Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horror Movies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'm sadistic enough but I really think Alien or Aliens or Event Horizon would be a bit much for a 12 year old. Particularly Event Horizon. Ringu would probably bore him.

I really 'Devil's Backbone' or 'Pan's Labyrinth' are the way to go.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Orizio wrote: »
    I'm sadistic enough but I really think Alien or Aliens or Event Horizon would be a bit much for a 12 year old. Particularly Event Horizon. Ringu would probably bore him.

I really 'Devil's Backbone' or 'Pan's Labyrinth' are the way to go.

Pans labrynth would be perfect, but the average 12 year old wouldn't have the attention span for subtitles unfortunately.

Event Horizon would probably scar them for life, I could see Aliens going down well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Maybe go with Drag Me To Hell, Shaun of the Dead or 30 Days of Night.

I don't think any of them are particularly terrifying or contain inappropriate content for a 12 year old

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

What about The Fly (1986)? One of my favourite horror movies, not too gory either. But there is a little gore so he won't feel cheated.

Honestly, I doubt it is necessary to prevent children from watching almost any movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Might be a bit too old for a younger audience these days, but I'd recommend 'Watcher in the Woods'. It has a PG cert and, get this, it's a Disney movie. I remember watching this when I was ten and being quite frightened by it and at that stage I'd already seen 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' and 'Aliens', so this should deliver the goods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Im not the sensitive type, but there are some films here that I think would terrify a 12 year old... Ringu (or The Ring for that matter), Drag me to Hell, 30 Days of night even Poltergiest! You guys must have had stronger stomachs than me when I was that age. I even remember briefly seeing vampire circus when I was young and that put the s**ts up me.

I did see Aliens when I was that age, the bit with the people cocooned in the wall was a little disturbing. I'd stick with the PG stuff like Monster Squad, The Lost Boys gave me nightmares :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

To everyone who took the time to suggest movies for 12 year olds - THANK YOU!!

Great suggestions.

I think I'll go with a Hammer Horror (The Devil Rides Out or Vampire Circus) in order to introduce them to 'old fashioned' horror's and either Aliens, The Watcher in the Woods or Arachnophobia to give them a good (but not too much of a) fright!!! That should give them a Haloween sleepover they'll never forget.

Cheers all,

Ben.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

If I ever have kids they will frickin hate me.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

Pet Sematary scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. Watched it again last week and it's aged pretty well. Maybe that might be worth a go for your kid

The monster squad is also deadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

rossc007 wrote: »
    Im not the sensitive type, but there are some films here that I think would terrify a 12 year old... Ringu (or The Ring for that matter), Drag me to Hell, 30 Days of night even Poltergiest! You guys must have had stronger stomachs than me when I was that age. I even remember briefly seeing vampire circus when I was young and that put the s**ts up me.

I did see Aliens when I was that age, the bit with the people cocooned in the wall was a little disturbing. I'd stick with the PG stuff like Monster Squad, The Lost Boys gave me nightmares :D

Children are getting really gutless so, I watched Ringu when I was 12 and The Exorcist plenty of years before . :D Childhood is the best time to watch horror movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Constantine. Not a great film but enjoyable never the less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

whiterob81 wrote: »
    Pet Sematary scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. Watched it again last week and it's aged pretty well. Maybe that might be worth a go for your kid

The monster squad is also deadly

I agree, there s something about kids killing that freaks me out.children of the damned(original) is a perfect example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

watched Eden Lake today was pretty scarey :) I dont see the big deal in the exorcist guys:o watched it with my bro when i was abou 7 or 8 if i remember properly:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

jaykhunter wrote: »

That list has Ghostbusters II but not Ghostbusters. :D

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I wana watch a film of the supernatural horror genre to pass away the night,any ideas?prefer something very recent and if it has witchcraft or demons or ghosts would be cool,not looking for paranormal activity though
    Thanks

I'd recommend the remake of "The Mist" - One of the very few remakes I have to say I really enjoyed - Though it's not exactly witchcraft, ghosts or demons but it aint your common everyday Horror baddies, either ;)

The Mist isn't a remake, it's an adaptation. Are you confusing it with The Fog? If so make sure that you never recommended the Fog remake as its beyond dreadful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

So any good horror films on the TV tonight? Mad one last night and am still recovering so looking for a good horror to watch tonight. Or anything to download that might not be that popular?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That list has Ghostbusters II but not Ghostbusters. :D

Propbably cause of that scene down the railway lines with the heads and the voice.
    /shudder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

This used to scare the absolute pantaloons off me

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Spunge wrote: »

This used to scare the absolute pantaloons off me

Me too. But wheres the boob shot? I was promised boobs :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 theprotector

pandorum.frightening stuff,decent story and effects, good performances.watch it in the dark,has a strange sci fi,industrial gothic feel to it which will please horror fans.well worth the download.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

I watched Insidious last night, decent enough good suspense and some frights in it.

Whats that one with the little white kid running around scarying everyone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

If you're into early 80's horrors Dead and Buried is pretty good. Not overly scary or big budget but the film has a whole has a tense claustrophobic atmosphere. New Cop in town, folk getting killed, townsfolk acting weird etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Children of the Corn is a good old-fashioned horror or Candyman

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Well call it whatever it is - I'm not confusing it with the Fog, I'm on about the "Re-Imagining" or Adaptation or whatever of the old Mist. Really enjoyable film even if it's not scary by any means - Tense, sure.

You're not talking about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mist_%28film%29 are you? If not don't know what movie you mean as there's no movie with Mist in the title, well according to quick imdb search anyway :confused:

Finally got round to seeing Dead End on Halloween. Really great horror movie! Well-acted, funny in parts and suspenseful throughout. One well worth tracking down, plus it has Ray Wise in it, aka the President from Red Alert 2 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sraw

As for The Mist, I really enjoyed it. Would recommend watching the black and white version of it. Surprisingly adds to it. Also covers up some of the dodger special effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Come on, why is the movie I posted in question? I even put the trailer in the post... YES, the MIST, the NEWEST version, not the old one... Not THE FOG... Not THE FOG REMAKE...

The Mist - Remake, Adaptation, whatever you want to call it - I simply said remake - If thats not accurate I don't really care, all I posted was a recommendation to the bloke looking for a supernatural Horror and that was the first thing that sprang to mind, even if it's not about ghosts, demons and the likes as per his/her post.

I think that the reason for the question is that we thought The Mist was the first film about the book - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mist_(film)

It was adapted from a Stephen King book written in the 80's. A remake is not an adaptation, I don't think there was another film about the same book? In this regard, its a perfectly reasonable subject to question. So what old one?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sraw

Come on, why is the movie I posted in question? I even put the trailer in the post... YES, the MIST, the NEWEST version, not the old one... Not THE FOG... Not THE FOG REMAKE...

The Mist - Remake, Adaptation, whatever you want to call it - I simply said remake - If thats not accurate I don't really care, all I posted was a recommendation to the bloke looking for a supernatural Horror and that was the first thing that sprang to mind, even if it's not about ghosts, demons and the likes as per his/her post.

Not sure if you were including me in that. I wasn't referring to an older version of the film. I have a two disc copy of The Mist(the movie you are referring to) and on the second disc there is a black and white cut of it. Apparently the director originally wanted it shot that way. I was just pointing out that it made a decent film into a slightly better one, well at least I thought so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I think the bolded bit is whats throwing people a bit.The Mist was never made into a movie until Darabont did it so the "newest" version of it is the only version of it ie the theatrical release and the slightly longer black and white cut of the same movie.
    :)

Advertisement