black and they didn't disappoint in this. Really improved on the original movie in terms of pacing but also came at it from a slightly different angle letting the original stand on its own feet. The way they stubbornly refused to spell out the exact nature of the virus was a refreshing change, leaving us as clueless as the characters and letting paranoia set in over every single piece of human contact or liquid consumed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

has anyone seen this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377749/

i thought it was very good.it might have been mentioned already but its very good and well worth a watch.henry thomas aka elliot in e.t is in it.

grave encounters http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377749/ isnt bad either.i know i know its another of the hand held camera movies but it s worth a watch to.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    has anyone seen this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377749/

i thought it was very good.it might have been mentioned already but its very good and well worth a watch.henry thomas aka elliot in e.t is in it.

Dead Birds is excellent, Simon Barrett is one of the most talented writers working in the genre at the minute. Check out Frankenfish if you get the chance, it's a great lil creature feature which does a lot with a little. Red Sands is also very good but nowhere near the levels of Dead Birds. Barrett's script for A Horrible Way to Die is fantastic, it's one of the decades best genre films and I really cannot wait for You're Next which is the same team and early word is that it is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

My top 10 horror list

1. Dawn Of The Dead (78) The remake is good too but this is a stone classic

2. The Beyond. Fulci's masterpiece. Its nonsensical but that makes it freakier.

3. The Haunting. Proper ghost story. Not a drop of blood spilled and all the better for it. **** the remake.

4. Witchfinder General. Not a horror per se but the foreboding atmosphere is fantastic.

5. Day Of The Dead. Still the best gore fx ive ever seen. Tom Savini & Greg Nicotero at the top of their game.

6. The Thing. Love the atmosphere of paranoia Carpenter creates. Brilliant fx from Rob Bottin and a killer cast. Kurt Russells best film.

7. Zombi 2. Amazing how a cheap italian rip off can become a cult classic. Great fx from Gianetto De Rossi, a creepy as **** setting and brilliant music overcome the crap acting to make a brilliant horror film.

8. Cannibal Holocaust. The animal stuff is horrible but the film is a fantastic accomplishment. The Riz Orlatani score is one of my favourites.

9. The Devil Rides Out. The scene where the devil appears is still one of the scariest things ive seen.

10. Evil Dead 2. Ridiculous but brilliant fun.

Cool list.

Personally Id take The Wicker Man,Halloween,The Evil Dead and Re-Animator over The Witchfinder General,The Haunting,The Devil Rides Out and Evil Dead 2 but you have some of my absolute favourite movies there.

• Advertisement

Cool list.

Personally Id take The Wicker Man,Halloween,The Evil Dead and Re-Animator over The Witchfinder General,The Haunting,The Devil Rides Out and Evil Dead 2 but you have some of my absolute favourite movies there.

There are two things I look for in every house I'm in, a bookshelf which isn't simply full of the latest Dan Brown trash and a copy of the Wicker Man in the DVD collection. It's quite simply the greatest horror film ever made, it creates such a constant sense of growing dread and fear and features one of the finest performances ever delivered. Edward Woodward is absolutely astounding in the central role, that they saw fit to cast Nicholas Cage in the role in the remake shows how little respect they had for the original.

I love Halloween but ive seen it too many times. Some great scares though, especially the ones that make use of the widescreen photography where Myers just appears at the edge of the screen.

The Wickerman is a great one too. So atmospheric and a totally wacked out Lee performance.

Re-Animator has all the ingredients of a film i should love but i never warmed to it. I feel the same way about Return Of The Living Dead.

There are two things I look for in every house I'm in, a bookshelf which isn't simply full of the latest Dan Brown trash and a copy of the Wicker Man in the DVD collection. It's quite simply the greatest horror film ever made, it creates such a constant sense of growing dread and fear and features one of the finest performances ever delivered. Edward Woodward is absolutely astounding in the central role, that they saw fit to cast Nicholas Cage in the role in the remake shows how little respect they had for the original.

It truly is a classic and arguably the best British horror movie ever made.Woodward plays the stuffy cop in such a brilliantly understated way.The scene at the end when he is screaming "oh God,oh Jesus Christ" sends shivers down my spine every time I watch it.

I really want to get this release of itbut have trouble ever finding anyone that ships to ROI.Its pointless really considering I already have the three disc collectors edition with the soundtrack CD but Im just a sucker for cool packaging.:pac:
    I love Halloween but ive seen it too many times. Some great scares though, especially the ones that make use of the widescreen photography where Myers just appears at the edge of the screen.

The Wickerman is a great one too. So atmospheric and a totally wacked out Lee performance.

Re-Animator has all the ingredients of a film i should love but i never warmed to it. I feel the same way about Return Of The Living Dead.

I think ROTLD is much more schlocky than Re-Animator but I can see where you are coming from comparison wise.They screened Re-Animator in the IFI a few months ago and Ed King rang Brian Yuzna before the screening and he addressed the audience over the mike which was pretty cool.Ive always loved it so it was a total kick seeing it on the big screen.

Did you go to the Day Of The Dead screening in the ifi last year?

I would have love to have gone as i think Joe Pilato was there but unfortunately i couldn't make it.

It truly is a classic and arguably the best British horror movie ever made.Woodward plays the stuffy cop in such a brilliantly understated way.The scene at the end when he is screaming "oh God,oh Jesus Christ" sends shivers down my spine every time I watch it.

I really want to get this release of itbut have trouble ever finding anyone that ships to ROI.Its pointless really considering I already have the three disc collectors edition with the soundtrack CD but Im just a sucker for cool packaging.:pac:

I have had my eye on the wooden box for awhile, just holding off for fear that I'll buy it and discover that the Blu-Ray is finally getting a new release date. First time I saw the film I had recorded it off the TV and watched it alone late at night and just fell in love with it. I would have been 13 or 14 at the time and it just blew me away. It's a truly stunning piece of cinema and I could watch it every day and never grow tired of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Watched Pontypool and Grave Encounters the other night after multiple recommendations on here. Pontypool didn't impress me as much as I thought it would, interesting premise though. I enjoyed Grave Encounters more, even though it wasn't the fright fest I'd hoped for, kind of a mix between The House on Haunted Hill(remake) and The Blair Witch.

Saw a trailer for a film called The Devil Inside, looks pretty decent :) but then again, so do most trailers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Might be the wrong place to ask and don't want to hijack the thread but can anyone here recommend some 'scary' movies which are suitable for 12 year olds? My son is having some pals over for a Haloween sleepover and they want to stay up late to watch a couple of 'horror' movies.

And as this is my 1,000th post on Boards.ie (after nearly 5 years!!!) I'm feeling all emotional :-)

Cheers,

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

BenEadir wrote: »
    Might be the wrong place to ask and don't want to hijack the thread but can anyone here recommend some 'scary' movies which are suitable for 12 year olds? My son is having some pals over for a Haloween sleepover and they want to stay up late to watch a couple of 'horror' movies.

And as this is my 1,000th post on Boards.ie (after nearly 5 years!!!) I'm feeling all emotional :-)

Cheers,

Ben

Tough one! Off the top of my head - what about Gremlins or Arachnophobia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Cheers,

Ben

Poltergeist should do the job.

Cheers,

Ben

The Monster Squad. It's a loving throw back to the clasic Universal horrors and is smartly written, superbly acted by its young cast and is a film that anyone who sees it will grow to love.

You can't go wrong with any of the Universal horrors from the 30s and 40s. Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolfman, etc are all excellent and perfect for kids. Granted that they are in black and white may put some off but I showed Frankenstein to my younger brother when he was 6 or so and he loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

adox wrote: »

Good one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

havent read through the thread but anyone looking for a quality zombie movie check out pontypool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

adox wrote: »

Adox, you serious??? I recall watching Poltergeist when I was a kid and it scared the bejaysus out of me.

You doing this just becuase I'm an LFC fan ;)

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

havent read through the thread but anyone looking for a quality zombie movie check out pontypool

Have it on my "to watch" list for this weekend. The weekend thats in it Im going to try and watch at least 2-2 horrors.

Pontypool and Noroi are both pencilled in so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Something wicked this way comes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement