Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horror Movies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Ladies and gentlemen,I give you the reason remakes are successful.

The Collector's a pretty good horror film. Well reviewed on the net as well. Besides if there were no remakes, we'd never have gotten John Carpenter's The Thing to begin with. :cool:

I'd much rather see The Collector become a horror icon than Jason knockoff Victor Crowley from Hatchet who seems to be in for a 3rd installment :( Although if anyone else is "fortunate" enough to pick the first up on DVD be sure to watch the making of features as some of the pranks are better than the movie itself. :D

Caught The Crazies remake the other day, great stuff! Big fan of Timothy Olyphant and enjoyed Radha Mitchell in Silent Hill and Pitch Black and they didn't disappoint in this. Really improved on the original movie in terms of pacing but also came at it from a slightly different angle letting the original stand on its own feet. The way they stubbornly refused to spell out the exact nature of the virus was a refreshing change, leaving us as clueless as the characters and letting paranoia set in over every single piece of human contact or liquid consumed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

has anyone seen this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377749/

i thought it was very good.it might have been mentioned already but its very good and well worth a watch.henry thomas aka elliot in e.t is in it.

grave encounters http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377749/ isnt bad either.i know i know its another of the hand held camera movies but it s worth a watch to.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    has anyone seen this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377749/

i thought it was very good.it might have been mentioned already but its very good and well worth a watch.henry thomas aka elliot in e.t is in it.

Dead Birds is excellent, Simon Barrett is one of the most talented writers working in the genre at the minute. Check out Frankenfish if you get the chance, it's a great lil creature feature which does a lot with a little. Red Sands is also very good but nowhere near the levels of Dead Birds. Barrett's script for A Horrible Way to Die is fantastic, it's one of the decades best genre films and I really cannot wait for You're Next which is the same team and early word is that it is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

My top 10 horror list

1. Dawn Of The Dead (78) The remake is good too but this is a stone classic

2. The Beyond. Fulci's masterpiece. Its nonsensical but that makes it freakier.

3. The Haunting. Proper ghost story. Not a drop of blood spilled and all the better for it. **** the remake.

4. Witchfinder General. Not a horror per se but the foreboding atmosphere is fantastic.

5. Day Of The Dead. Still the best gore fx ive ever seen. Tom Savini & Greg Nicotero at the top of their game.

6. The Thing. Love the atmosphere of paranoia Carpenter creates. Brilliant fx from Rob Bottin and a killer cast. Kurt Russells best film.

7. Zombi 2. Amazing how a cheap italian rip off can become a cult classic. Great fx from Gianetto De Rossi, a creepy as **** setting and brilliant music overcome the crap acting to make a brilliant horror film.

8. Cannibal Holocaust. The animal stuff is horrible but the film is a fantastic accomplishment. The Riz Orlatani score is one of my favourites.

9. The Devil Rides Out. The scene where the devil appears is still one of the scariest things ive seen.

10. Evil Dead 2. Ridiculous but brilliant fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Cool list.

Personally Id take The Wicker Man,Halloween,The Evil Dead and Re-Animator over The Witchfinder General,The Haunting,The Devil Rides Out and Evil Dead 2 but you have some of my absolute favourite movies there.

• Advertisement

Cool list.

Personally Id take The Wicker Man,Halloween,The Evil Dead and Re-Animator over The Witchfinder General,The Haunting,The Devil Rides Out and Evil Dead 2 but you have some of my absolute favourite movies there.

There are two things I look for in every house I'm in, a bookshelf which isn't simply full of the latest Dan Brown trash and a copy of the Wicker Man in the DVD collection. It's quite simply the greatest horror film ever made, it creates such a constant sense of growing dread and fear and features one of the finest performances ever delivered. Edward Woodward is absolutely astounding in the central role, that they saw fit to cast Nicholas Cage in the role in the remake shows how little respect they had for the original.

I love Halloween but ive seen it too many times. Some great scares though, especially the ones that make use of the widescreen photography where Myers just appears at the edge of the screen.

The Wickerman is a great one too. So atmospheric and a totally wacked out Lee performance.

Re-Animator has all the ingredients of a film i should love but i never warmed to it. I feel the same way about Return Of The Living Dead.

There are two things I look for in every house I'm in, a bookshelf which isn't simply full of the latest Dan Brown trash and a copy of the Wicker Man in the DVD collection. It's quite simply the greatest horror film ever made, it creates such a constant sense of growing dread and fear and features one of the finest performances ever delivered. Edward Woodward is absolutely astounding in the central role, that they saw fit to cast Nicholas Cage in the role in the remake shows how little respect they had for the original.

It truly is a classic and arguably the best British horror movie ever made.Woodward plays the stuffy cop in such a brilliantly understated way.The scene at the end when he is screaming "oh God,oh Jesus Christ" sends shivers down my spine every time I watch it.

I really want to get this release of itbut have trouble ever finding anyone that ships to ROI.Its pointless really considering I already have the three disc collectors edition with the soundtrack CD but Im just a sucker for cool packaging.:pac:
    I love Halloween but ive seen it too many times. Some great scares though, especially the ones that make use of the widescreen photography where Myers just appears at the edge of the screen.

The Wickerman is a great one too. So atmospheric and a totally wacked out Lee performance.

Re-Animator has all the ingredients of a film i should love but i never warmed to it. I feel the same way about Return Of The Living Dead.

I think ROTLD is much more schlocky than Re-Animator but I can see where you are coming from comparison wise.They screened Re-Animator in the IFI a few months ago and Ed King rang Brian Yuzna before the screening and he addressed the audience over the mike which was pretty cool.Ive always loved it so it was a total kick seeing it on the big screen.

Did you go to the Day Of The Dead screening in the ifi last year?

I would have love to have gone as i think Joe Pilato was there but unfortunately i couldn't make it.

It truly is a classic and arguably the best British horror movie ever made.Woodward plays the stuffy cop in such a brilliantly understated way.The scene at the end when he is screaming "oh God,oh Jesus Christ" sends shivers down my spine every time I watch it.

I really want to get this release of itbut have trouble ever finding anyone that ships to ROI.Its pointless really considering I already have the three disc collectors edition with the soundtrack CD but Im just a sucker for cool packaging.:pac:

I have had my eye on the wooden box for awhile, just holding off for fear that I'll buy it and discover that the Blu-Ray is finally getting a new release date. First time I saw the film I had recorded it off the TV and watched it alone late at night and just fell in love with it. I would have been 13 or 14 at the time and it just blew me away. It's a truly stunning piece of cinema and I could watch it every day and never grow tired of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Watched Pontypool and Grave Encounters the other night after multiple recommendations on here. Pontypool didn't impress me as much as I thought it would, interesting premise though. I enjoyed Grave Encounters more, even though it wasn't the fright fest I'd hoped for, kind of a mix between The House on Haunted Hill(remake) and The Blair Witch.

Saw a trailer for a film called The Devil Inside, looks pretty decent :) but then again, so do most trailers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Might be the wrong place to ask and don't want to hijack the thread but can anyone here recommend some 'scary' movies which are suitable for 12 year olds? My son is having some pals over for a Haloween sleepover and they want to stay up late to watch a couple of 'horror' movies.

And as this is my 1,000th post on Boards.ie (after nearly 5 years!!!) I'm feeling all emotional :-)

Cheers,

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

BenEadir wrote: »
    Might be the wrong place to ask and don't want to hijack the thread but can anyone here recommend some 'scary' movies which are suitable for 12 year olds? My son is having some pals over for a Haloween sleepover and they want to stay up late to watch a couple of 'horror' movies.

And as this is my 1,000th post on Boards.ie (after nearly 5 years!!!) I'm feeling all emotional :-)

Cheers,

Ben

Tough one! Off the top of my head - what about Gremlins or Arachnophobia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Cheers,

Ben

Poltergeist should do the job.

Cheers,

Ben

The Monster Squad. It's a loving throw back to the clasic Universal horrors and is smartly written, superbly acted by its young cast and is a film that anyone who sees it will grow to love.

You can't go wrong with any of the Universal horrors from the 30s and 40s. Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolfman, etc are all excellent and perfect for kids. Granted that they are in black and white may put some off but I showed Frankenstein to my younger brother when he was 6 or so and he loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

adox wrote: »

Good one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

havent read through the thread but anyone looking for a quality zombie movie check out pontypool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Adox, you serious??? I recall watching Poltergeist when I was a kid and it scared the bejaysus out of me.

You doing this just becuase I'm an LFC fan ;)

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

havent read through the thread but anyone looking for a quality zombie movie check out pontypool

Have it on my "to watch" list for this weekend. The weekend thats in it Im going to try and watch at least 2-2 horrors.

Pontypool and Noroi are both pencilled in so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Something wicked this way comes.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cheers,

Ben

The Lost Boys would be perfect, might scare them a bit but thats what you want sure, it's also cool as hell :D

Monster House is a decent animated movie from a few years ago, its about a house that eats people, its a lot of fun, reminded me a bit of The Goonies and the like.

You can't go wrong with the Ghostbusters movies eithe, they're old enough to start appreciating the classics now ;)

Ringu.
    Its not at all violent but is super scary.I dunno how many 12 year olds would be into subtitled films though.

Army Of Darkness.
    Its pretty schlocky and quite tame but there are some funny moments in it that Im sure they would enjoy.

Childs Play.
    Its a bit dated but Im sure they would get a kick out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

'The Devil's Backbone', particularly since its a film based around 12 year olds (or so). Subtitled but lets not patronise the future generation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Can Anyone recommend me a few lesser known recent horror films along the lines of Rammbock? I really liked that film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Ringu.
    Its not at all violent but is super scary.I dunno how many 12 year olds would be into subtitled films though.

Army Of Darkness.
    Its pretty schlocky and quite tame but there are some funny moments in it that Im sure they would enjoy.

Childs Play.
    Its a bit dated but Im sure they would get a kick out of it.

:eek: Ringu for a 12 year old?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Sam McCormack

Cheers,

Ben

Poltergeist also has a 15 cert by both IFCO and the UK cert office

jpm4 wrote: »
    :eek: Ringu for a 12 year old?

Why not?

There is no violence in it,no nudity.

Its creepy as hell but thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Why not?

There is no violence in it,no nudity.

Its creepy as hell but thats it.

Surely there is more to it than violence or nudity though? The Exorcist had little enough of those but was banned for years. Actually now I think about it I think the average 12 year old would probably be bored senseless by Ringu rather than traumatised by it, but I still think that it has some pretty disturbing images and themes that I would be reluctant to let a 12 year old watch.

For a group of 12 year olds it's hard to find horror films they will enjoy and that are suitable. Something like Event Horizon may work, I know it's an 18 cert but its one film which left a mark on many of my generation who saw it when we were 11 or 12. It's quite violent and adult and is the only film which ever freaked me out as a kid.

Maybe try some Hammer Horrors. You can pick up a fantastic box set in HMV for about 50 euro and get 20 films in it including the must see horror classic The Devil Rides Out which I cannot recommend enough. If you're okay with some brief nudity and cheesy violence then there's nothing in any of the films that's too adult.

Vampire Circus is another great Hammer classic. ATM I'm enjoying the exquisite Blu-Ray which came out in the US a few weeks back. It's the kind of horror that I was watching back when I was a kid.

• Advertisement

+1 for Arachnophobia and Ringu. The American remake is not half bad if you think they wont be into a subbed film.

How about Aliens? My favourite film when I was younger, it is nicely balanced with cool action and creepy suspense, it will definitely keep them entertained!

IT the clown is also really good and is almost a right of passage for young teens at this stage!

Advertisement